Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yeah, I'm no hater.

Oh, no, of course not.That's why you are posting as prolifically as you are in a Leupold hate thread.

Don’t confuse me enjoying discussing scope function with me hating a particular brand.

Though in addition to the mechanical issues, I’m also not much of a fan of the direction in which Leupold’s corporate governance has taken it.

I don't mind a little imprecision in adjustment on my inexpensive scopes. After seeing Leupold come in here on their live stream and say what they said, I don't think I'll ever buy more than their base models. A VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot is exactly what I want in spec. I have come so close to buying one several times, but the information I have absorbed on the internet has given me pause. Unfortunately, there is nothing else out there that competes with that model.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Teal
Some people consider failure to be "completely unusable" - others say "if it doesn't repeatably track or return to zero - it's not working as it should - that's failure"

First group - says "my car burns oil, the passenger door only opens from the outside and there's a weird shimmy above 55mph but I get where I'm going and have been for 2 years!"

2nd groups says "it may work but it's still a chunk of chitt, this is better over here...."

For the person who buys a rifle to hunt deer with, a scope behaving imprecisely during zero is of no consequence. That shooter will get it zeroed and never dick with it again. That's not a failure, since the scope serves its purpose of allowing the shooter to kill deer. Then an internet blowhard comes along and insists that scope is a failure despite the fact that it does exactly what the shooter wants it to do.

Return to zero isn't just after an adjustment is made at the caps. It needs to return to zero after recoil.

Ideally - you sight in a rifle once and done. None of these mad rushes the 10 days before season to "make sure it's on" with a couple shots that turns into 6.

Rifles never should lose zero sitting in the cabinet. They lose zero or fail to RTZ after recoil AND turret spinning - should one chose to do so.

It is lost on some people that when comparing two scopes, one with an erector assembly designed and built to move correctly through lots of use (track, RTZ, etc.), and the other that moves erratically due to design and build quality, it is not unreasonable to expect the first to stay put more reliably than the second, as well as moving more reliably.

That's not lost on me at all. That doesn't change my reality that once I have set a scope for a given load, I have never had shifting issues with scopes that have had some mystery in zeroing. I am going to pull my 257 Roberts Ruger Ultralight out of the safe this October and shoot 2, 3 round groups at 100 yards. It is going to give me the same 1 1/2 inch groups that it has for the past 20 years, to the same point of impact with the same load. I may or may not use it during hunting season this year. If I do use it, I will have a one shot kill.

Carry on with whatever works for you. Nobody is trying to change your reality.

The problem is that when you and others state something like “been using 20 Leupolds for 30 years, with no failures,” you’re implying that your Leupolds work as advertised. I would submit that your use/requirements of the scope do not depend on whether or not it works as advertised. Leupold scopes are advertised (whether implicitly or explicitly) as being adjustable in specific increments (whether 1/4 MOA, 0.1 MRAD, etc.), and retaining that erector setting even when subjected to repeated recoil. IMO/IME, an unacceptably high percentage of Leups don’t perform to these standards.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[quote=Clarkm]I have hundreds of rifles, like I am living in a gunsmith junk yard.

When I go to the range, I take tools and lots of rifles to test.
I help other people who are having trouble with bad groups.
For years I noticed that more than half my problems and other people's problems were the scope base screws were loose.

Then I did this simple derivation:

Scope base screws are not stressed in shear, but in tension.
If my 142 gr bullet maximum acceleration is from 500 fps to 2000 fps in 0.4 ms then an 8 pound rifle will try to accelerate from 1.27 fps to 5.07 fps in 0.4 ms. This is an acceleration of 9500 ft/sec squared.
If a 2 pound scope were part of that 8 pound rifle during that acceleration the force between the rifle and the scope would be
f = m a = 2 pounds 9500 f/ss = [9500 f/ss] [2 pounds / [Gc = 32 f/ss]]= 594 pounds.

If there were 4 screws in shear that would be 148 pounds force / screw.
That screw has a 0.12" minor diameter
A = pi r r = .011 sq in
Grade 5 bolt [American cap screws] has a shear strength of 72,000 psi
Each screw would have a shear strength of 814 pounds.

But they are not in shear.
They are in tension.
Grade 5 bolts are good for 127,000 psi in tension.
Each screw is good for 1436 pounds force in tension.
They are pre loaded to about half that, making a clamping force of 700 pounds.
The coefficient of static friction between the steel scope base and the receiver is ~ 0.6
So each screw provides a static state up to 420 pounds recoil force.
4 screws 1680 pounds.
But the hard kicking lightweight rifle and heavy scope only have 594 pounds peak force between them.
1680 pounds friction is greater than 420 pounds recoil, therefor the bases stay put.
If they were to slip, the screws might see shear forces, but that would require operator error in tightening the screws.

But you already noticed that 22 rimfires stay sighted in.

You can put all the oil you want on a 22.

Oil can cause wood stocks to split, but probably not with a 22.
[Clarkm I also try to help folks at the range. Loose mounting screws are the number one issue. Folks will shoot several boxes of ammo before asking for help. After may 10 instances this year alone the first thing I do is grab the scope and see if it moves. Many times it does. I had only one scope failure in may be 50 years until I started verifying zero from a good rest. One other thing I noticed is how few scopes actually are repeatable. I well remember with the old Weavers and Redfields if I ever got them zeroed not messing with the adjustments. I am still amazed at the number of "hunters" who refuse to shoot paper at least to verify their sights.
The only 2 Leupolds I have had that actually failed were a 2x7 after maybe 40 years on between a Number1 in 375 H&H and a Number1 in 300 win. and a new 1.5x5 after maybe 150 rounds on a .416 Rigby. All my fixed powers 2.5, 3, 4, and 6. Have been very reliable as have several 3x9's.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by blairvt
...Loving the ignore feature! I know Stick said something but I don't have to read it...

I know his style is rough and unforgiving, but when it comes to shooting he is worth listening to...in the case of a forum he is worth reading.

That loser is never worth listening to. You can get the same or better info from normal people around here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
...Loving the ignore feature! I know Stick said something but I don't have to read it...

I know his style is rough and unforgiving, but when it comes to shooting he is worth listening to...in the case of a forum he is worth reading.

Not to me. anyone that calls me a [bleep] or whatetever crap comes from his mouth while hiding behind a keyboard isn't worth listening to. I visit where he is supposed to be from a couple times a year. I gave him several chances to talk to me like that in person. Never a response. I've since realized that was stupid of me. The mentally ill can't be held accountable for their words, and if I did kick the crap out of him what would that make me? Best to just ignore

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Not to me. anyone that calls me a [bleep] or whatetever crap comes from his mouth while hiding behind a keyboard isn't worth listening to. I visit where he is supposed to be from a couple times a year. I gave him several chances to talk to me like that in person. Never a response. I've since realized that was stupid of me. The mentally ill can't be held accountable for their words, and if I did kick the crap out of him what would that make me? Best to just ignore

If one's purpose is to educate and influence an audience, then one probably shouldn't refer to said audience with vulgar, insulting words.

Since B.S. (how fitting?) is constantly doing that, one must come to the conclusion that those aren't his goals with his posts. If that is the case, then what are his goals, and why does he do it?

They certainly are not to educate and influence others. At that, he fails miserably.

About the only parts of his posts I actually understand are the vulgar terms. The rest is semi-literate jibberish.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Yeah, I'm no hater.

Oh, no, of course not.That's why you are posting as prolifically as you are in a Leupold hate thread.

Don’t confuse me enjoying discussing scope function with me hating a particular brand.

Though in addition to the mechanical issues, I’m also not much of a fan of the direction in which Leupold’s corporate governance has taken it.

I don't mind a little imprecision in adjustment on my inexpensive scopes. After seeing Leupold come in here on their live stream and say what they said, I don't think I'll ever buy more than their base models. A VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot is exactly what I want in spec. I have come so close to buying one several times, but the information I have absorbed on the internet has given me pause. Unfortunately, there is nothing else out there that competes with that model.

Well Paul, I can tell you my three VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedots are working great for me. I think you would like them. No issues except for the pitiful wide duplex that I can live with because of the lit dot.
I use these for hunting, because of the features and lighter weight, very few scopes have this combination. I don't need my scopes to pound tent stakes. Or anchor a ship. I don't blast away with my hunting rifles all year long. I've done my load development and they shoot with very good accuracy. Before the season I check them to my satisfation and run them well past what I would shoot at live game in the field. I see no reason to subject them to any unnecessary recoil all year long. Would they hold up to 10,000 rounds like all these naysayers shoot? Don't know, don't care.

Much to the dismay of the haters, these are working well for what I use them for.
If they did not, they would be tripped.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's not about hate it's when you realize a product does not work as it should. For me, I change scopes a lot when they will not reliably adjust to zero its very revealing, especially after a Leupold has come back from the repair shop.

Life is short want reliability in my scopes, now that reloading components are tough to come by want to stick with stuff that works as it should.

For those that have Leupolds that have worked for years have you ever tried adjusting them to see if they track and go back to zero?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kk alaska
It's not about hate it's when you realize a product does not work as it should. For me, I change scopes a lot when they will not reliably adjust to zero its very revealing, especially after a Leupold has come back from the repair shop.

Life is short want reliability in my scopes, now that reloading components are tough to come by want to stick with stuff that works as it should.

For those that have Leupolds that have worked for years have you ever tried adjusting them to see if they track and go back to zero?

Yes, mine are functioning the way they should. For three years, they are a fairly new model.

But I don't pick the rifles up by the scope turret and spin them around like Stick does either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Why the fugg would I do that ?

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart

i gotta agree why would i care if it still shoots center ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Serious question.
We have determined that NF, SWFA and some bushnells do everything that Leupold users are not getting. Easy initial zero, rtz, etc.
Why doesn't Leupold spend an extra 15$ and add a couple ounces, to get what the others give. Wouldn't have to make any announcement, just fix it. They would corner the market as they had at one time.
I often wonder how a scope is determined to not be moving a bullet 1/4 inch at 100 yards if the gun is only capable of shooting a 3/4" group, and thats a pretty good shooting gun if folks will admit it.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Blackheart

i gotta agree why would i care if it still shoots center ?

Yes I have tried. I have a vx 111 3.5-10x40 that wouldn't track.
Ran the windage and elevation knobs all the way in and put,then reset it to the center of adjustment. It tracked fine after that.
It had been sitting on the shelf in the safe for a few years.
I do have duplicate calibers that I shoot different weights of bullets from, not a knob turner.
So it's not a big deal if I change a load and have to run the knobs in and put every few years on a given scope.
The Leupold isn't the only scope I have ever owned that I have had to do this to. So it's not just a Leupold issue.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sid Gray
Serious question.
We have determined that NF, SWFA and some bushnells do everything that Leupold users are not getting. Easy initial zero, rtz, etc.
Why doesn't Leupold spend an extra 15$ and add a couple ounces, to get what the others give.

I have wondered the same thing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well i don`t think lower priced type scope like the common 3X9 Leupold scope that hunters use for hunting give a chit if his scope tracks perfect and yes i use this cheaper scope sometimes too. i also have killed more critters with a 22 Hornet with a lower priced 4 x Leupold than any other rifle /scope combination i own plus i sighted this combo in 4 years ago ,i have no ideal if it tracks or hits the center of the circle/bulleyes anymore but it still kills those critters rather its 90 degrees or 20 below ,this rifle combo hangs in the uninsulated garage all year long never gets cleaned either or checked for still sighted in.
but when i shoot long range either at targets ,for competition or longer range hunting over 300 yards then yes i use a expensive NIghtforce scope . so why would most hunters spend a bunch of money on a expensive scope to kill a deer at 50 -75 yards once a year ? when a lower priced Leupold will still work just fine for a hunter ?

Last edited by pete53; 06/09/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A VERY Wise Man,stated early in this Thread:

(''Nobody with a shred of sense or anything bordering a First Fhuqking Clue,could field one with a straight face and say "that's good",as they are blown out of the water at every price point. The less you "know","see" or "do",the "better" they are. Unfortunately,Reupold is for Crying Karens,as it is a warm/fuzzy Gold Ring notion,predicated on that which one was,but is no longer. Hint.'').

Not that I don't enjoy Dumbfhuqks arguing over how little they do,to corroborate same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A short, fat, unfit, pathetic, self-loathing cundt of a human once said:

"A VERY Wise Man,stated early in this Thread:

(''Nobody with a shred of sense or anything bordering a First Fhuqking Clue,could field one with a straight face and say "that's good",as they are blown out of the water at every price point. The less you "know","see" or "do",the "better" they are. Unfortunately,Reupold is for Crying Karens,as it is a warm/fuzzy Gold Ring notion,predicated on that which one was,but is no longer. Hint.'').

Not that I don't enjoy Dumbfhuqks arguing over how little they do,to corroborate same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A short, fat, unfit, pathetic, self-loathing cundt of a human once said:
LOL

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Funny, yet true.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PaulaBurnedHard,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon a typical day here,incorporating more Splendid Wares on a single outing,than you've "seen" in your "life". I get it,that you Whining CLUELESS Brokedicks are in over your pointy heads and haven't the "abilities","means" or "comprehension" to field Skookum Rigging,but at least you gals "get" to read about it and clamor to the Splend Pixels. That's gotta "count" for something? Don't it? Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Keep them Excuses flowing,as you extoll the Sweet "Satisfactions" that are your's via Vagina Monologue and repeatedly Meltdown. You Crying Karens are certainly a "rugged" lot! Hint.

Don't "forget": (''Nobody with a shred of sense or anything bordering a First Fhuqking Clue,could field one with a straight face and say "that's good",as they are blown out of the water at every price point. The less you "know","see" or "do",the "better" they are. Unfortunately,Reupold is for Crying Karens,as it is a warm/fuzzy Gold Ring notion,predicated on that which one was,but is no longer. Hint.'').

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 11 of 57 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.