Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
If properly done , seems I have done just as well still hunting , set hunting , or tree stands .
Cant say either has been any more productive than the other .
Kenneth

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I prefer the zen meditative ground sit under a tree, rifle on lap.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
I prefer the zen meditative ground sit under a tree, rifle on lap.

Yeah but it has to be the right tree.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does matter is the skill of the hunter, and to hunt where the deer are.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I agree, especially with hunting where the deer are. The clowns on most of the TV's hunting shows prove that hunting great places produce results, even if you halfasss know what you're doing. I could put those mullets on my mule deer place and most of them wouldn't see a deer in a week, much less kill one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Knowing the habits and habitat are the real keys to successful whitetail hunting. Knowing how sunrise and sunsets move whitetails through heavy cover is very important. Knowing the fields they feed in at night and setting up in favorable wind at sunrise or prior to sunset gives you a great chance at a big buck traveling coulees, creek beds or river bottoms either coming to feed or going to bed down.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Knowing the habits and habitat are the real keys to successful whitetail hunting. Knowing how sunrise and sunsets move whitetails through heavy cover is very important. Knowing the fields they feed in at night and setting up in favorable wind at sunrise or prior to sunset gives you a great chance at a big buck traveling coulees, creek beds or river bottoms either coming to feed or going to bed down.

You summed it up quite well. Look for scrapes also.sitting on the ground seems to bring me ticks.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't say that has been my own experience. I've been seen or scented way more frequently when I've been on the ground than when I've been in a tree stand. My biggest bucks have all been killed from tree stands and the shot presentation has been much better from an elevated stand on an un-alarmed animal.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I agree, especially with hunting where the deer are. The clowns on most of the TV's hunting shows prove that hunting great places produce results, even if you halfasss know what you're doing. I could put those mullets on my mule deer place and most of them wouldn't see a deer in a week, much less kill one.

Agree 100%. First and foremost, gotta fish where the fish are.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
If properly done , seems I have done just as well still hunting , set hunting , or tree stands .
Kenneth

You did not include a deer drive, which is in my quiver.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The part about hunting where the deer are is a given. Skill of the hunter does not always matter , case in point is if you put a low skill hunter on stand in a deer drive they have a good chance of scoring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s all effective. Where I hunt, pressure from other hunters, and lately from dog walkers and birdwatchers is key to how and where I go on the WMA. With normalization well along, I expect that those pressures will be reduced on weekdays, at least.

As a stiff old man, treestands are less alluring than they once were, especially the hanging part. Sitting on the ground ain’t much better, so I bought a nice Alps stool with compartments and added shoulder straps. Only a fraction heavier than my regular pack, and it puts me high enough to see and shoot without cramping. Still hunting is risky on public land unless the parking lots are empty. It’s a great way to find good sitting spots too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

You did not include a deer drive, which is in my quiver.

Hard to find people that do deer drives anymore. Too many watch hunting shows. Sometimes you have to beat feet and rattle the bushes to get them to move.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to do them when I hunted in Southern Maryland as a lad. Mostly just exercise, and if anyone got any shooting, it was usually a driver. Have to admit they weren’t very well planned.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deer drives are a blast!

M1A and a big ol mag full of 168 OTM

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt that drives move deer and the camps that drove deer back in my youth always had a full meat pole. Our camp was mostly made up of dad's older lodge friends and sons of lodge guys who also didn't know what they were doing. Us younger guys were along to drive the green swamps for the old guys and do dishes. We got more deer when I started my own deer camp. Drives were fun for the camp that was making the drive, but not much fun if you were from another group posting on public land when the drivers came through and emptied the woods. People everywhere was pretty much the reason that I sold out in NE WI and drove 350 miles across the state to get away from people. Brown is down was the mentality in the NE and the older deer live where people aren't.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
No doubt that drives move deer and the camps that drove deer back in my youth always had a full meat pole. Our camp was mostly made up of dad's older lodge friends and sons of lodge guys who also didn't know what they were doing. Us younger guys were along to drive the green swamps for the old guys and do dishes. We got more deer when I started my own deer camp. Drives were fun for the camp that was making the drive, but not much fun if you were from another group posting on public land when the drivers came through and emptied the woods. People everywhere was pretty much the reason that I sold out in NE WI and drove 350 miles across the state to get away from people. Brown is down was the mentality in the NE and the older deer live where people aren't.

No doubt deer drives can work for you or against you on public lands. There have been times when I learned a large group was going to hold a drive and I had doe tags in my pocket, I purposely placed myself in the drive and shot deer. On occasion when driving public land other hunters were caught up in our drive and they shot deer. I can recall a handful of times that at the end of the drive we helped the hunter drag out their deer.

A drive does not always empty the woods as you say. One of the biggest bucks I have ever shot in Jackson County east of Black River Falls, WI was when I was on a stand along Hay Creek in public land. I was there at the crack of dawn and about 9:00 AM a group of hunters pushed a drive right past me. I waved as a couple drivers went buy. A few minutes afterward here come a buck and two does sneaking thru the tag alders right towards me.

Over the years I have learned a lot about deer behavior when they are subjected to a deer drive. At my Grandfather's deer camp in the big woods of northern Wisconsin, Dad, uncles, cousins, friends and myself we would take turns driving and standing. The drive consisted of a straight line, yeh, it had to be straight and we moved at a steady pace to the end. There was a lot of deer killed, but some of us noticed that a buck would stay put in what ever cover he was hiding in and after the drivers went by they broke out of there. I and some of the other youngsters suggested we slow down or stop and go the drive. Nope, the old timers said we have been doing it our way for years and shot a lot of deer. Plus, there was always another drive to be made and we got to get to it.

Years later, my brother and I established our own deer camp, although in the central part of Wisconsin. Built a cabin on land right in the middle of the Black River State Forest and next to acres and acres of county land. This was former ag land in sandy soil and the farmers went broke back in the 1930s drought years. State and county bought up this land and in some cases even relocated the farmers. My brother and I along with some cousins and a few friends formed a new way to drive deer. There was always 15 to 20 hunters in the group. We begin implementing a slow start and stop movement of the drivers in a straight line and this seemed to help keep deer ahead towards the standers. Then we noticed deer were moving left and right across the front of the drivers and the very outside drivers were seeing deer bust out of the drive formation.

We put our heads together and decided that if we set up a "V" formation with tip of "V" directed towards standers that this would confuse the deer even more than a start/stop movement. Wow! Did this ever change deer movement. The standers saw more deer straight ahead of them which meant the deer were not busting out left and right of the drive as much as in the past. Plus, the very outside drivers got more close shot opportunities.

A engineer in the group, my brother-in-law, suggested we set up a half-moon or half-circle formation with start/stop. The effect this had was the deer. instead of generally staying within the drive, were busting out of the drive and some trying to circle back in behind the drive. The very outside drivers got some shooting, but stander shots diminished, so we abandoned that idea.

What formation are we using today? "V" with two drag drivers at the mouth of the "V". Those drag drivers are catching some nice bucks who think it is smart to circle back behind the drive instead of busting out into the unknown.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Lots of good points here . Yes I did forget the drive and have only been involved in three , they were productive . Have been on several dog hunts , as any hunting , if the deer are there , it works .
But not my cup of tea , but like the drivers , if you're in the area , it can turn a dead day lively .
Never hunted a store bought blind but a couple times , not much luck , but setting in natural cover works great . Tree stands need to be located with concealment in mind too .
Checking the cameras , seems promising for a good meat harvest , but so far nothing like in the past . Number of hunters has took a serious upturn and seems the bug bucks have gotten less and less or moved .
Good luck to all , Kenneth

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roundoak, I've been reading here long enough to know that your hunters know what they are doing drive wise and you guys kill some terrific animals over there. The old guys in our camp were calling the shots and because we had pretty inexperienced guys making the drives, they insisted that like a lot of camps everybody barked like dogs or made as much noise as possible to scare the deer and to keep us all in line. We even had a guy who would shoot up half a box of '06's every drive because according to him, that really scared the deer. Talk about screwing up the peace and tranquility of what a lot of people posting are looking for in a hunting experience! No doubt those big bucks go nocturnal and need a push to get them on their feet, but how we did it was pretty ineffective and other hunters never wanted to be in the same woods with us. I also remember one time when I was driving my Blazer down a logging road when guys were just finishing up a drive and a doe came running out between me and a stander. It made my blood run cold when I saw him pull up about to cut loose on that deer. The difference in the number of shots that you hear today vs. back in the driver days tells you that most guys are stationary one and done hunters instead of the volleys of shots that we heard back in the '70's when everyone had a 742 Remington.

My other auto is a .45

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Deer drives are a blast!

M1A and a big ol mag full of 168 OTM

When I was a kid it was 742’s in 30-06 with an aftermarket (illegal) 10 rd mag stoked full of 180gr Sierra RN. Never forget they put this guy on stand who couldn’t shoot for [bleep], my uncle told him, we drive those deer down you drop every round in that magazine!

Sounded like all hell broke loose and when we got down there, there were 8 dead deer and 2 blood trails that led to two more.
He was grinning like an idiot and everyone else was trying to count how many tags the group could muster up really quick.
When we headed home that night they were all piled in the back of uncles baby blue econoline van. I’ll never forget how funny it looked all those deer piled up in there. I remember cutting and grinding meat for what seemed like an eternity and all the men drinking out of mason jars. I asked dad what it was and he said “some good old Mountain Dew”. Nobody does deer drives around here anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
421 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.