-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got into some bad lots last year: at least I hope that is the deal, though some people have me wondering if it is my rifle instead. Shooting and loading is a chore for me that I kind of dread, so I haven't played around or looked for anything else for this rifle yet. I just switched to a different rifle for last season. I really want to like these things, and will try a few more lots when I can find some. I haven't exactly been looking too hard though.

Take this for what it is worth....2 separate lots, 8 twist at 2880 FPS so I'm not exactly running them past their design parameters. Everyone else seems to have much better results with them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't dismiss that concern, T. I had some weird stuff happen at 1000+ yards with factory ammo, one time. And I don't have an explanation for it.

Good point, bringing it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still think you have a particularly rough throat, or something similar, that is hard on bullets.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I got into some bad lots last year: at least I hope that is the deal, though some people have me wondering if it is my rifle instead. Shooting and loading is a chore for me that I kind of dread, so I haven't played around or looked for anything else for this rifle yet. I just switched to a different rifle for last season. I really want to like these things, and will try a few more lots when I can find some. I haven't exactly been looking too hard though.

Take this for what it is worth....2 separate lots, 8 twist at 2880 FPS so I'm not exactly running them past their design parameters. Everyone else seems to have much better results with them.

Same rig that does weird stuff with VLDs?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, same rifle.
The AMAXs were fine through it and worked fine on a few elk. The barrel was throughly cleaned after the first 147s blew up, thinking that may have had something to do with it but they still were blowing up after the cleaning and with both lots of bullets.

I didn't play with the beger VLDs after the deep, copper cleaning though. Maybe I should.

Last edited by T_Inman; 06/09/21. Reason: Clarity

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Might be worth running a few Tubbs Final finish through it. It might smooth out the throat some if that is what causing it.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, same rifle.
The AMAXs were fine through it and worked fine on a few elk. The barrel was throughly cleaned after the first 147s blew up, thinking that may have had something to do with it but they still were blowing up after the cleaning and with both lots of bullets.

I didn't play with the beger VLDs after the deep, copper cleaning though. Maybe I should.

I agree with Jordan. Your barrel has something going on no doubt....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Damn Dude! We have some common DNA. I too dread reloading. Some people get off on it as a relaxing experience but its just drudgery to me. I do it because I like bug hole groups, not for a relaxing experience. I get too uptight worrying about every step. I've been reloading for 40 years and still can't relax while doing it.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/10/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard several reports of Hornady match bullets having jacket failures when driven hard out of hot, fast twist match rifle barrels. Probably the reason Berger target bullets have thicker jackets than their hunting versions...

I do like the old A-Maxes out of my 6.5-06 for Coues deer.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
I've heard several reports of Hornady match bullets having jacket failures when driven hard out of hot, fast twist match rifle barrels. Probably the reason Berger target bullets have thicker jackets than their hunting versions...

Yeah, T_Inman isn't the only one to report a problem. There's mention of it in different forums with various speculation as to actual cause. Might not be widespread, but I don't think it can be dismissed.

I believe some of my boxes of component bullets specified 8-twist. The newer boxes specify 8.5-twist. Not sure if it was a typo error, or Horny's attempt to help mitigate the issue with tight bores. I have no idea.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Was all that necessary?

You forgot the fishing pole.in the pic.

Rub it in, you gottem, I don't .

LOL.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My experience hunting has been limited to one antelope doe. Specs are a 1-8" twist , 2965 fps muzzle velocity , range was 475 yds. This load will shoot .25" out of my gun. My concern came when I shot a wee high and back on this doe. She went right down so I was not concerned. When I got to her , I seen I had hit just at the spine, but a little lower in more meat than bone. The spine was not broken and I could see the bullet in the entrance wound. the jacket was all that was there and weighed 40 some grains. The thought of using it on game again has left me. I generally use 130gr JLK's or Bergers and will continue to use them instead..... after hearing about jacket failures , I will restrict the Hornadys to practice and such. They were cheaper and shoot great but 2-3" of penetration is not acceptable.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not good. Any chance the bullet impacted something before hitting the doe?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, GSSP took an elk, just shy of 1,000 yds, using a 6.5x47, with either a 127 or 129 grain.

My point is, IMHO, not much you can't do with a bullet around 130 grains in a 6.5. I am all for heavy for caliber bullets, when driven at a decent speed to get proper stability. It seems the 147s are hit or miss in smaller rounds. Barrel length, specs of bore and chamber leade, etc. all matter as does powder.

Some rifles may not marry well with 147s.........but there are many lighter bullets that will get the job done. As to jacket 'failure' and integrity.......things can and do happen. Murphy's law.

Good shooting and hunting!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These three bullets are 147gr eld-m. One is from a caribou I shot at 405yds impact approx 2175fps. It was a slightly quartering away shot that went in just behind front shoulder and found it under the hide on the opposite side part way up the neck.

The other two were into a good sized mule deer buck at about 80 yds and approx 2560fps impact velocity. Both caught by the hide on the other side.

The two with higher impact velocity have less retained weight but lots of internal damage and both animals were quick kills.

https://i.imgur.com/GL5xugE.jpg

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/23/21.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not at all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep expecting all these bad results, and am disappointed every damn time…..

Last edited by huntsman22; 06/23/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

If you really believe that then you're totally clueless on this subject.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.