Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Cop Flips Pregnant Woman's Car While She Tries To Pull Over Safely
An Arkansas State Police trooper used a PIT maneuver on a woman who had allegedly been speeding
Erin Marquis
Today 12:53PM
https://jalopnik.com/cop-flips-pregnant-womans-while-she-tries-to-pull-over-1847062704

A woman in Arkansas is suing a State Police trooper who flipped her vehicle while she was trying to find a safe place to pull over. She wants to change how and when the police department applies the PIT maneuver against drivers and fleeing suspects.

The dashcam video released this week is so incredibly frustrating. The woman behind the wheel, Nicole Harper, was driving home on I-67 last year when seasoned veteran of the State Police force Senior Cpl. Rodney Dunn attempted to pull her over for speeding. Fox16 has what happened next:

Dunn says she fled, Harper clams she was trying to find a safe place to stop on a section of interstate that has a reduced shoulder.

Dash camera video from Dunn’s patrol car showed Harper pulled into the right lane, slowed down, and turned on hazards.

Less than two minutes after turning on his blue lights, Dunn performed a PIT maneuver, which caused Harper’s car to crash into the concrete median and flip.

“In my head I was going to lose the baby,” said Harper, who was pregnant with her daughter at the time of the crash.

Dunn’s body mic recorded him talking with Harper after the crash.

“Why didn’t you stop?” Dunn questioned.

“Because I didn’t feel it was safe,” Harper said. Dunn responded, “well this is where you ended up.”

Harper went on to say, “I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit.” Dunn said, “no ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

We all know police chases are totally worth it, but this one is particularly worth it because Harper was actually doing exactly what she was supposed to do. You can see Harper slow her car down and flip its hazard lights on. There really wasn’t much of a shoulder to speak of for her to pull over on; she’s all the way over and still half-way into the right lane. For her own and the officer’s safety, it makes no sense to stop sticking half way out into a lane. Dunn’s own squad car doesn’t make it completely on to the shoulder on this stretch of highway.

Anyone could see this isn’t a safe place to stop, but Dunn gave Harper all of two minutes before he nudged her car, sending it across all lanes of traffic, into the median and eventually onto its roof. She was less than a mile from the nearest exit with a wide shoulder. Harper’s lawyer is arguing she was attacked with a deadly weapon, all for doing exactly what the Arkansas State Police’s Driver License Study Guide says you are supposed to do. From Fox16 again:

The lawsuit points to the dash camera video, arguing it showed how Harper signaled she wanted to stop.

“I feel like I had heard that’s what you do, you slow down, you put your flashers on and you drive to a safe place,” Harper explained.

Turns out that’s textbook what to do according to State Police’s “Driver License Study Guide.”Under

“What to do When You Are Stopped,” number one says to use, “emergency flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop.”

After the crash, Dunn can be heard saying, “no we don’t anticipate vehicles rolling over nor do we want that to happen.” He went on to say, “all you had to do was slow down and stop.”

Harper responded, “I did slow down, I turned on my hazards, I thought I was doing the right thing.”

Fox16 found a startling rise in the Arkansas State Police troopers’ use of PIT maneuvers. Police used PIT on 144 drivers last year, killing three people. That’s double the rate over 2019.

Very few police forces have strict rules about car chases on the books. Most precincts leave whether to chase a suspect or driver or not up to their officers’ discretion. Those that rely on their officers’ best judgement tend to have higher rates of chases, Appeal found. In this instance, a person who was obeying the law could have been killed along with her unborn child, all thanks to a veteran police officer not knowing the law he is meant to enforce, or being unable to resist performing a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver.

Harper is not alone. Each year hundreds of people are hurt or killed during police chases, the equivalent of one a day according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Police chases are terrible for public safety. The nonprofit FairWarning estimates around 20 percent of police chase-related deaths are bystanders. And often, the subjects of those pursuits aren’t even charged with a crime. Take these stats from New Jersey for instance:

The chases are not yielding arrests for violent crimes either. “Two out of three eluders are not charged with a crime that the FBI tracks as violent, like murder, aggravated assault, robbery or rape,” writes Ford. Among those charged with violent crimes, the most common charge was assault on a police officer, “but most of those charges were dismissed later in court.”

I really hope she wins her case. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: police stops and police chases both need to end

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 06/09/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
BP-B2

U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
On the plus side Arkansas has been fortunate in murdering so few. Our local sheriff's has killed more in just this one county than AR did in the whole state.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This would get me fired....maybe I should move to Arkansas? Sounds fun!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
On the plus side Arkansas has been fortunate in murdering so few. Our local sheriff's has killed more in just this one county than AR did in the whole state.

Homicide and murder are two totally different things.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wtf is wrong with her? She deserved to die . . . . . . .

guarantee one of the residents will say this shortly.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hopefully it is a massive lawsuit and win.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Didn't appear to speed up - used signal - shoulder very narrow there -emergency flasher on . Go full tactical

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Didn't appear to speed up - used signal - shoulder very narrow there -emergency flasher on . Go full tactical

Lmfao

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
He was trained in the maneuver and dammit he was gonna use it!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by KenMi
Hopefully it is a massive lawsuit and win.

For? If he followed procedure he qualifies for immunity.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Holy crap! A pit maneuver for a speeding ticket?? That's akin to shooting the tires out. Both can cause death pretty fast on the highway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by add

Practice makes perfect . . .

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by add

I think that's it.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Holy crap! A pit maneuver for a speeding ticket?? That's akin to shooting the tires out. Both can cause death pretty fast on the highway.

She didn’t do what she was told.

He’ll for all we know she may even be unvaccinated.

She got what she had coming!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't imagine why he didn't follow up with a mag dump and a head kick !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wouldn’t have pulled over on that shoulder or stopped in the roadway.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
While it may be true that this cop was a dick and it wasn't needed I'd still like to know what the man in blue did to the OP. He seems to search these stories out to post here.

Fuggin Loser.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Aren’t you supposed to chase a suspect for 20 miles through the suburbs at 100mph before initiating the PIT?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
While it may be true that this cop was a dick and it wasn't needed I'd still like to know what the man in blue did to the OP. He seems to search these stories out to post here.

Fuggin Loser.

He came home to his boyfriend sucking off the fuzz. 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Turns out that’s textbook what to do according to State Police’s “Driver License Study Guide.”Under

“What to do When You Are Stopped,” number one says to use, “emergency flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop.”

He found her a safe place to stop...stupid biatch...upside down against the Median Jersey Wall.

But, heck...she's white, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.