Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee_R

On a side note, to Rock Chuck's comment about 2 of 3 not rattling...they're seeing that more often. The logic being the ones that rattle get killed so the ones that don't are passing that trait to the next generation.

Sounds like we should at least be killing the silent ones.....

Quando omni flunkus moritati
BP-B2

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by Lee_R

On a side note, to Rock Chuck's comment about 2 of 3 not rattling...they're seeing that more often. The logic being the ones that rattle get killed so the ones that don't are passing that trait to the next generation.

Sounds like we should at least be killing the silent ones.....

A co-worker had that policy - if they were "gentlemanly" enough to rattle he would let them live, but woe unto the silent ones.

Dale

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My phone doesn't take very clear photos so it's a tad blurry.

Next time, get a lot closer, and hold the camera still for awhile, ta let the focus adjust.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think rattlers are neat, but antivenom is like 18 grand. I had snake gaiters on once, and they worked. But the SOB bit "me" above the boot line and I was four miles on foot -- so I kill every rattler I'm aware of.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RUM7
I HATE those basterds. Kill everyone I see or hear.
If not for me, for the gun dogs that might find them.

Dogs can sure seem to find them. All my setters have been snake proofed. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Freeze-dried now. 🙂 From western SD prairie dog shoot. Ran into several of them over a couple days. Picked this one up with my shooting sticks and dumped it into my cooler of ice thinking by the time we got home, he’d be real lethargic. At home cautiously opened my cooler and he started buzzing pretty well again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I kill every rattler I come across.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats a big one RC! I found this prairie rattler a while back while out with my snake detector. A little guy but ornery!! I fed him a .45 acp round to the noggin.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
In New Mexico, on an Explorer Scout trip to Phillmout Ranch, a few of the boys were teasing a rattler with a stick.

I stayed way back.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All ya fuggin' idiots out there killin' every snake you see are much like the chinks who were told to kill every bird so that they wouldn't eat the grains... then the locust population exploded and ate more grain than the birds did. Nature is about balance. If it's within your curtilage, sure... but otherwise move around it/move it to another area, or continue to be a emotional thinker rather than a logical one and kill every one because it makes you FEEL better..

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eeeeeeeek !

Said BobbyBrown

Pussies !

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Had a timber rattler on my driveway this weekend. Ran to get a shovel but it was gone into pine trees quick. I hadn't seen one in several years. Dog didn't see it thank God.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
All ya fuggin' idiots out there killin' every snake you see are much like the chinks who were told to kill every bird so that they wouldn't eat the grains... then the locust population exploded and ate more grain than the birds did. Nature is about balance. If it's within your curtilage, sure... but otherwise move around it/move it to another area, or continue to be a emotional thinker rather than a logical one and kill every one because it makes you FEEL better..

This is pretty much where I am.

I hunted rattlers for their hides years ago, and somewhere along the way I learned they are about as innocuous as any creature can be....so they get a pass from me unless they are about to sink teeth into me or a dog. More misconceptions about Rattlers than any other single creature. ( and tall stories...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The camouflage is amazing.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

This is pretty much where I am.

I hunted rattlers for their hides years ago, and somewhere along the way I learned they are about as innocuous as any creature can be....so they get a pass from me unless they are about to sink teeth into me or a dog. More misconceptions about Rattlers than any other single creature. ( and tall stories...)

As above. Not many up here tho. smile

Met a few in Montana, just one in ND. As I've posted before, when that bale came off the chute I already had the hook in and string in other hand when I noticed the tail hanging out the side. Pitched that 60 pound bale a good 30 feet.

But killing every snake one sees regardless of circumstances is emotional pap. Another will take it's place so there has been nothing done for "safety", probably nothing was done to affect "Nature", and you have deprived a living critter of it's life for no real reason. Except fear.

Get over it..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Besides snakes are protected in a lot of states.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For me................. rattle snakes die.... uncle bit, nearly died, granddad lost several dogs, BIL nearly lost one last month, 4 doses of antivenom($2400)..........

Ecologically sound???? not worried about it much, I think Florida has enough 'other snakes' to fill in the void.............

Feel pretty much the same way about moccasins and copperheads, coral snakes get a pass though.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I think rattlers are neat, but antivenom is like 18 grand. I had snake gaiters on once, and they worked. But the SOB bit "me" above the boot line and I was four miles on foot -- so I kill every rattler I'm aware of.

Years ago when moving our pup was bitten by a rattlesnake in New Mexico at a rest stop. Took her to a vet in Santa Rosa and he had me go to the pharmacy for 3 vials of anti-venom. $15 a vial at that time. Saved the pup's life.

Some species of rattlesnake are protected here.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by RUM7
I HATE those basterds. Kill everyone I see or hear.
If not for me, for the gun dogs that might find them.

Or someones kid.

It's for the children!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
328 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.