T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Pugs
Tim,

Great link! You really do have an extended season. The firearm restrictions are interesting and seem kind of arbitrary between Eng/Wales, Scotland and the UK. There also seems to be little on bow or muzzleloader. Is that because there is no discrimination or little participation?

Bow hunting in Great Britain is illegal and I believe muzzleloaders are precluded since they can't meet the energy/velocity stipulations.

Additionally, handguns have been banned since 1996 which is how I came to end up shooting rifles.

Tim

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tim1
Originally Posted by Pugs
Tim,

Great link! You really do have an extended season. The firearm restrictions are interesting and seem kind of arbitrary between Eng/Wales, Scotland and the UK. There also seems to be little on bow or muzzleloader. Is that because there is no discrimination or little participation?

Bow hunting in Great Britain is illegal and I believe muzzleloaders are precluded since they can't meet the energy/velocity stipulations.

Additionally, handguns have been banned since 1996 which is how I came to end up shooting rifles.

Tim

How sad that it comes to that. Well, unlike us, suppressors are common as your pic shows so at least that makes sense!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

[/quote]

How sad that it comes to that. Well, unlike us, suppressors are common as your pic shows so at least that makes sense![/quote]

Yes, trying to find a sporting rifle shooter over here that doesn't use a sound moderator is on a par with the odds of having a winning lottery ticket. They've been in widespread use for many years now.

Tim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is a fine trophy that young man will remember forever , Great job ........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell your son he did a great job.... Good on you too, Dad!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tim1
Thankyou for your kind words Gents. It was a great evening in family history.

Kind regards,

Tim

Don't sweat it mate, it is worth knowing there are family men in England.

Well done.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Super, and in an environment where not everyone can have such privileges.

1Minute
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks Gents,

The next step will be to get him his own rifle later this year. I already have a couple of spare scopes to choose from that can be put on it - a Meopta Artemis 6x42 or a Schmidt & Bender Klassik 3-12x42. The problem is choosing the right rifle. These days, the manufacturers seem to be in a race to the bottom to produce the cheapest rifle with the most plastic. I'm thinking of either a clean Sako 75 SS if we can find one or a new Model 70 Extreme Weather. By the time we get the paperwork submitted in the next couple of months, it will probably be Christmas or beyond before his Firearm Certificate is issued. It can be quite a slow process.

I was lucky in finding him what I hope to be a decent pair of binos last Friday - a pair of 8x42 Meopta Meostar B1. They were in an auction and boxed new old stock. They came out at £320 by the time commission and postage were paid. I believe they retail for around the £950.00 mark over here. Will was using my range finder to look through on the evening he shot the buck which wasn't ideal.

Kind regards,

Tim

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congratulations to you both.

Your son will cherish this memory all of his life.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to father and son.

IC B3

T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thankyou for your continued kind comments Gents.

I picked up a clean Sako 75 .308 stainless synthetic for Will yesterday. I'm taking it to my riflesmith next week to have a spigot cut on the existing M14 muzzle thread for a sound moderator and a general going over and then I'll put it away 'til Christmas.

Kind regards,

Tim

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
well done!
i am sure you are so proud of him....thanks for sharing

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Awesome! Congrats!

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tim1-Keep the pics and hunting stories coming, it's great to see hunting in another part of the world!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wish someone would buy and drop off a few dozen Roe deer in the US. Would make for an interesting hunt. Any deer are fun to hunt but them Roe Bucks seem very interesting. Congrates to your son for harvesting a fine trophy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt for you and your son. Roebuck are fun to hunt and delicious table fare.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I wish someone would buy and drop off a few dozen Roe deer in the US. Would make for an interesting hunt. Any deer are fun to hunt but them Roe Bucks seem very interesting. Congrates to your son for harvesting a fine trophy.

+1 I’d love to have Roe in the states.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Tim1-Keep the pics and hunting stories coming, it's great to see hunting in another part of the world!

Thankyou for your renewed interest in this one Gents.

I'll get some more photos up when we hopefully get out again in the New Year. We've hardly been out in the best part of the last two years due to the COVID restrictions. We have access to the ground in Gloucestershire which holds fallow, roe and muntjac and also some in Dumfriesshire near the town of Thornhill that holds mainly roe but with an increasing number of reds.

Kind regards,

Tim

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Glad someone bumped this up.

Congratulations to you and your son Tim!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late to the party, but congratulations and please continue to post your adventures.

Arcus Venator
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 38 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.