Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Would it work??? I noticed my premium bulliet thread gained a lot of attention, I might be daring enough to try it!!! Let’s hear it!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm not sure why anyone would shoot a .224 bullet at such large game but if you're intent on doing it I'd suggest a 22-243 (or similar) with an 80-90gr bullet. A heavy mono would likely exit IMO. Hammer bullets has an 83gr expanding mono that would certainly be a good choice for maximizing terminal performance in a .224 cartridge.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes it can be made to work, and relatively easily if you can shoot.
But even for me-the stunt shooter- Id really prefer something else.
Ive done it...twice...but both animals were previously wounded, the .223 is what I had in my hands at the time ( not hunting elk) and when you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
And it IS legal in a few places, but still not recommended .
My pard kiled a 5 point bull with a well placed shot from his .223 one evening after surgery when he was told not to shoot a recoiling heavy rifle. It worked just fine, but.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's always left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that bone and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface wound that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few days in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

Last edited by Filaman; 06/10/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Filaman

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's alwsays left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that boane and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface would that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few deays in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

I posed that question to a local game warden here because of the ethics involved ( its legal in MT) and the bottom line was F&G doesn't care.
They are only interested in the tag revenue.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's alwsays left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that boane and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface would that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few deays in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

This thread was started 100% tongue in cheek for entertainment, but I must say I have seen that same nasty surface wound happen with more accepted rounds/bullets. The animals died despite the rodeo and tracking job so hey......all is well because I used a more accepted caliber right? I suspect this thread will get entertaining, like the others. I am excited!

For disclosure, the smallest round I have used on elk was a 6mm Rem with 100 speer BTSP. It wasn't a big elk but it worked perfectly fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

I posed that question to a local game warden here because of the ethics involved ( its legal in MT) and the bottom line was F&G doesn't care.
They are only interested in the tag revenue.

Maybe so. Montana's allowance of it also made it legal for you to finish off those two incidental cripples that you mentioned I guess. Otherwise you would have had to let them continue to be a cripple due to having your .223 instead of something bigger. That is one way to look at it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago, my sister-in-law shot a mid sized bull with her 257 Roberts straight into the chest from about 200 yards. We chased this elk for about 3/4 of a mile and she shot it again. The bull took off again but lay down after a run of about 200 yards. She finished it off in its bed. We all agreed that her 257 was not enough gun for the job. My brother traded it off for a 7mm-08 and since then two elk have been taken with much better performance.

I'm sure that this episode should convince anyone reading this that elk are tough animals and deserve to be taken with minimal suffering. If a hunter can pass on long shots and shoot accurately, elk can be taken with common "deer cartridges." But going after elk with a .224 rifle is more of a stunt than anything else.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The smallest I've ever used for elk was a 270 with 150 gr bullets. I shot a lot of elk with it and none went over 50 yds. I pick my shots, use a rest, and have never shot at a running animal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Up to 99 yards you are good to go. 100.5 yards and it’s a guaranteed fail.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Put me in the "why" camp.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I seem to recall that .25 caliber was smallest centerfire one could use on elk in CO., but that was many years ago. I would never go that route.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have been in on seven elk kills with a 223, firing the 75 grain Amax at 2750 fps. Yardages were from 30 to 450ish yards. No drama, just dead elk. A good bullet placed into the breathy/bleedy region garners good results.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bullets not headstamps.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

This thread was started 100% tongue in cheek for entertainment.....

You say this cat Judman is trolling, shut yo' mouf.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Not my first choice, but if I bumble into an elk I want to shoot with my swift and its an easy shot I don't think I'd hesitate.

One truth for me; If someone challenged me to hit various targets(say the size of a kill zone) from different positions I would absolutely shoot better with a .224 than a magnum of some variety. Elk are really tough animals but above and beyond anything else, take what you can hit them with.

Last edited by hendricks; 06/10/21.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can keep 20 shots within MOA “all day long” a .223 should be fine in a pinch.

If the 17’th shot opens it up to 1.250 MOA, you’d be better off with a .338.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mikey, where the hell are you at?

We need an official ruling.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yer bobber is moving a little bit don’t jerk yet, turn the clicker off an let em run a little. smile

Everyone knows you need a magnum for elk…..

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
100 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.