Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yer bobber is moving a little bit don’t jerk yet, turn the clicker off an let em run a little. smile

Everyone knows you need a magnum for elk…..

Says the guy that blasts em with the Three Deuce MAGNUM…. Sheesh…. Danged hypocrite whistle

Semper Fi
BP-B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yer bobber is moving a little bit don’t jerk yet, turn the clicker off an let em run a little. smile

Everyone knows you need a magnum for elk…..

Says the guy that blasts em with the Three Deuce MAGNUM…. Sheesh…. Danged hypocrite whistle

😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Archers kill them with thin sticks and small sharp, light blades so yes, a good 223 bullet will do it, but I for one don't want to do it even to prove it can be done.

In the Slaughter house I worked at when I was a kid they killed cattle with a 22LR sometimes. Big bulls can be as large as American Bison but I can't be convinced that a 22 LR is a good choice for buffalo hunters.

Townson Whelen (and a few others) have killed elephants with 22 LRs and the elephants died, but that is not the point. Yes it can be used to kill an elephant and No, you probably should not do it.

If some some unforeseen reason I felt a need to use a 223 for an elk I would use a 70 grain Barnes TSX just because it's the heaviest expanding bullet I know of that won't break up. And if I shot like I was hunting with a bow and arrow I am sure I can kill a elk with it.

I just don't think I'd find a logical reason to want to use such a small rifle. I don't feel any need to prove it, considering that elephants have been killed with 22LRs. It seems to border on foolish to do it if I have rifles that shoots heavier and larger bullets. And I do..

You may do it and may harvest the elk, but no one who has any ability to reason is going to be impressed. Such a thing is done only by someone trying to impress himself and thinking that becasue he did so others will be impressed.

Last edited by szihn; 06/10/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

As always

'Use the right tool for the job'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Apparently target bullets in the .223 work well enough.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
bullets not headstamps.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
A rancher I know killed a few with his old .222... Shot them in Aug.. or early Sept. in his fields .. grazing like cattle.. Ear shot.. In season he use a .264..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with the group that says why... Why would you even want too.. There are several photos of elk shot with .22's on the site, but I think most were targets of opportunity.. Season was open, elk were there, conditions were right.. Despite the one shot in the boiler room boys, there are numerous posts on here of well hit animals that were hit, in the boiler room, but not found till later.. Conditions were such the animal was lost but recovered later... Some were in good shape some spoiled.. To me animals are to important to shoot with small calibers marginal for the job at best... We are not starving, this is a sport, they should be treated with respect and killed as quickly and cleanly as we can...

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OK, one more little argument. Say I've got two cars, a Volkswagen that handles curvers better than most any car and a full house Vette with a 550 HP LS -3 Engine which also handles curves well.. Theres a race schedulede for Saturday so I want to prove the Volkswagen is capable so which car do I race with? Maybe I could do it with the VW but why when I have a 550HP Vette?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Or, you have a 5,000# travel trailer that you pull all the time and a 12,000# trailer you pull maybe once a year.

Do you drive a 1 ton dually daily for that maybe once a year, or drive a SW 3/4 ton which covers you %99.5 of the time?

Originally Posted by Filaman
OK, one more little argument. Say I've got two cars, a Volkswagen that handles curvers better than most any car and a full house Vette with a 550 HP LS -3 Engine which also handles curves well.. Theres a race schedulede for Saturday so I want to prove the Volkswagen is capable so which car do I race with? Maybe I could do it with the VW but why when I have a 550HP Vette?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
In typical Fire fashion, the guys doing the most bloviating also have the least experience with the subject at hand.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

Thanks for showing back up again, and mentioning some reality. But as you've noticed over the years, not many here are interested in reality.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If nothing else, under sporting conditions, I would say it would be a stunt and unethical to hunt such animals in such a manner. As sportsmen, we owe the game swift dispatch and I believe a round which can dependably deliver an appropriate bullet to and through the vitals from any reasonable angle is what is called for in this situation. Assuming one can shoot I generally prefer more gun than less. I have come to prefer the 9.3x62 for this reason as a general purpose round. It never disappoints.

The way life should be.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I certainly would not use 22 for bear. 😜

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[

Last edited by DingoDuk; 06/13/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
🥕🐎

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I generally do think its a not good idea...... but anything is possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some might be interested in digging up some of scenarshooters old posts about his use of a 220 Swift for all manners of big game...

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Yeah

I have a friend who's dad simply uses a .177 Crossman 760 but he does pump it 22 times for Elk been hunting elk that way for 52 years says that the 2 extra pumps does the trick...

Totally True Story :p

Slaying Orcs
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

gssixgun,

Thanks for showing back up again, and mentioning some reality. But as you've noticed over the years, not many here are interested in reality.

Originally Posted by gssixgun
Yeah

I have a friend who's dad simply uses a .177 Crossman 760 but he does pump it 22 times for Elk been hunting elk that way for 52 years says that the 2 extra pumps does the trick...

Totally True Story :p

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Did you ever see one 'wake up' when taking too much time to cut throat and bleed out?

Originally Posted by szihn

In the Slaughter house I worked at when I was a kid they killed cattle with a 22LR sometimes. Big bulls can be as large as American Bison but I can't be convinced that a 22 LR is a good choice for buffalo hunters.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.