Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's sort of a love/hate thing. The price is great, but you cannot get them again. frown

I used Lapua 55 gr S538s for years in my 222s and, more recently, my 223s. Apparently, they're no longer made. I got a great price on 1000 - $199 - but like they say on TV, after they're gone, they're gone!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also got some CCI small rifle primers. Prices seem normal. These were $60/1000.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bought a few 120 grain Hornady 257 hollow points. All I could find , would buy more if I could

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I laid in a couple of hundred Barnes Original 195 gr 7mm bullets when they said they were going to stop making them. Those things knock a deer right on its butt

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good evening sir, I hope the day was a decent one in your part of the world.

Indeed there's been a few times I've purchased or traded for bullets that I knew I'd never see again, sometimes for the price and sometimes just curiosity.

When Imperial went out of business there was a place in either Saskatoon or Calgary that ended up with a bunch of components for sale. I bought a bunch of 110gr .308" Spire Points then. Actually I still might have a bunch of them Steve, I'll have to look someday. If memory serves I couldn't get them to settle down for long range shooting and loaded a bunch up at about 1000fps for small game and training the horses to stand gunfire.

Another time a fellow offered me somewhere around 500 173gr FMJ BT Lake City Match .308" bullets for a too good to pass up price. I used them for long range shooting back in the day as they were practically as slippery as 168gr Match HP and about a quarter the price. I might have a dozen or so left, but don't regret getting them for sure. They were fun while they lasted! grin

I'm sure more will come to me, but I also found most of a box of 175gr RN Norma in .284" from someone on some trade. I didn't have a 7mm anything at the time, but figured someone would need them and sure enough, someone was happy to try them and subsequently killed a few local bucks with them.

Anyways Steve, that's the total that come to mind now. Knowing me, if the deal was right and the bullets interesting, I'd do it again. wink

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Even if it's not announced that a bullet is discontinued, and a current bullet with the same manufacturer desgnation is available, it may not be the same bullet. And it's rarely announced that a change has been made.

Speer and Nosler seem to be the worst at this, but Hornady and Sierra do it too. If you bisect a .308" 180 grain Partition from 1995 and do the same to a current one, you'll see the internal partition has moved, and also if you put one half of the old bullet up against a half from the newer bullet, you'll see the ogive has changed as well.

Bottom line, if you find a bullet you really, really like, stock up on it with as many as you may think you might ever need, because there's no telling when it will go away, either through discontinuation, or via design change.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will be looking for Lapua S569 and trying some others for 300 yards and in. Lapua bullets are not cheaply made like Berry's, CamPro, etc. I am hopeful that Hornady bullets produce the same accuracy. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,253 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,123
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.