Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
WOW!!!!!
Great read
Buy a lotto ticket
You’re on a roll
That glacial bear is sweeeeeeeet

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats man, nice work!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats on the blue one that is incredible....I am happy for you. Good job.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You might as well quit bear hunting. It ain't never gonna get better than this year! Nicely done.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I’ve never seen or heard of a glacier bear.

I haven't either. Definitely made this thread worth coming back to! (not that it wasn't anyway, of course)

Congratulations on some dandy trophies, young man!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i'm not a bear guy

but that's frickin sweet to get a glacier bear!!

good onya

job well done

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 907brass
But wait, there's MORE!

Went out in my skiff one more time for black bear, again south of Juneau. We left Douglas harbor at about 6:30pm and after we got out of Gastineau channel it was not nice weather to be on a skiff. It wasn't raining but there was a good build up of waves in Taku inlet, down past Grand Island, and the backside of Douglas. Typical, plus swirling currents didn't help anything.
It wasn't unsafe, but it was uncomfortable. Glassing was a difficult task from the boat. Our hunt ended up following as many leeward paths as possible to keep in a bit calmer seas. We made it into two inlets I wanted to get out and hike through, but the wind/waves were not conducive to being able to safely get to shore and securely leave the boat anchored.

So we soldiered on, looking for just about any stretch of beach that could watch that would be safely accessible if a bear came out.
We finally did see what we were looking for, a big black blob moving down the beach about 3/4 mile away. We were already going slow due to the waves so we turned toward the beach so we could plan a stalk. It looked like a medium bear. Not super exciting but we still wanted a closer look to make sure.
Unfortunately as we got closer we were able to make out a small skiff against the rocks a couple hundred yards away from the bear -- very well camouflaged against the grey cliffy beaches in the fading light. We were still probably 500 yards off the beach, but turned off the engine so we would have the least chance of messing up a stalk for whatever hunter was on the beach. I did finally spot the hunter and he was probably 50 yards away from the bear. I thought I'd hear a shot, but they either decided not to take it and made themselves known, or maybe he shot it with a bow. Never heard a shot and it was too hard to see exactly what happened from that distance, but the bear suddenly bolted into the woods. We had been watching that bear for several minutes, we were downwind and drifting with the engine, so I'm pretty confident it was not us that startled the bear.
Always cool to see a bear, and I hope whoever that hunter was had success either with that bear or another very soon.

We continued and finally found a promising corner that we could walk into. It was now 8:40pm. Short on time we didn't want to anchor, and it was almost exactly high tide so we didn't want to beach the skiff unattended -- too heavy to move if high and dry. My dad decided to stay with the boat, allowing me to walk up the narrow creek with grass on either side.

This creek pretty turns a sharp corner after only about 50 yards and continues out of sight of my dad and the skiff. Wind was perfectly right in my face. This is a gnarly ice field valley and it was not warm. The farther I walked the shorter the grass got, and eventually it was replaced by snow. I did surprise a porcupine by getting 6 feet away from him. He was munching the grass too loudly and too close to the flowing creek so he didn't hear me. I kept my 'social distance' haha but when he finally noticed me he had a hilarious "I've f*ed up" face. Probably the fastest waddle I've ever seen from a porcupine.

Eventually the banks of the creek got too brushy to see and the snow was getting pretty deep. I had walked about half a mile up this creek bank. I turned around and started back to the boat. Unexpectedly, I had not taken 10 steps when I looked far down the creek and noticed a grey shadow walking along in the grass. I ranged it at 520 yards away. It took a few seconds to register what I was seeing, but then it clicked -- that's a bear -- that's a GLACIER bear -- that's a NICE glacier bear.

I now had the wind right at my back and I knew that it would only be a matter of time before I would be winded and lose the opportunity on this nice boar.
So I did the only thing I could think to do to lesson my scent signature, I hitched up my chest waders and jumped into the creek!

I was up to my waist, but now the only thing above the bank was my head. The bear would put his head down to grab some grass and I would walk down through the water. He'd lift his head to sniff the air and I'd duck down close to the water. I saw a spot that I could easily get out of the creek that would be about 100 yards from this bear and have a nice rock to rest my rifle on. I kept playing 'red light green light' with this bear until amazingly I was 100 yards away without it knowing something was wrong.

However moments after as I rolled up and out of the creek I could see that the bear was a little bit more wary. I wasn't going to make it to the rock. I crouched low to the ground and stuck my trekking pole into the ground to act as a mono-pod. As I got the bear in my scope he was already looking right at me sniffing the air. I though to myself, "as soon as he turns he's bolting". So as he turned to the woods I took my quartering toward me shot. He turned around once to bite at the bullet and then continued into the fringe. As my ears rang I listened as well as I could, and I could hear the bear raking through the brush. Then it stopped! He had made it about 50 yards into the alders.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I gutted it where it lay, and dragged it back to the beach to get a picture. My dad had heard the shot, anchored the skiff, and was walking the inflatable canoe up the creek. As simple as rolling the bear into the canoe and floating it down the creek, we were back at the boat.

Only thing left was an uncomfortable ride back to Juneau in mostly dark and high winds. But I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Totally worth it, and I am so blessed.

That is totally awesome!!! I've seen a few but always where it's closed to hunting. I wonder haw many river rats unknowingly passed by that bear!!! (If I'm guessing the location correctly) Keep an eye on your six, I might just be following you out of the harbor! smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tkinak

That is totally awesome!!! I've seen a few but always where it's closed to hunting. I wonder haw many river rats unknowingly passed by that bear!!! (If I'm guessing the location correctly) Keep an eye on your six, I might just be following you out of the harbor! smile

All those river rats would've needed to do is walk up around the corner. But that would require coming down from being up on step and being loud, ha!
I gillnet in the area so I hear and see them whizzing by all summer.

Last edited by 907brass; 05/28/21.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Very nice and Congrats on the trophy bears!

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm not much for bear hunting, having killed a half dozen or so blacks over the years for meat, mostly incidents to other activities, but I've always wanted a deep auburn cinnamon rug. Not enough to make a special effort tho.

That Glacier Bear was just added to the list.

You should put this on You-tube.

You deserve some hate mail! smile smile

Last edited by las; 05/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So what do y'all think I should do with the glacier bear?
I'm thinking taxidermy wise, but I'm open to recipes as well.
I've never had anything mounted or sewed before.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Whatever you do, be sure to send it to someone who knows what they’re doing. That glacier bear is not an animal for jo blow the part time garage taxidermist.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Suggest you (consider) contacting the managers of regional commercial airports, they may be up for paying the full cost of a full body mount, in a glass enclosure. In exchange for having it on display in the airport for a specific time period. (Generally twenty years).

We have some at the Anchorage International Airport.

Last edited by AGL4now; 05/30/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

House room and money not an issue, full body in habitat
Not a lot of space or money, rug with gold border.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tremendous story, pics and trophies. Delighted for you. That Glacier Bear is the Bomb 💣!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost like I was there. Thank you & congrats on some excellent trophies

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Full body mount on the blue one, no question!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That glacier bear is outstanding.

I've only ever hunted rat black bears in Ontario but that glacier bear and your stories could convince a guy to move...

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome hunts here!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 58 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.