Print Thread
Hop To
#16159176 06/10/21
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Everybody's always looking, trying, and especially if you tie your own, that better fly, especially if you fish for trout. I just started tying over a year ago, and what a difference its made in my fishing.
Well after digging for and trying new recipes, which several have made a difference for me, but none like The Rainbow Warrior! I tied up my first and tried it in December, and it immediately made a difference! And the lower and clearer the water, the better it has been for me. I've tied it in couple slight variations and both sz 14 n 16, and all has worked! I fish a small-mid size mountain stream, 90% rainbows, few browns.

Last edited by Windknot; 06/10/21.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Started tying in about 1976 copying dozens of patterns filling dozens of boxes from as many books. Now I pretty much do my own thing and have about 6 or 8 patterns with one or another usually capable of producing. First efforts in new waters nearly always begin with a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear.

1Minute
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Me too, when in doubt I now have a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, and the Warrior about 18" behind!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Much fun to catch trout on flies you tie yourself. I especially like to catch em' on a fly tied with hair and feather I harvested my self.

These work well for me on the San Juan River below Navajo dam.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Anyone have a photo of the Rainbow Warrior?? I tied for a while and gave up as a bad job.. Prince nymph and gold ribbed hare;s ear are my favorites...

Molon Labe
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice looking flies pds.
I am new to the world of fly fishing, but I have definitely fell head first into the rabbit hole.
Planning on getting a rotary vise in the next few weeks and start tying my own flies.
Told my wife it is like reloading,only for a.fishing pole.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I got a pic but I ain't never tried posting a pic, I need to. Good videos on YouTube.
Up until I started tying, a Prince Nymph was my best fly. Lately I hardly ever fish it. Here, the midge patterns seem to work better. I've got a black n red one I came up with I've done well on. I did well on another new one back in the winter id never even seen before. The Evil Olive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prairie dog shooter:

What? No San Juan worm in that batch?

Spent maybe a total of 4 days there, and it's a challenging but interesting place. Educated fish with most missing their lips, and one can hear 3 or 4 different languages in just a few minutes. Really enjoyed wading those shallow flats trying to fool some of those sipping giants. Pretty much deem it a success just to get a take.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/10/21.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Wish I were taking a hand full of them to Montauk with me this weekend !

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Torqued, you hit the nail right on the head! I started tying same time I started reloading. Right after I retired, never would take the time before! I fly-fishing all my life, but mostly river smallies, bluegills and largemouth. Now, I absolutely love trout fishing. To get started, I cut 2 pieces of 4"×4× wood about 10", doweled one on top the other. Drilled the top one so I could slide a long set of surgical locking forceps back into it. Lock the hook into them slide it into the block, and anchor it with a way I fixed. I keep thinking I'm gonna get me a rotary vise, but mine works just fine! My fly tying board i made i can just pic it up move out the way. Then same table becomes my reloading table. I use the Lee portable hand press. Pull it out go to work. Switch back to fly tying in just a minute.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I posted a pic of my recent best flies I've tied in the photo gallery

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Windknot
Torqued, you hit the nail right on the head! I started tying same time I started reloading. Right after I retired, never would take the time before! I fly-fishing all my life, but mostly river smallies, bluegills and largemouth. Now, I absolutely love trout fishing. To get started, I cut 2 pieces of 4"×4× wood about 10", doweled one on top the other. Drilled the top one so I could slide a long set of surgical locking forceps back into it. Lock the hook into them slide it into the block, and anchor it with a way I fixed. I keep thinking I'm gonna get me a rotary vise, but mine works just fine! My fly tying board i made i can just pic it up move out the way. Then same table becomes my reloading table. I use the Lee portable hand press. Pull it out go to work. Switch back to fly tying in just a minute.

I am going to use half of my gun cleaning table for my fly tying set up. May end up moving my cleaning stuff to the reloading bench. I have more than enough room in its. I wasn't that lucky on my last bench. Not going to make hasty decisions til I try some fly tying amd see how my old welder eyes do with it.

Last edited by Torqued; 06/11/21.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Much fun to catch trout on flies you tie yourself. I especially like to catch em' on a fly tied with hair and feather I harvested my self.

These work well for me on the San Juan River below Navajo dam.

[Linked Image]

The old adage "Less is More" come to mind!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.