Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
GM makes a product. I used it once. Still had to swap injectors shortly thereafter.

I have a Cali 2003 LB7, and yes it came with EGR, catalytic, vacuum pump, etc. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Smoke at idle is classic sign of impending injector failure. Get your balance rates checked, as mentioned, and get ready. frown

Lincoln Diesel treated me right. My injector bodies were fine, so they refitted them with the updated nozzles. That was I wanna say 5 years ago …. I was concerned at the time, but it turns out to be the right call for me. I monitor balance rates myself, and so far, I’m good.

If you’re handy, injectors can be done DIY. It's a big job, but not particularly technical. Just a lot of labor that I'd rather do myself than pay for at shop rates.

Ran me about $1600 in parts from Lincoln. Probably another couple hundred bucks in incidentals and miscellaneous, and the job took me a long weekend plus (I believe shop time is estimated at 30 hours if memory serves), with me taking my sweet time and taking lots of pics before I disassembled.

The EGR and smog stuff REALLY adds a chore to the job if you have that.

No matter who does it, make SURE they replace the hard fuel lines.

Finally, I am a believer in secondary filtration and water separation. I run an Airdog and a Nicktane before the OEM filter, and have for many years. Cheap insurance.

Good luck, and check out dieselplace.com for a very detailed DIY with pictures. That's what I used.

If/when mine go again, nobody but me is going into my motor.

Rick

Thanks - helpful - same year/model, but no Cali stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What year is the Cummins that has 350K on the clock, if you don’t mind my asking?

2001 Dodge 2500 4wd with HO 24 valve Cummins. Bought new - two drivers only - 85% to 90% me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I wouldn’t use 2-stroke oil, ATF, MMO, or anything similar in a newer diesel with a DPF.

They are probably fine in older engines. I've used 2-stroke and ATF in my '93 n/a 7.3 F250 with no problems.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
What year is the Cummins that has 350K on the clock, if you don’t mind my asking?

2001 Dodge 2500 4wd with HO 24 valve Cummins. Bought new - two drivers only - 85% to 90% me.

Reason I ask is because when the big 3 went to common rail fuel injection on the diesels, in the early 2000’s or so, I’m pretty sure GM and Dodge were using similar Bosch injectors and CP3 pump. Pressures were in the 23,000 units range, whereas prior engines were orders of magnitude lower pressure, like 10%, and were much, much easier on injectors — and also had much lower performance potential. Common rail made turbo diesels come alive.

Comparing pre-common-rail injector durability to early common-rail is apples to alligators. 350K on factory injectors sounds pre-common-rail.

My understanding is the high pressure common rail injectors were developed by Bosch using Euro diesel standards, and our US diesel was not as clean, and the injectors showed it, especially early on.

Another thing, our LB7s didn’t eat injectors any more than any other motors using the first gen Bosch fuel system of that era, BUT, our injectors are under the valve covers, making them significantly more trouble to get to. We’re talking hours.

And yes, injectors got better in later gens, and as older LB7s with some miles started showing injector issues, they were disfavored by some. But it was an injector issue, not a motor issue. GM also made injectors more accessible in later gens by not putting them under the valve covers anymore, so LB7s do suck hind teat in that regard.

But nowadays I don’t think you’ll be able to source first-gen, non-improved injectors, so if/when you do have to replace them, except for them being a PITA to reach, once done installing the newest tech Bosch, your injectors will be as solid as any.

At just over 100K miles, your motor is just breaking in!

You don’t know how fortunate you are not to have to deal with all that smog BS when dealing with injectors. Worst part of the job for me, by far.

Did I mention new hard fuel lines or bust?

smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use BG. Great stuff.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like this channel.

Project Farm

Originally Posted by mark shubert
My old diesel mechanic used to only recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, or the Lucas product. I'd double-check with him, but he died in a car wreck ~ 10 days ago.
Mark, denoting old age here, for I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil in various specific applications for 66 years. Dad swore by it and got me going - it has been a big plus. especially for top-end lube on older OHV engines. I simply never connected that idea with diesel injectors - maybe because the Dodge Cummins is almost to 350K with nary an injector hiccup. We have only put about 6K miles on this 03 Duramax - it is at 108K well-maintained miles and I'm already fussing with injectors. Good and rather flexible diesel engine, but not near a Cummins 24V.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All of that 2 stroke oil, Marvel, etc doesn't do anything to increase cetane numbers, which are generally lacking in modern diesel fuels.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickBin - thanks for the background on the Bosch components/common fuel rail/higher op pressures into the 2000s diesels. It all fits. Also glad I don't have the Cail add-ons in this Duramax. I knew about the valve cover matter before buying this 2003 and was thinking that a 2005/06 would be better for me due to that factor, but I knew this owner and the truck and that it had been very well treated - thought that more important. It was a good move - pleased with it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
All of that 2 stroke oil, Marvel, etc doesn't do anything to increase cetane numbers, which are generally lacking in modern diesel fuels.

I use 2 stroke oil for lubricity, kind of like saliva! I have been doing the 2 stroke oil, in my 06 Duramax since 2008! Figure it can't hurt!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I drove it once

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stanadyne... farm project ..is your friend

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
I just pour three ounces of two stroke oil in the tank, every other fill up! Been doing it since 2008, when I got an 06 Duramax! No issues todate. Only have 134000 miles on mine!
...me to ..until ...farm project....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I drove it once

My wife drove it once!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by NH Hunter
I use Power Service in my Cummins. Cummins approved/endorsed. White bottle in winter, silver in summer.

I've been using Power Service mixed with TWC3 2 cycle oil in my 2005 Dodge diesel since I bought it new and haven't had any injector or injector pump problems yet. I was told it uses the same injectors as the early Duramax Chevys.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 6 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.