Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Does the Mark IV takedown easier than the earlier ones?

Much easier. Just push the button and the thing practically falls apart in your hands.

But...the other disadvantages of the IV make the II the best choice.

Could you please share what you feel are the disadvantages of the Mark IV?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am extremely pleased with my MK IV standard pistol I bought a month ago. A friend bought the S&W auto and it has had feeding and extraction issues which were finally straightened out after 2 trips to the factory(it should have never left). My brother has a Mk II and never an issue . Browning Buckmark is a very nice pistol as well. Those would be my choices.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have both a Buckmark and a MKIV, both threaded lightweight models. The Browning has a nicer trigger than the Ruger out of the box but that's about the only plus for it. My MKIV has proven more reliable, easier to operate and clean and I was able to set it up with an RDS to co-witness the sights.... a BIG plus for me. The pic rail on the Buckmark necessitates a higher RDS mount, which I have a hard time using, and makes racking the slide a bit more difficult. Granted mine is an older model without the "ears" on the rear of the slide and won't accept a Tandemkross charging ring.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Could you please share what you feel are the disadvantages of the Mark IV?

MKIV's are good guns for sure, but they are not superior to MK II's. Yes, the disassembly is way easier, but taking down a MKII has never been a problem for me (no worse than a 1911) so I don't see the MKIV push button has a significant selling point. However, I get that the disassembly/reassembly of earlier models is NOT fun for the vast majority of their owners. The push button is THE major selling feature of the MKIV. But...

MKIV triggers are HEAVY! Out of the box, the three I've tried are likely in the 8 lb range. For $130+ dollars you can solve that with a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit, which also also eliminates the idiotic magazine disconnect--another "feature" you won't find on a MK II.

Reassembling a MKIV two piece safety is an adventure. Also, when shooting, some people are reporting that the safety lever sticks out too far on the MKIV. That safety lever is unnecessary.

Nor am I a fan of the fragile finish on the blued MKIV's, or the aluminum lower (on some MKIV models, not all), or the way the upper rattles (on many guns, the upper and lower don't mate up well. It doesn't affect functionality; it just rattles. Like an AR 15.)

The MKIV does has an improved mag release. The one I tried was pretty cool. You can hold the gun with the grip pointed up and when you press the mag release, there is a spring that pushes the mag. It will actually lift the mag about 1 1/2 inches up in the air. When the mag well is pointed down, like when you're shooting, pressing the mag release makes the mag blast out of the mag well! If you need rapid mag changes, the MKIV smokes the MKII. I just don't know how many people need quick mag changes on a .22lr pistol.

IMHO, dollar for dollar, you get a better gun for MKII money.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buckmark - only had one and only for a short time but it was a good pistol.
- Trigger was decent, "better" than any out of the box Ruger Marks I've owned but not head and shoulders better.
- They make them in more variations than Ruger which is saying something.
- The grip panels are used to hold springs and things so if you take them off be careful to keep track of what falls out.
- Looks like about half of the models offered come with some type of rail already mounted so putting a dot sight on wouldn't be a problem Bonus is that the rail doesn't interfere with the rear sight.

Ruger Marks - Waders covered those well but I'll add a few points. I've owned about 18 of those in Mk II, III and IV so can speak with some experience.
- Rating out of the box trigger pull in order of good to bad it follows the evolution of the brand - II is better than III and III is better than IV. The Mark IV trigger is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord, you'll need an expensive trigger kit and some atonement for your sins isn't a bad idea either. The goods news is that the Volquartsen kit will improve the trigger to something very good and there are a couple of great youtube videos which show you step by step how to install it. A fellow could easily live with a II trigger and make your peace with a Mk III if you remove the magazine disconnect.
- Mounting a dot sight. The II is not drilled and tapped so mounting a rail will add the d&t expense and hopefully you know a non-hack gunsmith who can do that. The III and IV come drilled and tapped and Ruger includes a scope base with them, or if not they're cheap to buy.
- Burris makes a neat little mount for their Fastfire sights which replaces the rear sight and is super easy to install so if you go with Burris the d&t isn't needed.
- Re-assembly of the Mark II and III really isn't a nightmare but keep a few good cuss words handy for at least the first time you try it.* The Mark IV is easy-peasy, like putting an AR upper on the lower.
- I only have one Mk IV and the upper and lower halves mate well but it's good to know that some don't, something to check before buying if you can.
- I'm left handed and originally applauded the ambi-safety on the IV but its location isn't all that convenient and it got in the way of my grip so I took it off. Ruger includes a little replacement washer if you remove it.
- Like a 10/22, everybody and his brother makes aftermarket stuff for the Marks so if you've a mind to, on down the road you can customize it to your heart's content.

Having had fun analyzing these and as much as I like my Rugers, I'd recommend the Browning for a first time buyer because of the points listed - good trigger and lots of models come with a rail - it doesn't need anything at all to be a reliable, accurate pistol right out of the box.

Haven't spoken about the S&W because I've never owned one.

* more on the fabled reassembly woes of the Ruger Mk II and III. The tricky thing everybody talks about is getting the end of the hammer strut to fit into the little dimple at the top of the mainspring plunger. It can be tricky but once you learn the proper angle to hold the pistol it's really not that big of a deal. An equal or bigger issue I've seen is getting the bolt stop pin completely seated into the upper receiver before trying to swing the mainspring housing into place. On new guns that fit can be very tight so you may need a mallet to get that stop pin loose when disassembling the pistol and then again when seating it. If it's not fully seated it's impossible to mate the hammer strut with the mainspring plunger and that's where cuss words - while very helpful to one's mental health - unfortunately do nothing to seat that pin.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a MKIII stainless 5.5” that I bought used some years ago. It has run flawlessly, has a very good trigger and is consistently accurate. I’m usually pretty relaxed about specific features as long as the gun is well made and functions properly. It’s pretty straight forward. I just bought an NIB Buck Mark Practical for a heck of a good price but haven’t gotten it to the range yet. It seems decently built. The people I know who shoot Buck Marks like them a lot. I trust I’ll like it.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe I got lucky with my MK IV but the trigger wasn’t bad, I ordered a blast shield and straight trigger from TandemKross and proceeded to shoot several thousand rounds without any hiccups.

Buck mark is a good pistol but if you shoot it a lot, you’ll need to send it to Billy Striplin for some of his work. The thing that cured me of the Buckmark was a buddy had a case separate and the open port on the left side sent hot gas through his left thumb. I never could feel comfortable thinking about that.

MK II’s and I’s are great but I’ll take the MK IV’s with the upgraded features for my uses.

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you to all who have responded. I appreciate the helpful information you have all provided.
It looks like whichever pistol I chose may take awhile to get as inventory is nil at the places I have checked.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good luck in your hunt!

I hunted one down a few months ago after a buddy let me shoot my suppressor on his Mark III LITE. I was looking at Mark IV models but found an old stock Mark III threaded heavy barrel for about $100 less than a new Mark IV.

If you don’t have a 22 suppressor you should really consider spending the ~$600 on one. They make a 22 pistol stupid fun.

A red dot or reflex sight just adds to the package. My kids love mine and it’s a great trainer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 0n the Ruger SR22, fun to shoot and fits the wife's hand.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
another vote for ruger sr22. not the most accurate but is really handy and reliable, fills most rimfire pistol roles rather well. mine has gone through 5000+ problem-free rounds.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
How noticeable will the accuracy difference be between the SR22 and a Mark IV standard or 22/45? Will it make a difference for someone who's not punching paper all the time or shooting competition?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A high round count report swings some weight, thanks for yours. Makes the sr22 a serious piece.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had Ruger MK1 and 2,. 22/45, AMTs, High Standards.
And Buckmarks.

Old eyes suck.

Reflex sight helps. Buckmark 5.5 w new Contour SS bbl is my choice. Iron sights, my rig is a Kart slide on Colt 1911 frame.

Proly get some laughs.....I liked my POS Walther P22.
Sights sucked and no real decent rear alternative....so away it went. Shame, size and feel..... would have been a handy trail rig.

Sig Trailside Im still considering, or whatever Hammerli calls it these days

Last edited by hookeye; 06/12/21.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Buckmark for me.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hookeye
Had Ruger MK1 and 2,. 22/45, AMTs, High Standards.
And Buckmarks.

Old eyes suck.

Reflex sight helps. Buckmark 5.5 w new Contour SS bbl is my choice. Iron sights, my rig is a Kart slide on Colt 1911 frame.

Proly get some laughs.....I liked my POS Walther P22.
Sights sucked and no real decent rear alternative....so away it went. Shame, size and feel..... would have been a handy trail rig.

Sig Trailside Im still considering, or whatever Hammerli calls it these days

I kick myself for never getting a Trailside.

PS- Size matters when it comes to eyes and sight radius.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mcclure
How noticeable will the accuracy difference be between the SR22 and a Mark IV standard or 22/45? Will it make a difference for someone who's not punching paper all the time or shooting competition?

Yes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Just saw this thread. I've been meaning to contact you anyway for some sporting clays, but I've got a Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Tactical with a suppressor that you've more than welcome to try. Let me know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $1,000 or so you could get a SW M41.

[Linked Image from ]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd look at Armslist if I were in the market. Not to buy from out of town, but a lot of the local gun shops advertise in it. A local Ruger dealer has several varieties of new Ruger .22s, one has a Star Model F Sport, etc. One has a Ruger 10/22 pistol with a bipod. There was a lightly used S&W 41 but it sold.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.