Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cellular Trail Cameras

Who is using them?

Just purchased my retirement home on 24 acres back in PA, mostly wooded except 3 food plots the seller added the past few years, I am flying back to close the deal in two weeks then need to come back to CA to finish up a project before I retire. It has 3 food plots and 2 elevated platform deer blinds. Want to put several Cellular Trail Cameras around see what goes on in the plots. Plan to officially retire Sept 1 and want to be ready for archery season.

I have no ideal on what brand to get but at looking at Spypoint they seem to have reasonable monthly plans that have no activation fee so I can start or stop the plans.

So what are you using?

Next step is to clean up the food plots. Never worked with food plots so will need help..

Ted
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Tactacam Reveals and a new Reveal X on order. Great pictures, easy pay plans and they are relatively low cost at $120 for the Reveal X and $99 for the Reveal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1 for Tactacam if/when you can find them.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I use an ARLO home security camera with a solar charger. Does night vision and makes great videos. Seems to connect well to the internet even in ultra remote areas where cell phone reception is iffy. The cool thing is you can review past videos anytime on any device, or jump in real-time and see what's going on. You can even speak through it if you have a reason to.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for tactacam. Much better than my moultrie.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Boys on the East Texas lease have tactacam. They like them.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've heard good things about the tactacam.

I have a moultrie, hard on batteries but the new Moultrie Deltas are supposed to be 50% better on battery life I am going to get one on order.

A buddy has a spypoint he's has been using it for years. He likes it. The pics can be a little grainy. But when he pulls the card the pics are great. Plus side is I can sign up for his plan and see the pics as well.

What area of PA is your place? I'm in Warren County

Hunt...
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Tactacam Reveal

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take a look at the cuddle link system. It won’t send images to your cell phone, but it will send them to a single location so you can check all your cameras without disturbing each one. No monthly fee.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have three Bushnell Trophy Cam cameras, of different age vintages. Use all three, on my farm, and around the house when not needed at the farm. They have become an indispensable tool for keeping track of movement, both 2 and 4 legged.
Colorado now says you can't have a wireless trail cam in your hunt area active the day before, or the day of, your hunt. So, I just take them down the day before I intend to hunt at the farm, put them back up when I leave.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two Spypoint cellular cameras, a Link Dark and a Link Micro. They work but I can't say they're not without issues. The dark was replaced under warranty once but has been trouble free since (2yrs). The Micro has gone down a couple times and has been resolved by downloading a firmware update and installing in the camera. Not a huge deal when it's in your backyard, but a PIA when it's 400 miles away at the cabin. mad On the plus side, battery life is great and the plans are flexible and not that expensive.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love those Tactacams. Have a bunch up on my place and very helpful. Was just out there working and all was good. Today I get pics of cattle in front of my east side camera. Call my neighbor, he apologized and hustled his cows off my place. Without the emails coming in, they would have been munching away for days on there.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by CBB
I've heard good things about the tactacam.

I have a moultrie, hard on batteries but the new Moultrie Deltas are supposed to be 50% better on battery life I am going to get one on order.

A buddy has a spypoint he's has been using it for years. He likes it. The pics can be a little grainy. But when he pulls the card the pics are great. Plus side is I can sign up for his plan and see the pics as well.

What area of PA is your place? I'm in Warren County

It is just off route 6 about 10 minutes East of Coudersport. Grew up in Wyoming county but started going to Potter to my Uncles camp since I was 8. Had several small camps over the years this will be my retirement home/camp.

Ted
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Tacticams have ran flawless for me. Lithium batteries in them and i had 2 cams run a full calender year on one set. You cannot go wrong for $100

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was trying to find a Tacicams Revel X but they are sold out except if you want to pay 3x the normal cost for one on Amazon.

Next I called Moultrie to find out about the Delta's looks like it would work BUT when I called they were closing and

THEY ARE CLOSED TOMORROW FOR JUNETEENTH? WTF

Moultrie is a "woke" business?

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well good and bad on the Tactacam. My first generation version has stopped taking night pics. Get pics but they are totally blacked out. Buddy thought it had to do with an IR shield malfunction. Don't know and its not close enough to grab for a bit. Upside, Tactacam has been very responsive on emails today.

The Tactacam Reveal X is in stock at Scheels for $119 and free shipping. Ordered another today.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Scheels website says they are out of the Camera they only had the security box

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have got one of the last ones then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of enjoying the instant gratification of seeing critters on the cams. This guy best keep his head down later this year.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.