Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a .17 I might try someday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Need to use up my .22 CB shorts first.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
DD,

What the heck is that?

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would be a Zimmerstutzen made in Germany back when men were steel and ships were wood. Another name used often is "parlor rifle". Shoots a lead BB with a RF primer charge in a short case. Looks a fair bit like .22 BB caps, only smaller. Made by Paul Neubrand in Munderkingen, Germany. Target posted was shot at 50' offhand by a wayward lad from Wyoming named Steve Garbe. I chronied a few rounds and it runs around 850 fps. The barrel you see in the photo is eye candy. Actual barrel is about 8" long with 12 grooves and a 7.5" twist....for a round ball. Lemme know when you figure that out,....I haven't. All I know is it shoots far, far better than I can.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

.22 CB Shorts rock. Quietly.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Ingwe,
I’m just asking this out of curiosity. One of your older post you said when hunting around the world you used a 7x57, 300 h&h, and a 375 h&h . Then one of your recent post you said you basically use 223 mostly now. What made you go to the 223 over something in the 24-28 caliber range?
If you were to hunt elk again would you take the .223 or would you step up to something a little bigger?
How is your 223 set up?

Good questions all. When I quit hunting the world I no longer needed the magnums, because I rarely hunt anything larger than deer or hogs. I found a properly loaded 223 kills them as well as anything Ive ever used.Also enough recoil over a few decades screwed up my shoulder big time so I shy away from hard kickers now.

My one and only rifle over .224 is the .275 Rigby ( aka 7x57) which comes out of mothballs whenever Im hunting something expensive or bigger than deer. Were I to hunt elk again, thats what I'd use...cause I killed a few with a 7x57 back in the day and it is entirely adequate.

And FWIW Ive got three 223s and they are as follows:

Rem 700 3x9 Hawke scope with lighted red reticle

Rem 700 stainless 223AI with Burris 3x9, also lighted reticle

Tikka Superlight 1 in 8 twist Minox 3x9 for daytime use.

The Rem 700...

The 700 in .223AI...

The Tikka....

Also FWIW I like the .222 for hogs and varmints, and the .17 Rem is excellent on hogs and fur friendly on varmints. Those are the two I use most.

You’ll smoke a turd in hell for posting game pics with a rifle wearing a Burris FFII. Everyone knows you can’t kill anything with a rifle wearing a POS scope like that!

One of the biggest optics bargains in existence. I have that scope on two rifles.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
17 Remington is no pansy round. I was trapping coyote on a large piece of property that was once a coal mine. There is as a piece of steel that was buried in the ground with a corner sticking out of the ground several inches. It was 3/8-1/2” thick.
It was a little over a hundred yards from where I parked my truck to check some sets. I always have my Tikka 17 Remington with me and would shoot the steel corner regularly.
One day I walked out to the steel and seen where the 17 bullets were punching a hole through the steel. Every where the bullet had hit was a small little hole through the steel.
That just impressed the heck out of me.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

.22 CB Shorts rock. Quietly.

I knew this was coming, and I bow to your prowess

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need for that. You don’t need to wear track shoes with your .17, thinking’ I probably should. grin

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ingwe,
I’m just asking this out of curiosity. One of your older post you said when hunting around the world you used a 7x57, 300 h&h, and a 375 h&h . Then one of your recent post you said you basically use 223 mostly now. What made you go to the 223 over something in the 24-28 caliber range?
If you were to hunt elk again would you take the .223 or would you step up to something a little bigger?
How is your 223 set up?

Good questions all. When I quit hunting the world I no longer needed the magnums, because I rarely hunt anything larger than deer or hogs. I found a properly loaded 223 kills them as well as anything Ive ever used.Also enough recoil over a few decades screwed up my shoulder big time so I shy away from hard kickers now.

My one and only rifle over .224 is the .275 Rigby ( aka 7x57) which comes out of mothballs whenever Im hunting something expensive or bigger than deer. Were I to hunt elk again, thats what I'd use...cause I killed a few with a 7x57 back in the day and it is entirely adequate.

And FWIW Ive got three 223s and they are as follows:

Rem 700 3x9 Hawke scope with lighted red reticle

Rem 700 stainless 223AI with Burris 3x9, also lighted reticle

Tikka Superlight 1 in 8 twist Minox 3x9 for daytime use.

The Rem 700...

The 700 in .223AI...

The Tikka....

Also FWIW I like the .222 for hogs and varmints, and the .17 Rem is excellent on hogs and fur friendly on varmints. Those are the two I use most.

Looks like it works. What bullet do you use mostly in the 222 and 223?

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

Looks like it works. What bullet do you use mostly in the 222 and 223?

Ive used a bunch of different ones but day in day out I gravitate towards the plain Jane Hornady S.P. with cannelure in 55 gr.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well done Poobs. The fact you’re a skilled rifleman doesn’t hurt either. I’m shooting my 7x57 a lot these days and it’s much more enjoyable than any magnum.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Well done Poobs. The fact you’re a skilled rifleman doesn’t hurt either. I’m shooting my 7x57 a lot these days and it’s much more enjoyable than any magnum.

You're not the first to come to that conclusion, won't be the last.

If kids and women kill stuff all the time with .223, .243 and such, why do guys seem need a .300 Wby to shoot the same stuff...?

I have some very nice magnums, just don't use them that much. They do have their place, just not where I'm hunting.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like some good fun.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If kids and women kill stuff all the time with .223, .243 and such, why do guys seem need a .300 Wby to shoot the same stuff...?

'Cause Roy Weatherby would never have found a purpose in life?

Y'all know I hope that a 5.56/.223 with FMJ bullets be elephant medicine.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good Stuff!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That’s pretty cool Ingwe.

You got any air rifles? smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

No...no exits even on the smaller ( 70 pound) pigs.

My assumption- and I think it proved correct- is that the little slug would enter and immediately blow up, transmitting all energy into the brain.
All the hogs I shot with it stiffened up, fell over and never twitched.

A .223 in the same place puts them down for sure, but it completely penetrates and you get a funky chicken act for a couple minutes.The .17 seemed to electrocute them. I chose the 25 HP because it is ever so slightly 'harder' than the Vmax.
[/quote]

Roy, Roy Weatherby…is that you?

Seriously though - Great pics and reflections on an interesting cartridge!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot a 60 or 70 pounder up the ass as it was exiting the scene last winter. 25gr Hornady from about 150 yards. I hit right on the root of the tail and it put both back wheels out of commission. I assume it penetrated far enough to hit the very end of the spine. Just a guess though, I wasn’t dissecting a pig when it was 15 below zero. At any rate it seemed to do the job.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good job Tom, Killing those stinking bastards makes me smile buddy!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.