Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you have had experiences, good or bad, I'd like to hear them.

I've been looking at McLane, Swardman and California Trimmer

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never heard of them. But I must admit, I’m not sure what a "reel" lawnmower is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't recognize those brands. Maybe I should get out more often.

I bought a Toro rotary, probably from Lowe's, about ten years ago and it still does the job. Starts on first pull. Honda engine, no alcohol gas. I replaced the air filter about 4 years ago and sharpen the blade each spring. Good value. Maybe they make a reel?
YMMV

Last edited by Border Doc; 06/11/21.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

One of those daym dreadful things that gomer pyle would have used as punishment for waving his dick at school kids.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice for cutting your personal bent grass putting green.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

One of those daym dreadful things that gomer pyle would have used as punishment for waving his dick at school kids.

laffin

Phug that, I don’t want to use anything I have to take a bastard file just to sharpen!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had one and the instructions said to use fine lapping compound to sharpen. Miserable torture device not suited to my once a month mowing regimen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I guess it's a retro thing. Kinda fun to see now.

It wasn't WAF 50 years ago. I'd rate it right up there with shelling peas and hauling hay.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a California Trimmer a year ago and love it. It does a great job.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Those damn things were harder to use than they look. Once you got the blades spinning it wasnt so bad but you had to get them spinning.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Powered reel mowers are generally used for turf grasses.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll stick with my John Deere X350, thanks.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you looked into how they are sharpened ?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The trend now is with cartridge mowers such as Swardman or Allett. They are good but pricey. The cartridges pop out and can be sent for sharpening. A company near Atlanta called Reel Rollers sharpens and sells TruCut and Swardmans. They may also sharpen others on a drop off basis.

Your choice may depend on grass type, size of lawn, cutting height and budget. Many folks with larger lawns have been purchasing used greens mowers such as ones from Toro, John Deere and Jacobsen.

For typical lawns, cut at 1/2 - 1.25 inches, I would seriously consider a Cal Trimmer over McLane or TruCut. They are built like a tank and reasonably priced. Both Swardman (B&S engines) and Allett (Honda engines) have had some long term maintenance concerns such as plastic gears and linkage and belt issues. McLanes have soft metal reels that dull quickly. TruCut mowers are kind of bulky and operator unfriendly… IMO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm?
Part of the hard gets cut at 3", part at 4.5"(an experiment) and the rougher parts at whatever is full up on the ZTR. Guessing a reel mower wouldn't be a real good choice.

Plus, I ain't pushing this yard.

Used to do over half of it when we were young and poor-er.
The rider only had 1st gear.
Wife rode, I trimmed with the pusher.
Then started mowing.

Oh the good old days.
I miss that fit, tougher, guy who had no aches.
Don't miss being broke.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than the expensive stuff used by some golf courses for certain jobs I don't think I've seen a gas powered reel mower around for years. Do they still make them for regular homeowner type lawn mowing? Years ago I heard that you get a better, more uniform cut with reels than with rotary mowers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We had small yards for quite awhile and I didn't see any sense in having to use gas, store it, etc.

I bought a McLane push type, no engine. I had no issue with the blades, but as mentioned, small yards didn't use up metal much. Sharpened it once or twice in a five year period.

Based on what some here are saying, I'd look into those other brands too.

If they made a battery operated reel mower, I'd be on it like the proverbial flies on poo. I love my Black and Decker rotary, but would prefer to cut the dandelions with a reel.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gas powered (as well as battery powered) reel mowers are becoming quite popular. Reel mowers have a scissors-like cut and do a much better job than rotary mowers. They do best on shorter cuts and non-bumpy lawns. The three popular "homeowner" types are Cal Trimmer, TruCut and McLane. The next level up are the cartridge types such as Swardman and Allett. The Toro Greensmaster is the most commonly used professional model used on home lawns. They are generally bought used as new models fetch around $15k + or -.

Both Allett and Swardman offer battery powered reel mowers in a mid price range. Cheap battery powered reel mowers such as SunJoe are available, but not that great IMO. They are almost throw away models.

Last edited by RicG; 06/12/21. Reason: addition
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be a baller - Deere 220 SL

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I jist started cussin' my daddy when I saw this picture.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 61 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.