Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I got to spend 25 minutes catching up with one of my mentors tonight. Jerry Jacques has always been a mentor and supporter throughout my life from high school. He was a guide and a rival high school coach - They would all work with me during my Jr. and Sr. High years 35 years ago. He could kick my ass and I was 10 lbs heavier than him but he was an ex Division I collegiate All American and I was a dumb kid who was tough. I would push him hard and he would give me lumps that I could heal from and I would give him lumps that he wouldn't as fast. He was a master guide on Bears and Sheep and had bought Joe Want's sheep area in the Eastern Brooks Range. Jerry had one of his former partner's take a out hit on him in Reno and he killed the guy(mexican hitman) in self-defense with a wrench. He also got mauled once in a tent and ended up going to Gunsite and working with Cooper until he had it all down well. Jerry got caught up in a bad divorce ( His wife ran off with his head assistant guide) and took him to the cleaners but he got custody of their boy(He figures that was fair). Jerry ended up broke and had to pawn his 180 and work at Talkeetna Air Service as a commercial pilot and mechanic. He worked his way back and met the right woman from Sand Point, Idaho. He decided to take a chance after 9/11 and went to work for the company. He did many things for them for four years and came out 4 million dollars tax free richer. He doesn't talk about this time but I found an article on the Internet about a situation that he handled in Chad.

https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/200...ad-and-chilling-mid-air-refuelling-stunt

He was in his late 40s when he worked for them. Jerry is doing great with his fishing business and is good friends with Phil and others. General Yeager made it a point to go fishing with him for many years. I am just curious if any of you folks have mentors.

Last edited by kaboku68; 06/11/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did have. My Scoutmaster was a WWII hero who fought behind Japanese lines in Burma. He taught me a great deal and his war stories were incredible. A truly great man.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/12/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had several mentors, especially in my Alaska piloting. Mentors always seems to just magically show-up in my life just when I needed one.......but was to oblivious to realize I urgently needed guidance. I suspect many have mentors and don't acknowledge them as such.....Sad.

We each are mentors without even realizing we are mentoring. It is a kick in the gut, when those we are mentoring get killed, leaves a empty space.....and questions without answers.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I did have. My Scoutmaster was a WWII hero who fought behind Japanese lines in Burma. He taught me a great deal and his war stories were incredible. A truly great man.

Your mention of WW-II war hero, reminds me of Keith Copeland, he was a mentor to me back in the 70's, but all I knew about him was he owned a cigarette and condom vending machine business, and three restaurants in Anchorage. Only twenty some years later did I read three full page obituary and story of his life in the newspaper. Only then did I learn about his WW-II life, and to read the account was beyond grasp. Strange how we never really know some people.

Few will ever know of his project to reach the origin of the Amazon River.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.