Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys hope everyone is well! I just recently inheritied this. Back when the Indian No.2A's were coming in, one company (Anyone know?) cut the barrels, added the jungle carbine flash hiders, slimmed the forends, and changed the upper handguards to make a "Jungle Carbine". Yeah, it's fake, in that they wee never issued this way, but wow is it a neat little gun! here's some not-so-hot pics of mine...enjoy!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
7.62 NATO/.308 to boot!
40 inches and 8lbs!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty nifty. How does it shoot?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Same with the so-called “Tanker Garand” never produced, but someone made up a few.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Same with the so-called “Tanker Garand” never produced, but someone made up a few.

Springfield Armory actually made some Factory “Tanker” Garlands in the late 80’s and early 90’s. They were in .308 instead of 30-06. Mine was very accurate too. Rare and expensive if you find one.

Cool little Enfield ! I’d buy a “faked” Jungle Carbine in a heart beat if the price was right. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I looks cool, but; it would be ever so much better if they started with a No4 Lee Enfield. That would have a proper looking rear peep and same basic receiver as the Jungle Carbine. The jungle carbine was the No5 Lee Enfield. Perhaps they cut down both No1 and No4. Anything to sell a gun and make a buck.

I never would suggest such a thing be done to a good rifle, but; some one could make thier own today. The flashhider/front sight is available. That would be only new part needed. There are a lot of sporteried No4 around. If that needed it, you might locate any combo of used stock parts and improvise or get a repro No5 stock.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It may have been Gibbs Arms that converted these?????

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Santa Fe?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lithgow Small Arms Factory made a handful of rifles almost identical to that in 1955, for the Royal Australian Air Force. Here's a link: www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL:19494

There had been a few earlier versions of shortened, lightened rifles based on the No 1 Mk III/III* made at LSAF before that, during WWII, intended for jungle warfare. Experimental batches only - a matter of hundreds - they didn't end up being adopted.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Some or one of the old importer ad's refereed to a No6. Apparently the gun posted by dan was inspiration for using that name. I dont know if the OP gun was fabricated and sold as a No6, but some definitely were, Instead of a poor copy of the No5, this now becomes a clone of the No6. Good post!

I also missed that this was a 308. That maybe a handful for casual shooting. I would want to reload for that, if fun shooting at a club was on the agenda.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I did a Google search and these Gibbs(?) modified guns have an official name: "Ishapore 2A1 No. 7 .308 Jungle Carbine"

The cut down 2A1 in 308 called a No7 while the cut-down No1 in 303 was called a No6.

IC B3

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gun was not produced by Santa Fe, but it may well have been Gibbs, in fact I think it was!

Has a short sight radius but actually does quite well, I can hit an 8" gong at 100 yds easily. I am going to have to paint the front post with touch, as it disappears in the rear V sight

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Gibbs= Navy Arms= Val Forgett,Jr. They had a retail/wholesale outlet in Martinsburg, WV, back in the day, chock full of such tasty items. Wandering around in there was truly an education in how to doctor milsurps. Ah, the good old days.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one of the S/A Tanker Garands in .308 and I have no trouble hitting the 300 yard steel with it. Bought some 5 round clips for it to hunt with but can't bring my old bones to carry it. Too heavy. Super fun gun.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, Cool, I'd buy one if I had the dies & components.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a N0. 5 Jungle Carbine that I restocked years and years ago. Fun to shoot, but I will tell you it has some vicious muzzle flip with 180 grainers. Secure the frond when shooting from a bench with a rest. Trust me on this one. wink

BTW - good job! ave fun!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have that same exact rifle in .308. numerics has magazines.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Kind of on the same topic of modified Lee Enfields - Navy Arms offered a 45/70 version of these rifles. I do not mean a jungle carbine, but; a somewhat modern looking hunting rifle. New barrel and sights. Cannot remember what they did with the stocks.

Edit: A Google search reveals Gibbs is currently or very recently making the 45/70 conversions. That seems a shame.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/21/gibbs-rifle-companys-45-70-no-4-lee-enfield/

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought that firearms imported into the US had to be stamped with the importer's name or mark. Maybe you can find the mark. That sounds like Forgett's work.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one just like it, and it shoots pretty well. My goal is to turn it into a scout rifle (yes, I know, its too heavy, but still!). Looking for a good scope mount to replace the rear sight, then have ring welded to the clip bridge to extend the iron sight radius.

Got mine for $350 and it came with 2 spare mags and the bolt tool.

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I do remember the ads but can’t remember what company was involved.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.