Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always thought that the value that a vented rib added was that it eliminated heat mirage rising off of a hot barrel. The other day an older than me water fowl hunter told me that he used the front corner of the rib to determine lead when pass shooting ducks and geese. I don't hunt water fowl, too much forced human interaction, and wonder if what the old guy told me is a common use for the vent rib.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VR probably does dissipate heat with high volume shooting, and they sure look good. Some say they help align your eye with the barrel and that makes sense to me. But, a trim pump gun with a plain barrel is a great upland gun, and you don't have to pick twigs out of the rib after going tbrough a buffaloberry thicket...which I've done quite often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re looking that close at the rib the ducks are pretty safe…
And it’s completely untrue

Last edited by passport; 06/09/21.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Depends I guess that more than a few people do things different than others do. The ability to accurately estimate range while pass shooting is invaluable. The area the width of your rib covers at different ranges will help you accurately estimate how far it is. Whether you can do that and still get off a shot is something else. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Any Duck hunter that has done it enough, knows by what his eyes tell them when they are in range. Knows when they are borderline and when they are too far out.....

And it isn't any different with any GameBird....you know before you decide to shoot. Varying skill levels allow some to stretch it.

Have yet to see any qualified shooter say the eye should be looking anyplace than directly over the rib or barrel.

Last edited by battue; 06/10/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300_savage
VR probably does dissipate heat with high volume shooting, and they sure look good. Some say they help align your eye with the barrel and that makes sense to me. But, a trim pump gun with a plain barrel is a great upland gun, and you don't have to pick twigs out of the rib after going tbrough a buffaloberry thicket...which I've done quite often.

Reason number one to have a solid rib Ithaca 37 or M12 as your upland gun ......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread. Lots of good advice here. I have to admit that PB's just don't look right to me. I'm a VR owner and shooter, and if that means pulling a reed or a cattail out of one, then so be it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Depends I guess that more than a few people do things different than others do. The ability to accurately estimate range while pass shooting is invaluable. The area the width of your rib covers at different ranges will help you accurately estimate how far it is. Whether you can do that and still get off a shot is something else. Mb

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you don't understand shotgun shooting.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the rib is just there to guide your eye to the bead, vented or not. I view the vents mainly as weight reduction or cosmetics.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
You may have noticed ribs are machined to have a surface which does not reflect like a shiny blued barrel does. The main function of the rib is to give you a better defined, unchanging sight picture so to speak. Ambient lighting and the angle of lighting makes a round barrel look different in different conditions.

This is not to say that you should actually look at the rib most of the time. You do see it in the periphery, though. That's how you gauge where to point it while focused on the target.

If your old timer was talking about pass shooting he may have been talking about using a pull-a-way method. I can see how that might work, but the few I've talked to about it just use the bead. The little I've tried it didn't go well for me.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30Gibbs, or an old Wingmaster!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe, but I do allright and I learned that from Tom Roster at his steel shot field shooting clinic. SDGFP probably doesn' t know sh*t either as they promoted subtension as a way to range geese also. The width of ones rib is constant and it covers so much area at different ranges if you know how big your target is then you know the range. That maybe of no value to you who sees himself as a chattering monkey. Like I said before on pass shooting knowing the range and being in the lethal range of your gun and load is a good thing and will help cut crippling loss. But hey passport carry on and show us your Michigan intelligence.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Male Duck, small female Duck, big female Duck….while the Duck is flying and the gun is moving guess the area it covers???? The Duck isn’t flying on a true horizontal, etc.

If Rooster is teaching that he should stick to ballistics and omit the shooting advice.

Shoot more than a little and the eyes know.

Addition: A 1/16 inch difference may cover 8 feet at 30 yard. I’m not buying it.

How far away is the outer edge of your decoys. 😉

Last edited by battue; 06/12/21.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Who is talking ducks? Not me, I specifically mentioned and talked pass shooting on geese. As a matter of fact I don't bother range estimating on rising going away birds either I just shoot them. Why is it you and passport feel the need to criticize anyone who knows things about shotguns and shooting them? You think you own this forum and only you 2 have rights to an opinion? So you know just keep it up with your opinions so everyone knows what an expert you are. Mb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am not a great wing shot, but am decent. I have used all varieties of shot gun barrels. I learned that a high vent rib on a trap gun that shoots fairly high. makes hitting easier. A target floating above the bead is easier to see and adjust ones swing . Side by sides have always been impossible for me to hit with , I find i tend to follow with left barrel ( being right handed) but i did shoot one with a goofy looking rib that helped. Having a clean flat sight plane is where the rib helps .Knowing the guns point of impact( high, low or dead on) is a function of fit and actual shooting a few sight in rounds is key to better shooting. All of this is just my humble opinion.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Me saying I’m not buying the theory is not a personal criticism against anyone. You mentioned it, so then it becomes open to comment. And in this case, Ducks, Geese, Pheasants or Rabbits running, I’m not buying it.

Now that I know you object to others not fully accepting whatever you say, in the future, I will try to let it pass without comment.

Last edited by battue; 06/13/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
before vent ribs or solid ribs, shooters sighted down a curved bbl surface. with time, shooters knew the alignment based on if all the bbl showed or just the bead hovering on the receiver. bbl showing was a high shot, bead on receiver was line of sight. knowing a gun was normally a 50/50 pattern, hovering bead was 50/50...and a bbl showing was 60-40 or even higher.
with a vent rib and dual beads, all that was eliminated. lining beads up in front of each other was a 50/50 and stacked beads (figure 8) became the 60-40 or whatever the gun was made to do. this is what guns are today.

i still shoot ribless guns and use the old way to achieve my pattern. works.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ribless! For my pleasure

I've had VR barrels, got rid of all of them ( I think). Much prefer plain. As a matter of fact my main goose gun had the bead broken off the end for the last six or eight years.. still worked just fine for me and the dog.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take the beads off your barrel, Look at the target!

I have never shot a target and said that was 20.30.40.50...... Yards.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 670 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.