Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son in law wants to start hunting. While I target shoot a lot, I never was much into hunting. He wants my advice on which rifle to get. So help me out, guys. Axis II XP in 308? Something better?

Be not weary in well doing.
BP-B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Ruger American is the best of the econo models. There will be a dozen recommendations to spend a little and get a TIKKA in the time it takes me to type this.

STRONGLY recommend spending most of the budget on scope mount and scope. The rifle and cartridge are less important for hunting. Really hard to go wrong on the gun, but mounts and scopes are more critical.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 06/12/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Budget?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Plain old savage 110, used, 300 bucks or less. Same for remington 700

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hunting what?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Get a 243……for Alaskan Brown Bear.

You’ll be an internet sensation.

Yea……I’ll bite on a bare hook.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would urge you to get a Tikka in 243, NOT savage package gun, their barrels in a bore scope look like pure hell.

Remington 783's have very decent barrels if you can find one in pawn shops, very fast lock time and steel magazine with a great limbsaver recoil pad, barrel is freefloated.

Thompson Contender has several bolt guns, they are very nice also, Venture in particular.

Ruger Americans are the best of the package guns, but they feel like pure cheap crap, which they are not which is astounding. Their triggers are not adjustable, and they have a plastic magazine box.

Tikka will never loose it's money, nor a rem 700 if you can find one in great condition.

Last edited by keith; 06/12/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Hunting what?

Critical information .

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Plain old savage 110, used, 300 bucks or less. Same for remington 700

Remington 700 for 300? You bumped your head

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Ruger American is the best of the econo models. There will be a dozen recommendations to spend a little and get a TIKKA in the time it takes me to type this.

STRONGLY recommend spending most of the budget on scope mount and scope. The rifle and cartridge are less important for hunting. Really hard to go wrong on the gun, but mounts and scopes are more critical.

^^^ THIS ^^^ 7mm - 08

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO the finest entry level hunting rifle that will last you a lifetime of use, is accurate, is reliable ... is a Savage 110.

I honestly do not believe anything else comes close.

Savage 110 either in 308 or 30.06 ... you cannot go wrong. Most accurate out of the box bolty ever built imho and the accutrigger is excellent.

ETA: A lot of Savage packages come with decent scopes for starters. They work. Your SiL can upgrade later with his glass.

Last edited by SCRooster; 06/12/21. Reason: Corrected autocorrect correction that was incorrect

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Hunting what?

Critical information .

Yes, it is. I don't think he knows for sure yet. I suppose that he is imagining going after deer. I'm sure he does not understand the differences between that and elk hunting.

We'll be discussing that, plus that fact that there is a lot more to hunting than just shooting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Own all of them and agree with prior postings re Ruger American and re putting the balance of your money on the glass. For the money, Ruger American is hard to beat, but the reality is that, unlike when we were growing up, most all manufacturers are putting out budget rifles that shoot minute of deer. Another thing that has changed is the improvements made in ammo....So, if it were me, I would guy the budget type rifle he prefers but would spend the bulk of my money on the glass....good luck.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 101guns
Own all of them and agree with prior postings re Ruger American and re putting the balance of your money on the glass. For the money, Ruger American is hard to beat, but the reality is that, unlike when we were growing up, most all manufacturers are putting out budget rifles that shoot minute of deer. Another thing that has changed is the improvements made in ammo....So, if it were me, I would guy the budget type rifle he prefers but would spend the bulk of my money on the glass....good luck.

What??? The Bushnell Banner that comes on budget rifle packages isn't good enough?????

Just joking. I know they are crap.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hunting deer and elk where?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T/C Compass II in 308 Win would be a good choice. I got one as a "truck gun" so I wouldn't care if it got beat up. Accurate, light and if you catch them on sale they are cheap. Got mine at Academy on sale and it ran me $247 including tax out the door.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

These comments about scopes are just regurgitated horse schit.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

Utah

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by denton

Utah

I’d look for a Remington 700 in 7-08.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Best beginner hunting rifle would be a Tikka 7mm 08 and 3x9 leupold, burris or nikon scope. Maybe not as cheap as a savage or ruger, but best as a starter.

Kill varmits through elk.

Kent

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
569 members (222ND, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.