Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
3/4 minus, washed.

🦫

This and rounded as opposed to sub angular to angular in shape. Washed means no fines but with no fines the rounded 3/4" will not settle and lock in places , they'll act like marbles. BUT IT WILL HAVE HIGHEST PERMEABILITY. If you want it to stay in place yet be permeable for quick drainage you need fine sand/ silt sized particle fines and sub angular shape it will compact better, stay that way better. No gravel surface course is immune to being tore up when it gets wet. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Clearly we need some courses in our community colleges exploring the various types of aggregate and their proper uses. Americans are waaaaaay behind the curve.

Look at China, building land out of ocean. And then they got that wall, that big, beautiful wall. They understands rocks.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/12/21.

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, I use it liberally in my driveway and to handle drainage issues here and there. Crusher run for the driveway and the clean stuff for everything else. I've walked barefoot on gravel so often that it's like tip toeing through the tulips.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Dig the hole deeper and wider.

I keep hearing that. I think aliens are playing it in my head.

Speaking of holes, how deep and wide would, you know, a good size hole be, if it was too small to start with and what would you recommend for making the small hole[[[ more]]] bigger??

i would just go BIGGER my 200 Zaxis will do the job and that will make it bigger as long as U have the money

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to be clear- gravel does not occur in nature. It by definition requires handling, some sort of process-ees. It must be crushed, cleaned, sorted, sifted, or washed to be gravel, otherwise it's rocks.

Or cobble. Could be cobble I suppose.

I must disagree with that, in nature there is a process that creates gravels , its called WATER , either fast flowing or in solid form crushing, rolling , grinding, creating huge or small deposits of well graded gravel , some called glacial moranes, or gravel beds or spawning beds for fish bearing streams,, need i go on in your education about man processed gravel products, because there are probably thousands of named products around the globe.

norm your teacher and mentor-----smile

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey norm it wouldn't be the campfire if we didn't disagree! This is The Official Campfire Gravel Thread. We await your tutelage.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What is the angle of repose on the pea gravel?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We now pause for a brief intermission in The Official Campfire Gravel Thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We now pause for a brief intermission in The Official Campfire Gravel Thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And i believe that that intermission is deflect me from more gravel based tutelage, but i do know that water or ice would flow freely over that specimen with no grinding or crushing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by norm99
Just to be clear- gravel does not occur in nature. It by definition requires handling, some sort of process-ees. It must be crushed, cleaned, sorted, sifted, or washed to be gravel, otherwise it's rocks.

I must disagree with that, in nature there is a process that creates gravels , its called WATER , either fast flowing or in solid form crushing, rolling , grinding, creating huge or small deposits of well graded gravel , some called glacial moranes, or gravel beds or spawning beds for fish bearing streams,, need i go on in your education about man processed gravel products, because there are probably thousands of named products around the globe.

Thank you Norm.

I was going to post similar, but after losing my title as the Smartest Man on the Campfire, I have no desire to share what little knowledge I have anymore.

PS, we call that angular stuff that's made from crushing rocks......................gravel.................but the proper term is.................

crushed rock. smirk

Last edited by Valsdad; 06/12/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by norm99

Thank you Norm.

I was going to post similar, but after losing my title as the Smartest Man on the Campfire, I have no desire to share what little knowledge I have anymore.

PS, we call that angular stuff that's made from crushing rocks......................gravel.................but the proper term is.................

crushed rock. smirk

YES but with a thousand names from pathway screenings , hydro blend, to 8 " minus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe too much info detail here.

I DO love that decomposed granite for lots of things, but has become difficult to find out this way. A pain. There is a bunch of pea gravel just sitting mounded up at an abandoned digging/crushing place across the way - would like to find a way to get a couple of loads of that.

The only "rounded" rock i was able to find up in NM was nature washed - they call it river rock - managed to get some mixed size in 20 yard loads - proved to be excellent for driveways. Came straight from a road building job site - from the river bottom to the excavator bucket to the belly dump, to our place. Never could find it sized.

Not so sure about the efficacy of that filter cloth - at least out this way. PO did that a bit here - years later there is black cloth working it way up through the original gravel driveway.

Lately, have used crushed Coronado Brown (1 inch) for covering new areas here. So far, so good, but summer rains will be the test.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Maybe too much info detail here.

I DO love that decomposed granite for lots of things, but has become difficult to find out this way. A pain. There is a bunch of pea gravel just sitting mounded up at an abandoned digging/crushing place across the way - would like to find a way to get a couple of loads of that.

The only "rounded" rock i was able to find up in NM was nature washed - they call it river rock - managed to get some mixed size in 20 yard loads - proved to be excellent for driveways. Came straight from a road building job site - from the river bottom to the excavator bucket to the belly dump, to our place. Never could find it sized.

Not so sure about the efficacy of that filter cloth - at least out this way. PO did that a bit here - years later there is black cloth working it way up through the original gravel driveway.

[[Lately, have used crushed Coronado Brown (1 inch) for covering new areas here. So far, so good, but summer rains will be the test.
]]

thats what i mean about 1000 names, different rock , different color, as to decomposed granite, i just call it rotten rock and like it because its easy to dig out of the bank. Another is crushed shale ,nice to work with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did Roy throw up on himself and pass out? LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Did Roy throw up on himself and pass out? LMAO

STILL on or in intermission ,,chuckel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At what size does rock become gravel?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/12/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Only amateurs call it gravel

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And only inbreds put a period after just one word LOL

Last edited by BobBrown; 06/12/21.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Are we talking gravel or crushed stone?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can we talk about aggregate?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
580 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.