Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I’ve lived and worked around a lot of Mormons.

Not a single one of them has asked me to join their church.

Face Book.....deja vu

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
What would you like to know about Mormonism? If you really want to know make sure and ask one not just spout what some guy who heard a rumor said.

I’ve never known one to own or even so much as drive a Cadillac Escalade.

Grins

The Mormons I’ve been exposed to are hard working, industrious folks who are always ready to lend a hand if needed.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Was John Moses Browning a Mormon?

Used to be a John Moses that frequented the fire. I wonder what happened to him or if he just changed handles?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Don’t know any Mormons.

Don’t think they’ve made it to MS.

We got the holy rollers. Jehovah witness.

Don’t even get me started on the “Saturday is the sabbath” Adventists.

Weeeel...........Technically, it's from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday. Seventh Day Adventists are a more modern western invention that skipped over the details. Thus, that why it's set to the western calendar and clock.

UH What? Skipped over what details?

It sounds like you are saying the SDA do not define Sabbath as Sundown to Sundown. Just like the Jewish Shabbat?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by deflave
I’ve lived and worked around a lot of Mormons.

Not a single one of them has asked me to join their church.

LOL. I have NO trouble believing THAT!

Bob (RJM) is sitting on the couch here. He says HI.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Don’t know any Mormons.

Don’t think they’ve made it to MS.

We got the holy rollers. Jehovah witness.

How come black folks are drawn to the JW's?

Acceptance? Not all of them excel at basketball you heartless prick…

Hahaha!

Yeah....but why?

No Christmas celebrations? No birthday parties?

At least they can drink.

If it comes down to birthday presents or alcohol, I’m solidly in the alcohol camp.

That's weird... wink

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The ones I know are some of the most genuinely nice, shirt off their back kinda folks I’ve ever met. Never once asked me to join the church. A guy I consider to be among some of my best friends is Mormon and I’m nearly positive if I needed help with anything, at any time, he’d be there.

I’ve seen him pull over to ask strangers if they needed help with a flat, seen him GIVE rifles to people to get them into hunting, seen him share great hunting locations with other folks who were looking for better odds, and routinely share his fish/game with people who had a bad season and ended up with an empty freezer. Hell, I saw him bring another buddy who fell on some hard times into his house and give him room and board for nearly a year while he got back on his feet without ever asking for a nickel in return.

Say what you will about it, but if it produces folks like that, it can’t be all that bad. I’d damn sure rather have people like that around me than some of the folks out there these days.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
1. Yes, John Moses Browning was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as I am now. And, he was my 8th cousin 3 times removed. Really. Of course a relationship that distant probably takes in a million or so people, but it is still kinda fun.

2. Does anybody take seriously most of the nonsense rumors about what we believe? If so, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. The actual beliefs are easily available at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org

Some members take seriously the church's encouragement to be honest, provide for our families, respectful to others, and to look for ways to help our neighbors. Others, not so much.

Last edited by denton; 06/12/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the beliefs as crazy as you hear, or are people exaggerating the ridiculousness? Magic underwear, god lives on a planet hidden by the moon, blacks can pray themselves white. You hear a lot of scheit, so trying to seperate the fiction from the fact.

Jack,

I hope this answers your questions.
You seem like someone who wants to know the truth.
I don't want to be unkind to any mormans, but I studied their beliefs and have attempted to lead elders to Christ. I've read large portions of their books and history and can't disprove the statements in this documentary.

If any LDS here takes exception, please note that it's not personal. Just search the KJV Bible and approach this with as open a mind as possible is my hope.
If you don't watch it all, please watch 138:00++on.
Good night.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Are the beliefs as crazy as you hear, or are people exaggerating the ridiculousness? Magic underwear, god lives on a planet hidden by the moon, blacks can pray themselves white. You hear a lot of scheit, so trying to seperate the fiction from the fact.

Jack,

I don't want to be unkind to any mormans, but I studied their beliefs and have attempted to lead elders to Christ. I've read large portions of their books and history and can't disprove the statements in this documentary.

If any LDS here takes exception, please note that it's not personal. Just search the KJV Bible and approach this with as open a mind as possible is my hope.
Good night.

I watched clips of that and its the same recycled crap the southern christian religions have tried to say for years. When I was a kid growing up in texas. the assemblies of god and the baptist would have special meetings for the sole purpose of bashing mormons. I personally feel they did this because mormonism was a threat to their own faith. The LDS church does not pay its clergy. the way our church does it leaves people asking, why are we paying for a preacher? religion is a business to many and the LDS church questions that. IMO its the reason these anti mormon videos have been produced.

as a mormon what I have always thought was interesting is ask a baptist what they believe and they can't tell you, ask a methodist they can't tell you either. Ask them what is the difference between a baptist and a methodist and they can't tell you, people choose their church based on weather or not they like the preacher. with mormonism the church is the same there or in hawaii. don't matter where you go, its the same gospel. rather than post anti videos, I think its more productive you explain why your faith is better. Or take issue with certain doctrine. either way a god fearing people will be a free people. I encourage ALL people to belong to a Christian faith. if enough people turn away from god our nation will no longer be free. I fear that has already happened. its more important for us to belong to a faith and practice it than quabble about differences. the truth is about 90% of mormonism is on total agreement with baptists, methodists, etc.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 06/12/21.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
The secret underwear is real.

` What's 'underwear'?

"Garments" that you wear and leave on all the time if you were married in the Temple in Salt Lake City.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Jack,

Good night.

I watched clips of that and its the same recycled crap the southern christian religions have tried to say for years. When I was a kid growing up in texas. the assemblies of god and the baptist would have special meetings for the sole purpose of bashing mormons. I personally feel they did this because mormonism was a threat to their own faith. The LDS church does not pay its clergy. the way our church does it leaves people asking, why are we paying for a preacher? religion is a business to many and the LDS church questions that. IMO its the reason these anti mormon videos have been produced.

as a mormon what I have always thought was interesting is ask a baptist what they believe and they can't tell you, ask a methodist they can't tell you either. Ask them what is the difference between a baptist and a methodist and they can't tell you, people choose their church based on weather or not they like the preacher. with mormonism the church is the same there or in hawaii. don't matter where you go, its the same gospel. rather than post anti videos, I think its more productive you explain why your faith is better. Or take issue with certain doctrine. either way a god fearing people will be a free people. I encourage ALL people to belong to a Christian faith. if enough people turn away from god our nation will no longer be free. I fear that has already happened. its more important for us to belong to a faith and practice it than quabble about differences. the truth is about 90% of mormonism is on total agreement with baptists, methodists, etc.
Mormonism is a cult.

There are a lot of differences between Baptists and Methodists. The biggest one is that Baptists, at least Southern Baptists, which are the biggest sect in the division of Christians called Baptists, is that Baptists are Calvinists and Methodists are for lack of a better term, Arminianists. That's possibly an oversimplification but...Baptists essentially believe that once you are saved that is it whereas Methodists believe that once you are saved, you can still be lost. That's a huge difference and many other differences in between the two sects emanate from that one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just saw this and sorry I didn't get into it a lot sooner.

I'm a Mormon, and I will answer anyone's sincere PM about ANYTHING that concerns this church.

To start with, please read Denton's post.

And Happy Camper, please excuse me for not watching your "MORMONS EXPOSED" flick. I've wasted a lot of my time disproving crazy crap printed about my church, and they just keep coming out with it.

I've never understood why people who call themselves Christians invest themselves in maliciously tearing down other churches instead of preaching about Christ and trying to live a good life.

And if you're thinking, "Yeah, but did you see what he said about this/that/the other thing? That's proof!"

Think on this - have you ever met someone who was SO persuasive that you nearly went along with what he said, even though he was so full of BS that you could practically smell it?

That's what 99 percent of those anti Mormon articles, books and movies are... exceptionally persuasive people with hate in their hearts. The other 1 percent are sincere explorers of truth that simply don't agree with our views on the trinity, eternal marriage or proxy baptism (and no, we don't "pray" people into heaven - what happens to you after death is what you deserve - the bible says that God the Father is a just God, and that's what I believe)..

Now, like I said, any sincere PM will be answered with the best information I can provide. I won't, however, bible bash with anyone on a public forum and expose my sincere religious beliefs to the harassment possible from a keyboard crusader with nothing better to do with his life than to insult other people with his ignorance.

Last edited by czech1022; 06/12/21.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
And if you want to figure some of this stuff out for yourself, go to www.comeuntochrist.org.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
All I've met are great Americans.

yep, wonderful folks and many mormon friends

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
HC is an ignorant zealot d bag who resides in a tiny ignorant universe, If these" christians " in America want to disparage Mormons might as well suck Obama' s cock. Dumb mother f'rs have zero understanding of history and world politics . It's embarrassing

Originally Posted by czech1022
Just saw this and sorry I didn't get into it a lot sooner.

I'm a Mormon, and I will answer anyone's sincere PM about ANYTHING that concerns this church.

To start with, please read Denton's post.

And Happy Camper, please excuse me for not watching your "MORMONS EXPOSED" flick. I've wasted a lot of my time disproving crazy crap printed about my church, and they just keep coming out with it.

I've never understood why people who call themselves Christians invest themselves in maliciously tearing down other churches instead of preaching about Christ and trying to live a good life.

And if you're thinking, "Yeah, but did you see what he said about this/that/the other thing? That's proof!"

Think on this - have you ever met someone who was SO persuasive that you nearly went along with what he said, even though he was so full of BS that you could practically smell it?

That's what 99 percent of those anti Mormon articles, books and movies are... exceptionally persuasive people with hate in their hearts. The other 1 percent are sincere explorers of truth that simply don't agree with our views on the trinity, eternal marriage or proxy baptism (and no, we don't "pray" people into heaven - what happens to you after death is what you deserve - the bible says that God the Father is a just God, and that's what I believe)..

Now, like I said, any sincere PM will be answered with the best information I can provide. I won't, however, bible bash with anyone on a public forum and expose my sincere religious beliefs to the harassment possible from a keyboard crusader with nothing better to do with his life than to insult other people with his ignorance.

Last edited by ribka; 06/12/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
1. Yes, John Moses Browning was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as I am now. And, he was my 8th cousin 3 times removed. Really. Of course a relationship that distant probably takes in a million or so people, but it is still kinda fun.
2. Does anybody take seriously most of the nonsense rumors about what we believe? If so, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. The actual beliefs are easily available at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org
Some members take seriously the church's encouragement to be honest, provide for our families, respectful to others, and to look for ways to help our neighbors. Others, not so much.
Denton here provides a good explanation of the positive side of the organization - I think he is accurate - and it mirrors my experieince with many individual LDS folks. It is not the only side.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mormons have bought up some big Ranches in this part othe country recently. Seem to be hard workers.

Couple weeks ago i made a trip to east TX.

Turn and burn. Mom wanted to see a nephew graduate.

Cuz says Mexicans from Dallas are buying land with cash.

CASH. 2-3 million at a time.

Funny how much money you have when you
don't have to give the gubmint a big chunk, huh?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great great great grandpa on mother's side
was one when he got here in the early 1800's
Fought in some kind of mormon battalion
during the mexican war ( 1840's?)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the beliefs as crazy as you hear, or are people exaggerating the ridiculousness?

After watching the documentary I posted for you, here's the less edited segment of the animated beliefs in a nutshell.

You'll notice that the mormans won't just own it that they are not the least bit in line with biblical Christianity. I've read much of their books they call ANOTHER testement and have seen their strange temple rituals.

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. "
Galatians 1 Applies to Moroni bolonie too.

The LDS sacraments cannot save them. It is a perversion of the true gospel. Christ is THE Only way to the Father in heaven. Those sacraments and good deeds are filthy rags in the sight of the true God of heaven.

The typical default is good people, family values or something along those lines.
The fact is that they have a different Bible than that of the New Testament. They claim to believe it, and then add other books that contradict it. Doctrines and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, Book of Mormon.

The final conclusion of the Bible says of their books,
"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"
Revelation 22

Their teachings contradict the basic teachings of the Bible, but they want to be considered just another evangelical denomination.

The fact is that their good works wont get any of them into heaven any more than anyone else. We aren't saved by our good works.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. "

Ephesians 2:8-9

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/13/21.
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.