Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I want to try the AR15 platform but I don't know where to begin. My primary purpose for the rifle would be deer hunting and shooting at the range. I want a .223 and I plan to use a scope. I think that I would like to buy a rifle off the shelf. What do you recommend?

Last edited by kandpand; 06/13/21.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
ARIC

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Since you're so close, look at Palmetto State Armory (PSA).

Mil Spec is Mil Spec is Mil Spec.

Daniel Defense is in Statesboro (Black Creek) but the are a little pricey for an "I want to try one" rifle.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. PSA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PSA makes good rifles & they're affordable. They can be bought in a kit, or buy the lower & the upper completely assembled. I have one of their freedom series rifles & it's a good accurate rifle. If you assemble it yourself you can get a decent barrel & trigger as opposed to buying one off the shelf. Just pick out the barrel length, twist, and gas system ( carbine, midlength, rifle length). Buying a S&W, or Ruger off the shelf isn't a bad option either.

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
S&W m&p sport II. Been seeing a lot of them around here lately. They are reasonably priced, shoot well and are available. Unlike some other brands. A "first" AR should probably be one thats properly put together from the factory. That way you have a good example to look at before you dive into building one yourself.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Daniel Defense is in Statesboro (Black Creek) but the are a little pricey for an "I want to try one" rifle.

Mil Spec isn't Mil Spec.
It's about way more than dimensions.
And most Mil Spec arent, on all dimensions.

That said, I have two PSA guns.
They work. Fine.
Got the enhanced triggers when I bought the lowers.
Great triggers, they ain't.
But if you can shoot, you can use these to hunt.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kandpand
I want to try the AR15 platform but I don't know where to begin. My primary purpose for the rifle would be deer hunting and shooting at the range. I want a .223 and I plan to use a scope. I think that I would like to buy a rifle off the shelf. What do you recommend?
Price as a big factor: Smith and Wesson MP15. Should come in around $700 today. Price as a lesser factor: Colt 6920.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Cut To The Fhuqking Chase For $649.99 RINK

S/S,Floated,18" and Rifle Gas...you are there. LOTS of them in these parts.

Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's the one I bought.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Cut To The Fhuqking Chase For $649.99 RINK

S/S,Floated,18" and Rifle Gas...you are there. LOTS of them in these parts.

Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Regardless of what you think of Stick, today he's right. For your purposes, this is likely to be the best bang for the buck. Assembling a lower is easy. If you can operate a hammer, punch and screw driver, you can assemble a lower.

PSA SS barrel shoot a lot better than their nitride barrels. Their other line that shoots really well is the CHF (cold hammer forged) barrels made by FN. If you expect heavier range use, and like a classic look, here's another option for the same price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

[Linked Image from palmettostatearmory.com]

Both appear to have PSA premium BCG's, which best I can tell are make by Tool Craft, so you're basically trading the Magpul furniture and nice rail for the FN barrel. Sticks recommendation also has the 18" barrel with rifle length gas which provides a smooth recoil impulse, and and is just a joy to shoot, but the 16" mid length isn't far behind it. Both are great options, but unless you expect to but more than 3-4K rounds through it the SS is probably the better option for you.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/13/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sticks recommendation is spot on. I have same and it is a half MOA shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm partial to Stag Arms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For occasional plinking and deer hunting, I’m sure one of the PSA kits would work just fine.
Next step up, my choice would be the Ruger then the S&W M&P.
Better would be a Stag Arms or Rock River

Best would be a FN, if you want a real mil-spec Rifle.

I wouldn’t waste my money on one of the new Colts. If I was buying a Colt, it would be one of the older ones.

FN would be my first choice, if money is not an issue.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three uppers from PSA with stainless barrels. One 18" Wylde with freefloat, supposedly a "match" barrel whatever that means, and two 16" 5.56 mid-length gas Freedom uppers. Been awhile since I had my LE6920, but I don't think it shot anywhere near as good as these stainless PSA uppers. The 16" PSA uppers are not freefloated, but they shoot surprisingly well. I think PSA lists them as A2 profile.

Never tried their nitride or CHF barrels but I'm curious about their stainless pencil barrels.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest getting a good trigger if the rifle or lower comes with a standard G.I. or even enhanced trigger.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the replies.

If I purchase the kit from PSA the only thing I would need is a lower? Which one?

Also, If I purchased a S&W M&P could I build the lower to fit my needs as I learn what my needs are?

What is a good trigger?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Just about any forged or billet lower will be fine. Brownells (and others) have some “17 Defense” in stock, and an Anderson/Stag/Spike’s are all fine, too. Expect to pay about $70-$100, for now.

You can spend more, but it won’t make it any more reliable or accurate.

Your best “upgrade” will be a $100-$150 Timney/CMC/et al, cassette trigger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the replies.

If I purchase the kit from PSA the only thing I would need is a lower? Which one?

Also, If I purchased a S&W M&P could I build the lower to fit my needs as I learn what my needs are?

What is a good trigger?

Yes, you can always build off of the S&W M&P. Upgrade to better parts down the road, if you want. Good triggers for the money are the Larue Tactical Mbt2s (2 stage) and RRA 2 stage varmint match. Both of those triggers can be had for under $100.00. Although the wait on the Larue is approx. 3-4 months.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of Rock Rivers, very accurate

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is a good trigger?

I've been using Larue triggers for a little over four years now. One out of an OBR, the others purchased separately. I have no complaints or desire to change, but there's a lot of options and you should consider whether you want a single stage or two stage. Not to mention the fact that some people don't like sending money to Mark Larue.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/14/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Mil Spec isn't Mil Spec.
It's about way more than dimensions.
And most Mil Spec arent, on all dimensions.

That said, I have two PSA guns.
They work. Fine.
Got the enhanced triggers when I bought the lowers.
Great triggers, they ain't.
But if you can shoot, you can use these to hunt.

Great triggers they are not, but I did put a JP reduced power spring kit in mine and it made the trigger quite a bit better. I liked it so much, I put one on a $15 mil spec trigger on a cheap 7.62x39 build I did, holy cow I really like that trigger now. Then I couldn't find any in stock for another build, and bought a KAK trigger spring kit, well I don't like it near as much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.