Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't worry it is not another generic hockey thread, This one is about the soul of hockey and why it is different than other sports.
Here is my list of reasoning why.

I don't mind when kid has a hockey player as there sports hero,
they are very family orientated and they conduct themselfs professionally on and of they ice.
I have never seen one not in a three piece suit off they ice, they don't beat there wifes or
get caught in hotel rooms with Hookers and piles of cocane on a table. They do more charity work and vist more hospitals
than any outher sports figures that I know of, and don't have there agents call the media to make it a photo op they do it without fanfare
from the goodness of there heart. They beat on each other like mortal enemys but at they end of the game will always shake hands.
All they other sports could learn a lot about hockey but the beat part of hockey is the fans.

Could there be anymore obnoxious poeple than New York and Boston I give you exhibit A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9XszOyy01Y

Even the fans are better poeple.

Dean

PS: I am sure there are some hockey players that have done bad things, but they are few and far between.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't agree more. Wife and I talk about the hockey attitude and it is different. This house is a total hockey fanatic environment.

My daughter is only 10 but gets on the ice year round. Her team was the MI state squirt champs last season.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Politics is just like hockey. There is a blue team and a red team........except both teams just beat on the ticket-buying fans.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I read years back in The Sporting News, Hockey players throw money around like manhole covers. As in, they don't.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My kids team parent organization is a tier 1 team in the USHL. They do alot in the community. Always at schools promoting reading skills, etc. Holding open skate teaching and promoting hockey lessons whether it's at the arena or any open ice.

Very professional group of guys, they don't have big paychecks so they do things that don't require money

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Canada hockey was all about the family, parents driving multiple kids around for hockey at 5:00am every weekend and sometimes practice at 5:00am as that was the only time we could get ice time. As kids we all played outside for fun on a pond made from horse pizz.

50 years ago at hockey school I remember the first time I saw an American playing hockey, who is this guy I wondered, he was a real good player and now Americans have embraced the game.

The attitude....when the Penguins won the cup last, Crosby was asked by some woke reporter if he was going to the White house to meet Trump, Crosby said it would be an honor, woke shyte is foreign to a Hockey player.

Fighting has always been a part of Hockey, I have seen parents fighting in the dressing room, in the stands, and the parking lot, and I have even seen the referee engaging in fisticuffs with another player lol, love the game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dislocated my shoulder once in the ice.

Reed Larson (the guy was the captain of the Red Wings) carried my big assed goalie bag to my car.

Somehow, I can't see many hall of fame players in other sports carrying some beer league never was' gear.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The living legend Marty Pavelich lives not far from me. I have spoken with him numerous times. Extremely humble and nice man. Like I said a living legend.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never played hockey. That being said the the hockey playoffs have no equal. Looking forward to tonight’s games.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
I have never played hockey. That being said the the hockey playoffs have no equal. Looking forward to tonight’s games.

Tampa vrs Islanders...3pm est today.....Montreal vrs Vegas ...monday night..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years ago, a pretty good, if not elite Russian defenceman played for the Los Angeles Kings. He beat his girlfriend/wife. When the news came out that the player was going to be charged, the league investigated and suspended the player indefinitely. Apparently there was substantial evidence of the offence as the player has not played another game in the NHL.

Compare that to the NFL where that running back beat his wife in the elevator and it was on tape. How long was he suspended? Or Ray Lewis accused of murder. Or the New England tight end convicted of murder.

There have been tons of hockey players that drank too much or did drugs, but most of that is in the past. They have to be fit year round to have a sniff at the NHL. You cannot be NHL fit and have a dependency.

Last edited by AB2506; 06/13/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673
Here in Canada hockey was all about the family, parents driving multiple kids around for hockey at 5:00am every weekend and sometimes practice at 5:00am as that was the only time we could get ice time. As kids we all played outside for fun on a pond made from horse pizz.

50 years ago at hockey school I remember the first time I saw an American playing hockey, who is this guy I wondered, he was a real good player and now Americans have embraced the game.

The attitude....when the Penguins won the cup last, Crosby was asked by some woke reporter if he was going to the White house to meet Trump, Crosby said it would be an honor, woke shyte is foreign to a Hockey player.

Fighting has always been a part of Hockey, I have seen parents fighting in the dressing room, in the stands, and the parking lot, and I have even seen the referee engaging in fisticuffs with another player lol, love the game.

Another good post. One of the best forwarders on my kids team actually congratulated the other teams tender for stopping one of his shots. He got 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, tender told the ref to basically fug off and Benny got 2 more for telling the ref he was #1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Springcove

Tampa vrs Islanders...3pm est today.....Montreal vrs Vegas ...monday night..

Thank you for the correction. I looked at the programming wrong. I will be watching both.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Originally Posted by 673

Another good post. One of the best forwarders on my kids team actually congratulated the other teams tender for stopping one of his shots. He got 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, tender told the ref to basically fug off and Benny got 2 more for telling the ref he was #1

My buddies kid got a penalty and was in the box, the ref skated by and looked at him, and my buddies kid yelled at him what are you looking at fatty, you want a piece of cake? LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are no LeBrons in hockey, thank God.

It is disappointing that the players are undiscerning and support BLM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of our games, none of the refs showed up. The Zamboni driver, who plays himself and working to get his ref credentials found a uniform went on the ice as the ref so the game could go on.

My wife was running the clock and he told her he was hesitant to sign the sheet cuz he wasn't a real ref. She said to sign it like a doctor. No one will know.

For only 1 ref on the ice, he did a real good job. Other team didn't even complain even though we beat their ass

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673

2 years ago we had a mom beat the crap out of a dad from the other team. I was in the parking lot helping a mom from our team cuz she blew a heater hose on their van and seen police show up. WTF? I guess this dad called her son white trash and a racist, etc. He looked like Waldo and this little blonde opened a can of whoopass on him. Cops basically dismissed it.

She got banned and alot of us went in front of the hockey league board in her defense.

Next time we played that team we all wore " where's Waldo" shirts. He kept his mouth shut

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by granitestate1

I have never seen one not in a three piece suit off they ice, they don't beat there wifes or
get caught in hotel rooms with Hookers and piles of cocane on a table.

PS: I am sure there are some hockey players that have done bad things, but they are few and far between.

🤣
You've led a shelter life my friend. Bobby Probert's name instantly came to mind... And there were others. One of the russians on the team with Probert who shall remain nameless had a taste for eighteen year old girls. He'd pick them up in the greater Detroit area, run em over to Windsor (where they could drink legally) and party like a rock star with said females.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did not say they were infallible but the bad ones are few and far between, and lets face it Bob Probert or a person of his character would not be signed today. And as far as Russian players I was kinda referring to north american players. If you were to play word association and someone said "Russian" You would have a long list of negative condensations just look at there country. or even better there mob that says it all about there respect for themselves and life in general.

Dean

Last edited by granitestate1; 06/13/21.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s anecdotal, and I don’t feel like digging into it to find the source, but I remember reading this story about Crosby and his girlfriend on the way to some vacation in Canada or something. They’re driving along and see this kid out playing hockey by himself. Sid pulls over and get out and skates with the kid for like an hour, or two, just playing hockey out in Canada somewhere. No agent, no publicity, just saw a kid playing and got out to bat it around with him for a bit.

Could you imagine being that kid? Thinking you’re gonna get out a skate for a bit on your own, like you’ve probably done hundreds of times before, and then up walks Crosby to play along?

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 06/13/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.