OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

All American

All the time
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just dip your flies in sweet corn juice! It's like catnip for fish. Crappy and Largemouth bass love it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Tiny poppers work well for bluegills on a fly rod. A nice light 7’ 3 WGT rod is a blast !

In the last few months have built a 6 wt, 2 5's and a 4. The four is my bluegill rig....9' though. I've gone from offshore fishing to the pond and loving it. Who'd have thought.

Don't bother taking a fly rod offshore. It's fun for the first 300 yards.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Torqued, i like it a lot, have had it a few years now and it has work fine. I don’t think it is a true rotary vice, but for what I do it is more than adequate.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BangPop
I tied somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 or 90 dozen last winter. One nymph pattern that I fish on Hebgen Lake accounted for 40 dozen of those. I got sick of knocking out 2 dozen at a time and running out in two mornings last summer. 40 dozen will get me through the 6 week Gulper season.

I was just thinking today gotta run down to HEGBEN. Already tied up a few dozen of gulper and callebeatis nymphs and midge patterns

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to tie flies when I was a teen, then I put all my fly-tying supplies in storage. The mice got to it.

Maybe one day, I'll give it another shot.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took some classes at the local orvis shop about 15yrs ago. I’d say my flies were about as good as any orvis fly....I caught pretty much nothing on either.

Fear the crabcat.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I used too - but I live where there are not trout…

I took a Orvis class to learn how… all good

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SS336
Torqued, i like it a lot, have had it a few years now and it has work fine. I don’t think it is a true rotary vice, but for what I do it is more than adequate.

Excellent. From what I have seen of it,it looks like it should suit my needs. Hell no better than I can see anymore I may not like tying my own flies ! So I don't need to invest in a $600 vise.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I used too - but I live where there are not trout…

I took a Orvis class to learn how… all good

Not sure where you live in Eastern Kansas,but Roaring River State Park is 65 miles S.E. of Joplin Mo.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Tried fly tying. Found rubber spiders purchased at the store were way more gooder.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I usually just zip my fly.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Used to teach fly fishing & tied my own flies also. Specially deer hair bugs. Umpqua Feather Merchants picked up a few of my patterns: The McSnake, McFrog, & McMurderer.
Check them out.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly for trout and steelhead here. Trout can be finicky. I favor the steelhead flies as one is not trying to match a hatch. Seems they rise to flies as an instinctive reaction, spirit of the chase, or perhaps anger due to invasion of space. It's just fun to sit down with materials and think "this might look nice." They all seem to work just fine, and each is retired when a fish is beached.

Steelhead boxes.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Retired flies from last trip:

Spawning Brookie will eat anything that moves.

Been using the old Thompson A's for decades. Purchased a Nor Vise a couple months back. Maybe I need more time, but to date, am not overly impressed. Seems like I need two hands to get things tightly wound down.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/13/21.

1Minute
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've tied for years, I have hundreds of fly's. Mostly patterns for the local waters,+ many for pike. I like fishing one fly to see how many fish I can catch on it. Have a few favorites for the local waters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Mostly for trout and steelhead here. Trout can be finicky. I favor the steelhead flies as one is not trying to match a hatch. Seems they rise to flies as an instinctive reaction, spirit of the chase, or perhaps anger due to invasion of space. It's just fun to sit down with materials and think "this might look nice." They all seem to work just fine, and each is retired when a fish is beached.

Steelhead boxes.

Been using the old Thompson A's for decades. Purchased a Nor Vise a couple months back. Maybe I need more time, but to date, am not overly impressed. Seems like I need two hands to get things tightly wound down.

I grew up before bobbins were coming into vogue and they first started making fancy vises... My father forced me to learn to tie in hand, no vise, and I really appreciate the fact he saw the advantage. Switching to the Nor-Vise was neither easy nor automatic, but I am very glad I got past the learning curve quickly and easily.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of nice fly work here, mine are still a little rough but I'm catching fish with em. Very satisfying building your own rods and flies.

All American

All the time
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1minute, those flies are a work of art.
Mine are not that polished to say the least. Tie for trout and panfish. It is gratifying, to say the least, catching fish on your own flies. Very much like killing deer with your own handloads.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1minute

Steelhead boxes.

Wow. 1 minute the flies you tie are absolutely amazing. Like ss336.said, they are a work of art.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the comments, but my efforts are solely functional at best. The true artists are those capable of the classic Atlantic Salmon patterns. A major issue with those, however, is securing materials, as it's damned near impossible to import the exotics from mostly India and Africa. One needs to luck into a well heeled estate that dates back to the 1930's or 40's and hope the moths haven't gained entry.

There's something like 24 or 5 different materials comprising a Jock Scott. Those capable of generating such might get 2 or $300+ each, it would arrive in a shadow box, and I sure as Hell would not toss one in the water.
[Linked Image from d247nfungkrxrr.cloudfront.net]

Sitka: Your comments remind me of an aged gentleman I encountered a few times on Oregon's Metolius. Probably 90+ yrs. Seems he made a 3-hour run from Portland and arrived minus his fly boxes. He wandered up and down the banks for a couple hours finding some decaying flies and hooks in bank side branches, took some thread from his tattered clothing, and raided a few abandoned bird nests for bits of fur and feathers. Said he spent half his weekend fabricating three or four no name flies cementing them with melted pine pitch, and though he only caught a few fish, it was his most enjoyable trip ever.

Necessity can be a mother.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 06/14/21.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.