Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
As in the Mormon thread, this thread shows signs of being epic.

Brobdingnagian even.

one more.

Come on man, this is the 'Fire!

Surely the word borborygmus would better apply to this crowd! eek grin

John

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The trick in all this is to keep from baffling your readers.

When I was a youngster, I was one of those weird kids that read the dictionary for fun. My folks bought me a big thick one when I was eight, and I liked reading dictionaries almost as much as watching TV.

When I got to college, I already had a monstrously large vocabulary. I was in a Broadcasting/Journalism program. I got into my first Broadcast Writing course, and the professor went ballistic on us after we turned in our first assignment. A significant segment of the class was barely literate. The prof, our department head, decided to give us the assignment of a) learning 5 new words per week. b) learning to use 5 new words in everyday conversation. For most, it was a major chore. It led to a row that finally caused the departure of the department head. Me? I loved the assignment. I took it to heart. I walked out of that program with a good command of the language.

What I can tell you all is it is not about just using obscure words. The trick is to use them along with other things to add depth and color to your writing without the reader knowing. Just there, I could have used "nuance," but a good number of you would have turned up your nose. Another trick is to throw in a word or two, but do it in such a way that the reader still feels like he is being talked to as an equal. It lifts the reader up. The whole point here is to get ideas across, and the best way to do that is to make the reader feel good about what you are trying to communicate. Big words that don't mean anything to the reader do not make that happen.

About 10 years out of college, I was working at a mutual fund company, running their portfolio management computers. The head of the bond funds called me in one day and gave me a key piece of advice. Bill sat me down and told me that I had one big flaw, and I needed to take care of it before I advanced in business. "You talk over everyone's head," he said. "You talk over my head, and I've been at it 40 years." Everyone knows you are smart, but if they can't understand you, you're not going anywhere. I took that one to heart, and started re-working the way I spoke.

About a decade later, I was talking to a young first shift supervisor. By this time, I had moved to manufacturing. He was leaving the company soon, and we were wishing each other well.

"You're the smartest man I ever knew," he said. "But you always talked to me as an equal. You never talked down to me, and you always made sure I understood." I told the fellow that this was the best thing I ever heard, briefly explaining the mutual fund manager. I knew I'd finally met his challenge.

So what is that huge vocabulary doing for me now? Strap in. I've got a story for you.

I used to work for a very large corporation. I was working at a small property owned by a minor division that was kind of a flea on the tail end of the dog. We got a new divisional president inflicted on us. The first thing he did was throw the whole business into turmoil by reorganizing everything. A year later, our side of the business had tanked. The division had tanked. The whole bloody thing had tanked. The president called for a conference call to huddle up.

He bloviated for a good long while. Most of it was pure hot air, but I kept hearing him use a word, "choiceful." Look it up. He was using it like it was a good thing and threw it out a couple dozen times in the course of an hour.

"We need to be choiceful going forward."
"I have taken this plan to the CEO, and he concurs with our being choiceful. He is being choiceful in this matter as well."
"Our organization is going to be choiceful beyond all other things."

etc.

I am not really sure what he meant by choiceful. I vaguely remembered it, and I was not satisfied until I got back to my desk and looked it up. I asked a few of my peers; they didn't know what he'd been saying either.

choiceful, adj: having an inability to make decisive choices. Syn. dithering.

I concluded:

1) He didn't know what he was talking about.
2) His bosses didn't know either.
3) We were all going down the tubes, because nobody knew what they were doing.
4) This guy's days were numbered, and he was taking us down with him.

In fairly short order, all this came to pass. I had seen it coming all from the overuse and misuse of one word.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
COCK

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Big words were meant to be more precise and exacting. I believe the Age of Reason and the Industrial Revolution spurred research into metallurgy and chemistry, and thus education in general. To get your non mathematical ideas across though post of book, you had to use the exactly correct words. It was an scientific and academic arms race into the Age of Imperialism.

Well said RG. Gnoahhh loaned me the book The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World and it really brought out, among other stuff, the evolution of technical language to describe advancements at the time that were astonishing. We just accept those words today as everyday phrases but were the esoteric language of inventors then.

The book is well worth a read if you have any interest in machining, measuring and how we got where we are today.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've developed much more appreciation for precision in communication over the last fifteen years due to the necessity of frequent communication with German engineers. They speak English very well, mostly, but it is quite easy to confuse them when too many pronouns or more obscure terms are used.

I think that sometimes there is a perfect word that is not commonly used but in some certain instance is most fitting and completes a thought most succinctly. When done artfully, the meaning becomes perfectly clear by context.

On the other hand, using words that befuddle---no matter who the audience is, is just pointless noise. Captain, in Cool Hand Luke said it best:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
People that enjoy learning soon realize that most folks embrace the average and simplify their comms around average people. A great communicator can simplify complex thought to influence the proletariat. A learned clear thinker can appreciate both complex and simple language and concepts and apply them appropriately to real life. When you quit learning you start dying. mike r
Quite a bit of good insight here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
I like to read stuff that teaches me new words and/or concepts. Being patted on the head like a baby Robin who needs someone else to partially digest the worm before being fed is insulting. On the other hand there are folks who use big words for no reason. I find the many folks I run into these days who use the “f” word every 5 seconds to be more annoying myself.
I appreciate this post - very good. But - the part in bold - how do you KNOW this unless you are such a person?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Students entering the ed major have the lowest SAT scores yet still come out of the major with the highest grades.
Interesting statement. Kindly post the unimpeachable source for this data or, better yet, the data itself. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman

When I was a youngster, I was one of those weird kids that read the dictionary for fun. My folks bought me a big thick one when I was eight, and I liked reading dictionaries almost as much as watching TV.

When I got to college, I already had a monstrously large vocabulary. I was in a Broadcasting/Journalism program. I got into my first Broadcast Writing course, and the professor went ballistic on us after we turned in our first assignment. A significant segment of the class was barely literate. The prof, our department head, decided to give us the assignment of a) learning 5 new words per week. b) learning to use 5 new words in everyday conversation. For most, it was a major chore. It led to a row that finally caused the departure of the department head. Me? I loved the assignment. I took it to heart. I walked out of that program with a good command of the language.

What I can tell you all is it is not about just using obscure words. The trick is to use them along with other things to add depth and color to your writing without the reader knowing. Just there, I could have used "nuance," but a good number of you would have turned up your nose. Another trick is to throw in a word or two, but do it in such a way that the reader still feels like he is being talked to as an equal. It lifts the reader up. The whole point here is to get ideas across, and the best way to do that is to make the reader feel good about what you are trying to communicate. Big words that don't mean anything to the reader do not make that happen.

About 10 years out of college, I was working at a mutual fund company, running their portfolio management computers. The head of the bond funds called me in one day and gave me a key piece of advice. Bill sat me down and told me that I had one big flaw, and I needed to take care of it before I advanced in business. "You talk over everyone's head," he said. "You talk over my head, and I've been at it 40 years." Everyone knows you are smart, but if they can't understand you, you're not going anywhere. I took that one to heart, and started re-working the way I spoke.

About a decade later, I was talking to a young first shift supervisor. By this time, I had moved to manufacturing. He was leaving the company soon, and we were wishing each other well.

"You're the smartest man I ever knew," he said. "But you always talked to me as an equal. You never talked down to me, and you always made sure I understood." I told the fellow that this was the best thing I ever heard, briefly explaining the mutual fund manager. I knew I'd finally met his challenge.

So what is that huge vocabulary doing for me now? Strap in. I've got a story for you.

I used to work for a very large corporation. I was working at a small property owned by a minor division that was kind of a flea on the tail end of the dog. We got a new divisional president inflicted on us. The first thing he did was throw the whole business into turmoil by reorganizing everything. A year later, our side of the business had tanked. The division had tanked. The whole bloody thing had tanked. The president called for a conference call to huddle up.

He bloviated for a good long while. Most of it was pure hot air, but I kept hearing him use a word, "choiceful." Look it up. He was using it like it was a good thing and threw it out a couple dozen times in the course of an hour.

"I have taken this plan to the CEO, and he concurs with our being choiceful. He is being choiceful in this matter as well."

etc.

I am not really sure what he meant by choiceful. I vaguely remembered it, and I was not satisfied until I got back to my desk and looked it up. I asked a few of my peers; they didn't know what he'd been saying either.

I concluded:

In fairly short order, all this came to pass. I had seen it coming all from the overuse and misuse of one word.

You’re never gonna make Oracle with word salads like this that take a semester to read.

Just saying.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
burp

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
COCK

Great, now JimfromTN will join in.....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am a lover of the English language, having studied and written in it all my life. It has led me to be a sesquipedalian who delights in precise but sometimes obscure words. The late and philologically erudite Dr Ken Howell had a treatise called "Use the Right Word" and its point is that there is but one absolutely correct word for every idea being written. Sometimes that word is short and common and sometimes it is polysyllabic and uncommon - but using one in place of the other loses meaning.

So...in answer to the original question, when I write I can use my vocabulary to be a clear as possible, or write to the lowest common denominator among us.

Which would apparently mean writing in grunts and single syllables for some of you.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I am a lover of the English language, having studied and written in it all my life. It has led me to be a sesquipedalian who delights in precise but sometimes obscure words. The late and philologically erudite Dr Ken Howell had a treatise called "Use the Right Word" and its point is that there is but one absolutely correct word for every idea being written. Sometimes that word is short and common and sometimes it is polysyllabic and uncommon - but using one in place of the other loses meaning.

So...in answer to the original question, when I write I can use my vocabulary to be a clear as possible, or write to the lowest common denominator among us.

Which would apparently mean writing in grunts and single syllables for some of you.

Lol...the definition of "sesquipedalian" is shorter than the word.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by P_Weed
burp

xclnt!

( I like abbreviations too)

(funny, but that words for shortening of words is pretty long in and of itself)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by shaman

etc.

I concluded:

You’re never gonna make Oracle with word salads like this that take a semester to read.

Just saying.

🦫

I never would have made it if years ago 'flave hadn't shamed and guilted me into shortening up my posts as he seemed unwilling (unable??) to read more than about 15 words at a time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This guy does the three little pigs with Shakespearean style. Worth a watch.

John Branyan - The Three Little Pigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxoUUbMii7Q

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I am a lover of the English language, having studied and written in it all my life. It has led me to be a sesquipedalian who delights in precise but sometimes obscure words. The late and philologically erudite Dr Ken Howell had a treatise called "Use the Right Word" and its point is that there is but one absolutely correct word for every idea being written. Sometimes that word is short and common and sometimes it is polysyllabic and uncommon - but using one in place of the other loses meaning. So...in answer to the original question, when I write I can use my vocabulary to be a clear as possible, or write to the lowest common denominator among us. Which would apparently mean writing in grunts and single syllables for some of you.
Quite good in my view.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I never would have made it if years ago 'flave hadn't shamed and guilted me into shortening up my posts as he seemed unwilling (unable??) to read more than about 15 words at a time.

Flavors, attention span is based on the amount of time it takes him to inhale BobbyBrownButts cock.

2 seconds.

LOL

🦫

PS

Kick to Punky Brewsters pussy...Laffin

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by mathman
Students entering the ed major have the lowest SAT scores yet still come out of the major with the highest grades.
Interesting statement. Kindly post the unimpeachable source for this data or, better yet, the data itself. Thanks.

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/education-major-study.pdf

I had been reading an article which included a reference to this study.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If ya need big words to get off, study German; it'll be orgasmic.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.