Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I was only bidder on a nice rifle, I paid the minimum starting price.
Guy did not respond to me for 4 days, and then he wanted me to pay with paypal. Naturally I won't, and dont have an account.
Now he wants a money order, and that was my preferred method of payment that I checked off as a buyer. But now he said he is not setup to accept GB checkout. I don't know what that means. I do know he has not completed the GB form that requires him to give a shipping cost, so the GB invoice is not active. So he did not accept yet I guess.
to me this looks fishy. Since I did not buy anything from GB for a few years, this seems unusual.
I sent GB the details, but I wanted to see what you guys think about the safety of the transaction. He has a newer account with a few transactions this year. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Talking to the seller on the phone, or better yet via facetime, has worked well for me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had that happen with 1000 primers, got it on a low/ no bid, took seller 2 weeks to contact me, then said that he was not set up for checkout/ taxes. WTF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nothing wrong with the not being set up for Gunbroker checkout. To be set up for that you have to have a merchant account and take an associated payment form. All of which take a cut/charge a fee. Increasing the seller cost increases the price to the buyer. I’ve sold more than 50 items on Gunbroker over the last 10 years and have a perfect A+ rating. Some of the guns I’ve sold have been high end, well over $2500. If you need the merchandise immediately then use Venmo or Zelle. You’d be surprised at the buyers who expect you to ship before the check has cleared. In fact a couple had the nerve to ask me to ship before they sent payment.

Last edited by w8d4it; 06/14/21.

NRA Benefactor - Patron - Endowment - Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have also purchased a couple items of GB where the sellers didn't use GB checkout. One was a sporting goods store and the other a pawnshop. Both transactions went perfect. However, before I sent payment I requested a phone number and spoke with the seller asking a few basic questions just to see if any red flags came up!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks now I understand the GB checkout part.
The transaction is still froze at step #3 where the seller sets the shipping and total cost. In step #2 I said I would pay via USPS MO. I did that 4 days ago.
So with the order not finalized, he wanted paypal, and now USPS MO. But I think he has to accept step 3 before I mail the money. I hope he was not trying to get me to send without completing through GB, that way I have some protection.
I will call and see what is happening.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is he using an FFL on his end TerryK ? Or would he be willing to if you paid the extra fee ? I have used an FFL as a 3rd party a couple times as an extra layer of protection against getting shafted. I have constant contact with the seller as well as their FFL. Ive even sent the MO to their address but in the sellers name.

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The rifle is a flintlock, so no FFL.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just got a rifle last month off GB. Guy wasn't set up. I couldn't do steps to check out and contacted the seller. We agreed to use PP, F&F to protect us both. He agreed to only go through FFL on both ends. Worked out fine, but admit it was a bit un-nerving at first. Direct contact and see if you get a bad feeling about him.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
P P friends and family didn’t protect anybody. If he hadn’t shipped the gun you would have been SOOLuck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickinTN
P P friends and family didn’t protect anybody. If he hadn’t shipped the gun you would have been SOOLuck.

Likewise if it was paid as goods and services, or whatever the fee-based one is called.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the seller have positive feedback?
A lot of sellers are not set up with the auto check out. I've never used it.
If the seller has plenty of positive feedback you should be good to go!
Good luck
Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OBDGB

Only
Buy (From)
Dealers on
Gunbroker

there are as many fraud ph-uks on GB as Craigslist or armslist. that sucks too because there are becoming fewer and fewer honest personal sellers in the world. I buy on GB but only from dealers. don't trust anyone. the better the deal and the longer the wait for communication only raises more flags.

MHO. strike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a dealer and have bought and sold loads on GB. Without an issue. I also have 250+- 100% feedback.
I've returned one gun and had 2 returned to me.
If a seller has 100% perfect feedback, what difference does it make if the seller is or isnt a dealer?
I'll talk to any buyer via email or they are welcome to call me.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Terryk
Thanks now I understand the GB checkout part.
The transaction is still froze at step #3 where the seller sets the shipping and total cost. In step #2 I said I would pay via USPS MO. I did that 4 days ago.
So with the order not finalized, he wanted paypal, and now USPS MO. But I think he has to accept step 3 before I mail the money. I hope he was not trying to get me to send without completing through GB, that way I have some protection.
I will call and see what is happening.
What protection??? Gunbroker wont do anything ! ask me how I know .

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.