Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I know this is hard to do, but we have some knowledge folks here, and I saw an older Browning at the LGS.. It has 30 " barrels with a solid rib. I would say the stock has been shortened as it fits me perfectly... It has been shot it opens easily and closes tightly.. The opening lever is about the center of the tang... It fits so nice is what attracts me... It is $699 I believe.. Less than 700.. I might get it for a bit less, the owner was out... What is the verdict.. It isn;t beat, but it has been use.. Blue was good, not white showing that I remember and no cracks or deep scratches in the stock.. I can get pics, if someone will post.. Just wanted to know about the price, ball park or not..

Molon Labe
BP-B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The solid rib guns are worth less than those with a vent rib. Unless the gun is in pristine condition, you are apt to be disappointed. The top lever in the center indicates wear on the bolt, and will require replacement (several hundred dollars for parts and fitting). Twelve gauge guns are common and are
Not highly prized unless a rare configuration and high condition.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A gun that fits and points where you look is worth whatever it costs, IMO. Gun fit is what puts birds in the grass. Plus a Super is one of the best guns ever made. I have no idea what the market price is, but I would buy it. Then I would send it to the Browning place in St. Louis for a strip and clean.

I passed on a similar gun for $200 - in 1966. Needed the money for something else.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
How's it choked? Single trigger or double? Extractors or ejectors? That old they certainly aren 't for steel shot. They are good guns but brownings all have super tight chokes. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's a pre-war St. Louis (not Belgium in other words) Super on GB for $610 with 3 days left. All the others are more. FWIW

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks.. Good info.. I thought the solid rib would be of more value!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Where else are you going to get a hand-fitted shotgun for that money? I would put serious money on your being able to shoot that gun a bunch and never have to do a bit of work on it.

I'm biased, owning three Superposed (a 12 gauge Lightning Trap 32 inch, a 20 gauge Grade I 28 inch and a 20 gauge Pigeon Grade 28 inch). I bought them all used and have shot the living daylights out of them. Only problem I ever had was that the rib on the Grade I came loose at the breech end. Art's fixed it for me for not a lot. Hasn't hiccupped since.

Look at the fit and finish on that gun and compare it to some of the stuff from Turkey for the same money. You'll have no trouble justifying choosing it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy it... you can always sell it for more if you don't like it. I have a box full of them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Thanks.. Good info.. I thought the solid rib would be of more value!!

Vent rib has higher price in the market. Solid rib has more value, to me. We are shooters, not dealers. We don't have to care what the market thinks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What LGS is this Super at? I’ll go have a look at it for you. I have many Belgium made Supers, you won’t find a better O/U shotgun.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
FWIW, all Browning Superposed guns were made in Belgium. The St. Louis address was the US corporate address. Browning never produced their own sporting arms, and still don’t; they license other companies to manufacture Browning guns.

Last edited by GF1; 06/12/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy it.
There is nothing at all like shooting a Superposed.
I've preached for the last 15+years that a 12 Gauge Superposed was way under valued.
They're finally coming up in price. And worth it and then some!
Good Luck
You will not be disappointed,
Ed
Careful.........They're addicting!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Overleft pork ribs, good!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GF1
FWIW, all Browning Superposed guns were made in Belgium. The St. Louis address was the US corporate address. Browning never produced their own sporting arms, and still don’t; they license other companies to manufacture Browning guns.

Thanks. I was thinking of the A5s, some of which were made in the US during WWII.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Originally Posted by GF1

Thanks. I was thinking of the A5s, some of which were made in the US during WWII.

By Remington I believe.
Nowhere near the quality, fit, and finish as the Belgium made A5s!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I know this is hard to do, but we have some knowledge folks here, and I saw an older Browning at the LGS.. It has 30 " barrels with a solid rib. I would say the stock has been shortened as it fits me perfectly... It has been shot it opens easily and closes tightly.. The opening lever is about the center of the tang... It fits so nice is what attracts me... It is $699 I believe.. Less than 700.. I might get it for a bit less, the owner was out... What is the verdict.. It isn;t beat, but it has been use.. Blue was good, not white showing that I remember and no cracks or deep scratches in the stock.. I can get pics, if someone will post.. Just wanted to know about the price, ball park or not..

Go for it...one thing to look out for is rust where the wood meets the metal. Not to common but what is referred to as salt guns are out there.

I've saw one O/Ur and one Brownibg bolt action from the 1960s that had salt wood.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
EZ check for salt wood: pull one butt plate screw. If the screw is rusty, the wood was salt cured and there is rust everywhere the wood touches steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll bet salt isnt a concern on this one.
With a solid rib, I'll bet it was made decades before the mid/late 60s salt problems.......

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
It was built in 1952!!

Molon Labe
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Originally Posted by GF1

The Model 11 Remington, a cheaper version of the A5, was made in the U.S. under license from Browning, as was a Savage version. I’ve never seen nor heard of any A5 (or other Browning sporting gun) made in the U.S. with a Browning trademark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.