Print Thread
Hop To
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It's been an education to move to the humid South after living in the dry Colorado air for soo long.
I have a bunch of squares, protractors, rules, tools and all my reloading gear that was getting attacked by humidity in my shop.

Evaporust to the rescue!
This stuff is non toxic, non acid based, safe for hands, reusable and it works!
Submerge overnight and maybe a little scrub with a plastic kitchen scouring pad. A water rinse and you're done.

I'll be more focused on keeping things lubed to avoid rust and adding more vents to my shop but I'm happy to have a non toxic way to strip the rust off my tools when necessary.

$30 a gallon at Harbor Freight, Made in USA.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I agree! Humidity, creating rust, will ruin everything you have! Then a thin coat of oil!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It’s good stuff!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I use it, depending on the application. It's enviro friendly like you stated, and it does work at a slower pace than some other products, that might not be as enviro friendly. So for me it depends on the application!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
F
F
Originally Posted by Godogs57
It’s good stuff!

Do you have others to recommend? For what applications?
I'm new to this.
Thx

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got some wonder if you could spray rust spots on PU undercarriage shipped free with Amazon to Alaska

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by FathersSon
Originally Posted by Godogs57
It’s good stuff!

Do you have others to recommend? For what applications?
I'm new to this.
Thx

Well, again depending on what your doing and the application, and how bad it is!
Lets see;

If it's not too bad, and your gonna paint it.
For example;
I restored a truck, and an old tractor! They were rode hard and put away wet, so to speak.
If I have too, I'll blast it with Air, and sandblast or various media's, as required, depending on the Rust, Corrosion, Situation, and what type of material, that I'm working with!

If it's serious heavy duty steel, with heavy Rust, I'll even use straight, direct, Hydrochloride, Acid, but you have to be Extremely, Careful, with using the right PPE, Equipment,
Especially not breathing it, not Splashing it, around, etc..............
Immediately, after words, the steel needs to be completely washes with water, and neutralized with the proper alkali, dried, and primed with the proper primer, and readied to paint,etc............

If it's just a light coat of surface rust, ill gently apply some WD-40, PB Blaster!
Again it really depends on the Project, and what were talking about here!

Common Sense really needs to apply to this Topic!!!

Everyday humidity, is the Enemy!

All my Tools get a wipe down, occasionally!

All my Firearms, Also!!!
There's many products out there!
Do your research, and Don't believe the hype, and Commercially advertised, B.S.!!!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
H
Evaporust is one of my most favorite things on this earth. I clean a lot of tools and it has saved me so much time and literal back pain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I better see if they ship to Alaska.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use Penetrol on a lot of tools/metal that is subject to rust. I know it is advertised as an additive to paint which I have done but I also have just apply directly. I painted a metal trailer with a metal paint and after drying applied a coat of Penetrol and no rust on it after several years. Once it drys it is very durable and and stands up to heavy use and rust does not attack it. Keep a can around for nuts/bolts that are subject to rust and it works great in preventing rust.

O.B.Wallace
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blueboy
I use Penetrol on a lot of tools/metal that is subject to rust. I know it is advertised as an additive to paint which I have done but I also have just apply directly. I painted a metal trailer with a metal paint and after drying applied a coat of Penetrol and no rust on it after several years. Once it drys it is very durable and and stands up to heavy use and rust does not attack it. Keep a can around for nuts/bolts that are subject to rust and it works great in preventing rust.

The same way I do it...I just respray the trailer every few years with Penetrol. It is also useful on wood.

As for tools...this next week or so I am going to wander down to a river bend and get a bucket or two of fine sand, I shall dump it in a cut-off stainless beer keg with some oil so that every time I store my bladed tools (shovels etc) in it they will be cleaned and oiled for the next time.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.