-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
She is safe and sound, all that matters. Injuries sustained from "bushwhacking' after running into bears and after leaving the trail to get away from them it got late and she was probably exhausted, she built a fire and spent a lonely night there and walked out today.

I worked with her for a few years and she used to walk down our road. Nice lady and not a lazy bone in her body. I'm thinking since there was no mention of a moose kill being found on or near the trail, there may have been a boar or two in there chasing sows.

All that matters is she is safe!

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the link:

"Kiefer’s injuries when she was found were not due to any encounter with a bear"

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep great news she is ok ! >>just 1 question just curious does she carry a side arm ? or just pepper spray ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
yep great news she is ok ! >>just 1 question just curious does she carry a side arm ? or just pepper spray ?
Report says she was carrying pepper spray and she expended it when one of the bears got too close, no report of her carrying any kind of firearm.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by pete53
Report says she was carrying pepper spray and she expended it when one of the bears got too close, no report of her carrying any kind of firearm.

Another report said she did not have any firearm. I am surprised she have fire starting tool of some type,

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good deal. Sounds like she did everything right after losing the trail.

Sounds like the bear spray maybe did work, until she ran out. Time to go double barrel? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I worked for years at GNG in the off season. And advised those who avoid firearms because of the weight, but they are serious hikers/wilderness explorers to consider the 12.5 oz. .357 mag. actually weighs less then the bear spray, and is reloadable. I have about seven hand canons, but often just have my S&W Model 60 3" .357 Mag. just because it is small and near indestructible, and if I miss he bear, and the sound does not scare the poop out of him, the five feet of belch'fire flame should.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Update:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - Palmer resident Fina Kiefer was resting comfortably Thursday afternoon in her home, a day after she emerged from the woods after getting lost on a hike on the Pioneer Ridge Trail that sparked a massive search effort. She and her husband, Steve Kiefer, were able to share more details about what happened.

“It really makes you aware of what you have,” Fina Kiefer told Alaska’s News Source on Thursday. “I was fighting to see my family again. I was fighting to see my husband and my daughter and my son.”

Although Fina Kiefer, 55, had never been on the trail that leads to Pioneer Peak, Steve Kiefer said his wife is an avid hiker who did the Lazy Mountain Trail “every other day.”

A multi-agency search began on Tuesday for Fina Kiefer after her husband got a message from her requesting help, and saying she had been charged by bears. Volunteers and professional search and rescue teams scoured the trail and surrounding area for her throughout Tuesday and Wednesday, from the ground and air.

Just when the search had been suspended for the night on Wednesday due to deteriorating weather, a volunteer spotted Fina Kiefer coming out of the woods about a mile from the trailhead.
Multiple entities are conducting a search and rescue operation for a hiker in the...
Multiple entities are conducting a search and rescue operation for a hiker in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough after she reported encountering bears along the trail early Tuesday morning.(KTUU)

She left their home Monday about 2 p.m. but Steve Kiefer said he imagined she didn’t start her hike until about 4 p.m. He said he was in contact with Fina several times throughout the evening by cell phone and she assured him she was fine, although the trail was taking longer than anticipated. He said she checked in again at 11 p.m.

Then, at 1 a.m. Tuesday, he received a text saying she’d been charged by two bears and only had half a can of bear spray left.

Steve Kiefer called 911 when he couldn’t get back in touch with Fina. He said it was frightening not knowing what she was experiencing and not being able to communicate. Later, she told him she’d hiked back up the mountain to avoid the bears and had gotten lost off trail. Her cell phone had stopped working.

Fina told her husband she could see helicopters searching for her during the two-day ordeal, but they were never able to spot her in the dense brush. She spent the night in the woods, lighting a fire with water-proof matches she carried and continued to walk down.

Fina Kiefer described making it back down off the mountain and finding herself in someone’s yard.

“And I could have kissed their lawn,” she said.

She said she rang the doorbell of the home, but no one was there. That’s when she went out to the road.

“Four vehicles passed me,” she said. “And I knew I had to get back to the ... parking lot because my vehicle was there, and I could get all my wet clothes off and get in my vehicle and get warm.”

That’s when volunteer searcher Stephen Dunphy found her around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, and took her back to the search basecamp.

Steve Kiefer said his wife was taken to the Mat-Su Regional Medical Center but released that evening. He was thrilled to have her back at home surrounded by several family members who had flown in from out of state as the ordeal was unfolding. Steve Kiefer said he was amazed at the response to help find her and grateful to everyone who participated in the search.

Fina Kiefer did make it to the top of the Pioneer Peak trail, which had been her goal. But she said it first dawned on her she was in trouble when she realized she had started on the trail too late in the day. It was getting late and she left the trail in an attempt to get back to the parking lot faster.

“I didn’t realize how vigorous the trail was until I was actually on the trail,” she said. “And the second mistake I made was not staying of the trail, trying to go on my own — making my own trail down. And by the time I realized I wasn’t going to make it to the trailhead, the parking lot, my battery of my cell phone was dwindling.”

Fina Kiefer described encountering what she initially thought were moose as she tried to make her way down off the mountain, while she was in a valley.

“Once he turned his head, and we both looked at each other, I knew it was a bear,” she said. “We both looked at each other, and then at that very moment I had to make a decision.

“At that moment I thought, ‘is this the way I’m going to die, God?’” she continued. “He’s charging me and he’s going (from) 50 yards to 25, and I have to turn around, and I stood my ground, grabbed my bear spray and then ... I had to look at him while he’s charging at me. By the time he came about me, about 25 feet, that’s when I said ... I yelled ‘Hey!’ And then I spayed and then he stopped.”

She said the bear hesitated, looking at her. She deployed her bear spray again and yelled at the bear to go. The bear turned around and ran away, along with a second bear that was nearby.

Fina Kiefer said the bears were blocking her way back to the main trail. She climbed back out of the valley, and sent the text to her husband saying she had been charged by bears. It’s the only text he could receive from her before her phone died, and that’s when he alerted the Alaska State Troopers.

She described hearing and seeing the helicopters searching for her on Tuesday, but said they couldn’t see her through the thick brush. While she waited and worked to get off the mountain, she said she ate cranberries and snow.

She found a creek to use as a water source.

At one point while making her way through the brush, Fina Kiefer described falling and hitting her head. As darkness came on Tuesday, she found a place to build a fire with her water-proof matches. She slept on and off through that night.

She described watching the searching helicopters continue to pass her location, even while she had a fire lit.

“I was praying a lot,” Fina Kiefer said.

By Wednesday, she said it was clear the searchers couldn’t see her from the air. With the weather turning, she knew she had to get off the mountain.

She could hear the dogs that were part of one of the search groups, but the people looking couldn’t hear her.

Fina Kiefer said she followed a creek down off the mountain, which led her to the home and the backyard.

She said she thanks the Lord for giving her the ability to make it back alive. She also thanked the first responders and all the people who prayed for her.

“It makes me be so happy that I’m able to hug them again,” she said of her family. “Because nothing else matters if you don’t have that.”

As someone who hiked part of that trail, I can tell you that it's no joke. It's basically a 45 degree jungle hike up to the top of the treeline. There's not many places to bail off, and the terrain/fauna is VERY difficult, even for someone who hikes a lot in the mountains. Reminds me that I need to add gyrojet pencil flares to my hiking day pack.

Edited again:
I used to fly SAR for the AK AR Guard UH-60's. I've been on dozens of SAR's and medevacs. The FLIR is NOT very helpful for stuff like this. It can't see through foliage, and requires a dedicated set of eyeballs to watch it, and steer it. Given the low altitude and speed, the picture is usually too messed up to see a person who is not in the open.

On the tundra, it's great... in a valley in the trees, not so much.

Last edited by LoadClear; 06/17/21.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A fire - if possible - would have been helpful to the copter searchers.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love happy endings

My wife uses bear spray for walks on the farmers loop bike path w her dog.

In the woods her bear spray is housed in a glock 29 in a chest holster

If I’m w her it’s housed in a 45/70 guide gun. F a bunch of handguns I’ve carried a rifle for many years

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by las

She built a fire using the "waterproof" matches she had in her "survival" gear. The bottom line is she was better prepared, better experienced, and better skilled, and in better physical condition, then nearly all of the computer experts including this forum.

Last edited by AGL4now; 06/18/21.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's pretty bad ass that she hikes Lazy 3-4 times a week, but I still don't understand someone deciding to tackle Pioneer and starting off at 4:00pm. That's a solid 10 hour hike, maybe a little less if your in really good shape, and coming back down through the woods in the middle of the night, in a fairly heavily populated bear area, is probably not a very good idea. I'm glad it all turned out good for her.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by las

She built a fire using the "waterproof" matches she had in her "survival" gear. The bottom line is she was better prepared, better experienced, and better skilled, and in better physical condition, then nearly all of the computer experts including this forum.

I doubt that.

She made some questionable decisions.

I never have. Just really stupid ones at times! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I worked for years at GNG in the off season. And advised those who avoid firearms because of the weight, but they are serious hikers/wilderness explorers to consider the 12.5 oz. .357 mag. actually weighs less then the bear spray, and is reloadable. I have about seven hand canons, but often just have my S&W Model 60 3" .357 Mag. just because it is small and near indestructible, and if I miss he bear, and the sound does not scare the poop out of him, the five feet of belch'fire flame should.

I've got one of those 3" Model 60's and a 2.5" Model 19... Just this year I got some of Buffalo Bore's 180 grain rompin' stompin' 357 ammo... Oh my goodness!

It's accurate, no doubt, but my goodness that stuff has a bark and a lot of recoil from those fairly light/compact revolvers. Still, I carry that ammo when hiking or fishing in bear country.

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cascade

I've got one of those 3" Model 60's and a 2.5" Model 19... Just this year I got some of Buffalo Bore's 180 grain rompin' stompin' 357 ammo... Oh my goodness!

It's accurate, no doubt, but my goodness that stuff has a bark and a lot of recoil from those fairly light/compact revolvers. Still, I carry that ammo when hiking or fishing in bear country.

Guy

It hurts on both ends!

Just like BB 305 gr @ 1325 FPS in a .44.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Thanks, but I'll keep packing around my Dad's '94. I like it better than the Python.

What about when I'm fishing? A gill net leaves both hands free...... smile

Last edited by las; 06/19/21.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is an older video but bear Spray doesn't always work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A long-time very good friend of the lady added some details... she is Alaska Native and a tough, very smart woman.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
One thing that is "Telling" is that on many outdoor hunting forums...."Bad'ass" Rugged Outdoorsmen, are asking, "Why in the hell would anyone be hiking "alone" at 1:AM on an Alaska Trail. hmmm

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One thing that is "Telling" is that on many outdoor hunting forums...."Bad'ass" Rugged Outdoorsmen, are asking, "Why in the hell would anyone be hiking "alone" at 1:AM on an Alaska Trail. hmmm

What does that “tell”?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.