A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AGL4now
One thing that is "Telling" is that on many outdoor hunting forums...."Bad'ass" Rugged Outdoorsmen, are asking, "Why in the hell would anyone be hiking "alone" at 1:AM on an Alaska Trail. hmmm

What does that “tell”?

Tells me that "SOME" who pretend to be Bad'ass super rugged Outdoorsmen......are likely scared of the dark. Especially "Alone" on a mountain in the dark. My point was.....should there be any un-clarity.........that many are quick to judge and armchair quarter back the miss-adventures of others quickly into a thread, before learning that she likely has far more wilderness skills and experience then they fantasize they possess.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I expected the worst.

NRA Patron
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dale06
I expected the worst.

Sadly......many Alaskans carry little or zero "survival gear". This is especially true on "Day-hikes".

Last edited by AGL4now; 06/20/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
maybe some including myself may have learned a little from what has been posted ? none of us are perfect , from my past experiences with grizzly and black bears is i always carry a sidearm now ,i leave the bear spray in the truck unless i need it for paper work.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned to always take a gun with you for protection.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And once again someone is finding the limits of bear spray.

^^ This ^^ one time in Wyoming N.W. corner of Yellowstone Park up in the mountains: Warden told me if you end up killin a bear make sure you spray that bear in the face before i get there ,paper work is easier to fill out then. i smiled and said : ok thank you

I like that one 😂

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear spray...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that is "Telling" is that on many outdoor hunting forums...."Bad'ass" Rugged Outdoorsmen, are asking, "Why in the hell would anyone be hiking "alone" at 1:AM on an Alaska Trail. hmmm

What does that “tell”?

Tells me that "SOME" who pretend to be Bad'ass super rugged Outdoorsmen......are likely scared of the dark. Especially "Alone" on a mountain in the dark. My point was.....should there be any un-clarity.........that many are quick to judge and armchair quarter back the miss-adventures of others quickly into a thread, before learning that she likely has far more wilderness skills and experience then they fantasize they possess.

You are assuming quite a bit RE: the story.

No mention of "day-hike."

No mention of actually being "on the trail" at 1:00A.

Having your camp raided at night, because you left food out, could happen to any hunter/outdoorsman ignorant/stupid enough to do so.

Relyin' only on bear spray is also telling.

GR

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Garandimal

What does that “tell”?

You are assuming quite a bit RE: the story.

No mention of "day-hike."
Yes there was
No mention of actually being "on the trail" at 1:00A. The article clearly explains where she was at what time and why

Having your camp raided at night, because you left food out, could happen to any hunter/outdoorsman ignorant/stupid enough to do so. Camp? Food? what article were you reading?

Relyin' only on bear spray is also telling.

GR

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Next day.

Update 6/16 1805: At approximately 1730 hours, the Alaska State Troopers were notified by a volunteer SAR member departing the search area that Fina Kiefer walked out of the woods as they were driving by on Knik River Road, about a mile from the trailhead. Kiefer has injuries and EMS is transporting her to a Mat-Su area hospital for evaluation.

Thanks for the drama of a 55 year old woman hikin' in bear country, at night, armed only w/ bear spray (and possibly hot flashes).

GR

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.