Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I remember 30 years ago my father tried to pay a hotel bill in cash and they gave him a hard time about it then. He got his first and only credit card not long after that.

That’s in case Ian St.Ian comes to your hotel room to party and sets the curtains on fire or tosses the philco out into the parking lot

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I try to avoid the self check places. Makes sense that they would want to go cashless. No need to empty the machine, no risk of good counterfits getting through, and for all I know they've invested in the card reader companies and make something off each purchase at 4% or whatever the rate is now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Is this Marxism from the top down?

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Are grocery stores, or any stores, in your area doing this same thing?
Not yet..

Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I remember 30 years ago my father tried to pay a hotel bill in cash and they gave him a hard time about it then. He got his first and only credit card not long after that.
You can pay in cash, BUT you will be required to have a valid CC number(s) left with them in case there's any theft and/or damage to the room etc.. Been that way for many, many years now..

Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I've heard that the Wally World here recently went self checkout only.
Local grocery store removed two of their four checkout lanes and installed four self-checkout lanes to better utilize that space.. They always have one staffer handy to help those who have troubles with those and also to wipe them down after each use.. Even as tech-lacking as I am, I got used to those fairly quickly and use them 90% of the time..

Originally Posted by EdM
Why use cash?
Why not?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Love the self checkout

Don’t have to worry about my ice cream melting while some fuggin nubian buffalo is off-loading her monthly EBT stipend onto the conveyor

I can be in/out and bounce nicca!!

And NOW...our Dollar General has a one-holer self checkout. Sweeeet!!!
Don’t have to stand be smelly piss soaked Cat Lady or the goddamm marlboro man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few bad checks ought to cure that...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Growing up my sister worked as a cashier at a local grocery store. At the end of every shift the manager would have to review the $ that "should" be in the register with the $ that "was" in the register for every cashier before they could change to the next cashier. My sister said it was always a circus...right in the middle of counting someone would need the manager's help, or a phone call, etc....then they would have to start over with the counting. Any miscount and they'd have to start again to make sure the miscount was a true miscount.

Credit cards are easy for a business.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Love the self checkout

Don’t have to worry about my ice cream melting while some fuggin nubian buffalo is off-loading her monthly EBT stipend onto the conveyor

You're not a big help around here some days you know.

Supporting a commie agenda and all that.

CASH................it's the American way..................especially when paid to an honest to goodness Worker, not a machine!

Get with the program fella. If you're worried about you Blue Bunny......................reach to the back of the freezer case and get one that's frozen hard. Less chance of one having been licked that way too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Growing up my sister worked as a cashier at a local grocery store. At the end of every shift the manager would have to review the $ that "should" be in the register with the $ that "was" in the register for every cashier before they could change to the next cashier. My sister said it was always a circus...right in the middle of counting someone would need the manager's help, or a phone call, etc....then they would have to start over with the counting. Any miscount and they'd have to start again to make sure the miscount was a true miscount.

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable. Odds are they're not, as a better bottom line is good for business too.

And, while cars are easy for a business, I personally prefer not having my every purchase traceable. By anyone.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having owned my own retail business for several decades I like cash and credit/debit cards for the simple reason I don't have to waste time and gas driving to the bank to deposit them. There is the idea, that if there is no cash in the business and people know it there will no armed robberies..

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
And George Floyd would still be alive if he didnt try using

" cash "......

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I've heard that the Wally World here recently went self checkout only.

We went to our local Walmart the other day. It was busier than all get out and no one was manning the checkout but one person. Wife asked him what the deal was. He was the manager and said he had only 8 people in the entire store including himself. He said no one wants to work. He said Walmart had been testing self checkout only but it hasn’t been going well and they prob won’t go down that road. He also mentioned that they were going to advertise a high starting wage June 19, the day unemployment benefits run out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Bible prophecy is quickly being fulfilled once again.

The powers that shouldn't be want a block chain system with their personal control connected to the verification mark that bill gates is invested in at the sell of Microsoft.
OMG !! Knock off the ARMAGEDDON bible chit already..Ya the world is coming to an end no chit Sherlock been happening it for quite some time.I pay cash when I buy stuff if they don't take cash pi$$ on them.Only use a CC when I absolutely have to..

crazy

Last edited by coobie; 06/16/21.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I use cash almost exclusively. The places that say they can’t make change are always lying. They’ll take cash.

There are exceptions (storage lots, tow companies, etc.)

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable.
They really have no choice - percentages charged for CC use can be anywhere from 3-7%..

When I was in the car biz, and the prices began to get really high, some customers wanted to pay for the whole car with a CC... Dealers finally had to limit CC down payments to a maximum of (where I worked) $1500.. Problem is, the sales people at times did not ask the customer how he was gonna pay for the car.. I had one guy in with his kid - bought a Buick Park Avenue and (I'm sure to impress his son) handed me an AMEX card to pay the roughly 25 grand for the total.. I had to tell him that the most I could accept was $1500.. He wasn't happy, needless to say. Probably tied to a few million flyer miles.. I brought the sales manager in to also explain to the guy that there simply was not anywhere near enough profit in the sale to take the CC hit.. The guy said that the BMW dealer where he bought the last car had no trouble with that. We gently informed him that it should be a clue as to what he REALLY paid for that car.. laugh laugh

He walked out - and the sales manager had a leeeetle talk with the sales people that day..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Is this Marxism from the top down?

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Are grocery stores, or any stores, in your area doing this same thing?

I think there might be an engineered change shortage with the idea being to discourage the use of cash.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have grocery stores called winco that only take cash or debit cards. They won't take credit cards.

There's a restaurant in Idaho Falls that will only take cash. No credit cards at all. It's a sit down place that's fairly expensive too. My brother said it's because the owners are far left democrats that are too cheap to pay 3% card processor fees. I said to him if they're far left its so they can only report part of their income and cheat on their taxes.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable.
They really have no choice - percentages charged for CC use can be anywhere from 3-7%..

When I was in the car biz, and the prices began to get really high, some customers wanted to pay for the whole car with a CC... Dealers finally had to limit CC down payments to a maximum of (where I worked) $1500.. Problem is, the sales people at times did not ask the customer how he was gonna pay for the car.. I had one guy in with his kid - bought a Buick Park Avenue and (I'm sure to impress his son) handed me an AMEX card to pay the roughly 25 grand for the total.. I had to tell him that the most I could accept was $1500.. He wasn't happy, needless to say. Probably tied to a few million flyer miles.. I brought the sales manager in to also explain to the guy that there simply was not anywhere near enough profit in the sale to take the CC hit.. The guy said that the BMW dealer where he bought the last car had no trouble with that. We gently informed him that it should be a clue as to what he REALLY paid for that car.. laugh laugh

He walked out - and the sales manager had a leeeetle talk with the sales people that day..

Yep.

Another way to look at it............................

Your dealership wasn't charging enough!

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love the self checkout

Make sure you get your employee discount while you are doing their job…. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
California doesn't worry about money or cards as long as it is below I think $950.00 you can just walk out of the store with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RHutch
Love the self checkout

Make sure you get your employee discount while you are doing their job…. wink

The best customer service any retailer can offer me is get the fugg away from me, I already know what i’m looking for and usually know more about the product than they do.

The only exception would be if I needed a cabinet or glass case unlocked

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.