Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I can't imagine having to buy fuel with cash. I don't care to go into most convenience stores and I hate to leave my vehicle unattended outside of one.

When I was growing up, most paid cash for gas, but here's how it went. You drove up to the pump. The man in a uniform came to your window and asked what you'd like. He fills up your tank with what you asked for, checks your oil and cleans your windshields while it's pumping, then tells you the amount. You hand him cash, and he takes a wad of bills out of his pocket and gives you change from it, and clicks out the coins needed from a device on his belt, then wishes you a good day. Typically, you'd give him a tip at this point, then drive off.

You forgot the part about where, after clicking out the correct amount in coins, he (genuflection inserted at this point) counted back your change.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I've heard that the Wally World here recently went self checkout only.

Big blue hair kryptonite........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by callnum
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a confused boomer in the left driving lane, a self checkout, a four way stop or a round a about.

Or getting a millennial/Z at the register who can't count change.

Most likely scenario. Doubt seriously if Callnumbnutts can count or drive.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a confused boomer in the left driving lane, a self checkout, a four way stop or a round a about.

Chiln is the bald fugg in the rusted out Ford that just sits at a 4 way trying to figure out who’s turn it is. LOL

Triggered boomer! LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The_Real_Hawkeye:

You hand him cash, and he takes a wad of bills out of his pocket and gives you change from it, and clicks out the coins needed from a device on his belt, then wishes you a good day. Typically, you'd give him a tip at this point, then drive off.

Yes, that was the way it was. Worked a station as kid. At the end of a busy shift, I'd go in and drop maybe 7 or $800 bucks in the till and head home.

The local station I frequent still works that way doing windshields and all. Lots of letters on the wall from travelers commenting on the mom and pop atmosphere. Other stations, however, in our travels want $100 out my wallet before pumping and will then dispense the change.

At to groceries, I've used sell checkout twice and ended up delayed and pissed off both times.

I really like cash and use the pickup line of "I'm not really this tall. I'm just sitting on my wallet."

Last edited by 1minute; 06/16/21.

1Minute
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
For ten or fifteen years now, the only thing I carry cash in my wallet for is for giving the kids money or betting on cockfights. The kids now have debit cards and I was reminded today that it's been exactly a year since I put any cash in my wallet or took any out.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If we all just carried around pouches of gold dust and the merchants had scales on the counter, all of our country's economic woes would be solved.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Is this Marxism from the top down?

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Are grocery stores, or any stores, in your area doing this same thing?

If you pay in cash, walmarts around here are rounding the change up in the customers favor and just giving you bills.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Chiln is the bald fugg in the rusted out Ford that just sits at a 4 way trying to figure out who’s turn it is. LOL

Triggered boomer! LOL

I’d have no trouble whatsoever running over a Commie POS DemoRat like your little sorry ass.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Most churches still will accept cash, or personal check.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never been in a place that turned down cash.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 06/16/21.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
Is this Marxism from the top down?

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Are grocery stores, or any stores, in your area doing this same thing?

“Marxism from the top down,” wut?

Did revolutionaries confiscate the grocery store’s coinage? I hate it when that happens…

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS. Get the total from the scan, count out exact change...and walk with the merchandise. Schidt will hit the fan...let's see where it lands. Bring it on Assistant Manager, let's see how it plays out. Already banned from Facebook, not too worried about a grocery store.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

For those that don't trust/want it on line, do you get direct deposit? That's online. This has been coming and most likely will happen, not for another 20+ years, but it will SLOWLY get harder to use cash.

CC/Debit cards give advantages as well. You can, for example, get that gas tank fill up at 3AM when the gas station is closed. You don't have to go to the bank to get your money.

It's coming, the ability to be cash-less is pretty much here. Heck even small places can get a dongle that can run credit/debit cards.

Cash is expensive to maintain, track, make, collect and dispose of and bills have a relatively short life span.

all true (well, direct deposit runs typically through ACH, which is not "online" in the sense you use it). There is a time and a place for cards at 3 am at a gas station.... but there are just as many disadvantages.

There is a reason China and Europe are moving very fast into the direction of a cashless society. It's much easier to monitor (i.e. tax) the flow of money (the prime motivator in Europe) and it is much easier to monitor people (the prime motivator in China).

All that should give one pause. However, the real concern to the consumer in the move away from cash is that it changes the spending behavior of the individual. Spending becomes more impulsive, quicker, and the purchases become larger. That is not in the individual's best interest, but it IS good for the merchants and the creditors. If you doubt that, just go :swipe free" for a month or two. Even if you still buy your gas on a debit card, you will find that you make your purchases with more deliberation and consideration if you have to count out the 20's or 100's.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Are they still giving that "short of change" BS?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS. Get the total from the scan, count out exact change...and walk with the merchandise. Schidt will hit the fan...let's see where it lands. Bring it on Assistant Manager, let's see how it plays out. Already banned from Facebook, not too worried about a grocery store.
I don't think that means they have to accept paper money, but they do have to accept payment in U.S. money and that may be in the form they prescribe. As in check, debit card, credit card, whatever. Probably cannot force you to pay in gold or turnip greens or some other form of value.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I do use a credit card a lot, but I have to order so much stuff online that I simply cannot find any other way. If it is in-person, though, it is cash. On very rare occasion, I have used a card when I found that I didn't bring enough cash with me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Most churches still will accept cash, or personal check.

What a shock.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS.

A store doesn't have to accept cash, they have every right to limit purchases to credit cards or buffalo chips if they want. The old "legal tender etc." stuff has been tried and shot down every time. A debt doesn't exist until a merchant agrees to the sale and if they state "credit cards only" then no sale takes place, hence no debt.

It don't work, sorry.

Nice try, thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like dealing in cash when buying things we can't write off. Being self-employed has few benefits until it comes to paying taxes.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.