-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad someone brought this thread back up. I had my first rifle built on a Springfield action in the 1960's. It changed several times over the years and was eventually sold. That was a big mistake, but I was hooked on rebuilt military rifles. I only messed up a couple though. I always tried to find one that was way down hill from collectable.

While I never really cared one way or the other for a G33/40, I have always liked the Mexican 1936. I think it is the best looking of all Mauser rifles and have had my eye out for a good one for years. I found it some years ago as a poorly done, halfway put together sporter. As Muledeer said, used ones are out there that someone else has taken the big bite on and if you are careful they can be very reasonable to re build. This one had a nice piece of wood that was shaped all wrong, the action metal was nice but the bore looked like the inside of an old chimney. Exactly what I was looking for. It made into the rifle I have wanted for years. I had it re barreled in 7mm Mauser and had the stock re shaped. The metal was cleaned up and cerakoted (for now). The action is slick as a ribbon and feeds the 7mm very smoothly. I'm still tossing around getting the checkering done on it or just leaving the wood as is. I might get a nice wraparound pattern on just the grip area.

One thing about this thread is that the topic is great, but there just aren't enough pictures....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nice walnut!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Very nice stick.

Last edited by RinB; 06/15/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by hanco
Good to see BobInNH posting again!

That post was in 2012

No kidding, I miss his posts, talked to him on the phone a couple of times before cancer got him.

Last edited by hanco; 06/15/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Is this not the action that is used on Phil Shoemakers 505 GIBBS ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Personally I agree with the Mauser action needs to be in a nice piece of walnut crowd. Nothing against synthetic/fiberglass stocks. I have two customs built; both in 35 Whelen. Both will shoot under MOA. The one I had built was based on a Win70 action. Schneider heavy barrel and McMillan stock. The other I inherited. 1909 Argentine action in a nice walnut stock. Cost about the same total to build by the same 'smith but at least 10yrs apart. I built mine as a target rifle; yeah I'm loony like that but I like the cartridge. The other was built for hunting. Absolutely perfect for that. Reasonably light and comes to the shoulder perfectly. Push comes to shove I know which one would head out the door. The other would be the last one to ever leave. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think right now is a great time to be looking for a good 98 action already in a walnut stock. That doesn't seem to be what the new generation is looking for and the "old pharts" (I'm getting there, but I'm not there quite yet!) that built them in the early 60's and 70's are turning them loose. Or their estate is turning them loose. I've seen several in the last few months on the internet that were worth a second look and I'm watching a couple of them right now. A couple of the ones I saw were the G33/40 actions that a nice custom had been built on. Couldn't build a new one for what it would take to buy one of them. Just have to study the pictures and know what you are looking at. Many of the sellers really don't know what they have.

Harry
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My gun smith doesn't gouge me for that. He bends the bolt, removes the rear sight, installs a stronger firing pin spring, adds a Timney Trigger and a 3 position safety. nd screws in \the barrel of my choice and head spaces it for about $600. if I supply the barrel and the action.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/16/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That's some of my favorite looking wood. I like the shade and tone

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 14 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.