24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My l4 year old lab died last year. We finally replaced her with another a couple of weeks ago. All training is going great. He has started chewing and possibly eating rocks. This is common in labs and my last lab was easy to break of the habit. It was just a few times with diligent attention to remove the rock from her mouth while telling her drop and then instructing her to "leave it" as she continued and she was done in a few days. This one is much more difficult. I am continuing the same methods; but, he persists. Does anybody have any suggestions? My yard is full of rocks and rock gardens. Yes, I know all the possible causes and reasons and possible ramifications. I'm not seeking input on that. I am seeking input on breaking the habit while not resorting to "I'm a tough guy corrective action" type stuff. I've found a couple of suggested spray-on-the-rocks home concoctions that I'm going to try around our yard. If you have any recipes or suggestions along that route, I am open to try them, assuming they are non-toxic of course. Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our last Lab pup liked small river rock type pebbles which we had plenty of in some areas of the yard and other than keeping him away from his favorite rock eating areas not much stopped him. Red pepper dusted over the rocks and some kind of mix spray worked until it wore off. He finally outgrew it and lived to be 12 years old

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a spray concoction of 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts apple cider vinegar. It works very well; but, I don't know how long it lasts. I'm testing it right now. He really does not like it. If it lasts a day I would be surprised. However, if it does, I'm going to mix up a large batch in a weed sprayer. I would think such harmless aversion therapy would be effective if it does last more than a couple of hours. Otherwise, I will have to look for something else.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No help. Had a yellow lab that decided eating some round river rocks was a good idea. He ate 2 and after passing them with a lot of associated howling, he stopped. Cat fur ball medicine helped him pass them. And no, I don't own cats.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
e collar

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nine times out of ten a lab is most likely to start this behavior. Nobody really knows why, but some say that a lab wants something in its mouth no matter what it is. Rocks are the easiest and the most available.
One person we know of broke the rock problem by scattering a large amount of toys around the yard. Gave the dog something more fun to chew on.

If you see it packing another rock, make him drop it but reward him by offering a toy to play with instead.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If the young dog has the energy to participate in stupid behavior, it is a work dog that isn't being worked enough. Shift focus from rocks to training. Don't expect much maturity from a large breed dog until they're about 2 yrs of age. It takes them a while to mature in the mind.

The lab needs to be trained 1 hard day, one day of rest. Supervised when out in your back yard. You may have to be stern for weeks or months, but correct the bad behavior every time. Some pups are hard headed. Obviously this one is more hard headed than your used to. I train pups non stop. One the the hardest headed working breeds: Alaskan Malamutes.

When the pups arent getting training, the bad behavior around here is digging holes that are 4-6 ft deep holes and getting tangled under roots.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My ECS used to grab a rock on his way through the landscaping, he did it so quickly and smoothly that you didn’t realize it until he started chewing on it. As far as I know, he never swallowed any, but he could have. It really just took a lot of diligence to keep him from getting any. It wasn’t too long and he stopped doing it. I think as was said above that they like to have something in their mouth. Good luck, Dave

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How well s your "leave it" training working. Just taking an object from a dog's mouth, and saying "leave it", is not training.

Look at some YouTube " leave it" training. The good ones use positive reinforcement to reward the desired behavior.

One video I watched had a puppy and trainer. The trainer had a small piece of "high value" treat in his hand ( small piece of cooked chicken). The trainer showed the pup the treat, then closed his hand on it ( hiding it). The pup wanted it, and sniffed his hand. The trainer gave the "leave it" command, and the pup kept after it. Once the pup showed a sign of looking away from the treat, he was rewarded with the treat.

Another and another treat was used, and each time after.the pup showed the behavior of leaving the treat, it got the treat ( positive reinforcement of the desired behavior). The training was repeated until the "leave it" command was understood and executed by the pup.

Just saying "leave it" and taking the object out of the dog's mouth is not training the dog to "leave it.". Check out the YouTube vids.

I have a 9 month old Brittany- English Setter mix I am trying to train. First pup in 30 years. I am using the similar technique I described. She is getting it, but has a way to go on many commands, ie healing, stay, ). There is progress being made.

Good luck.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

This

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Nine times out of ten a lab is most likely to start this behavior. Nobody really knows why, but some say that a lab wants something in its mouth no matter what it is. Rocks are the easiest and the most available.
One person we know of broke the rock problem by scattering a large amount of toys around the yard. Gave the dog something more fun to chew on.

If you see it packing another rock, make him drop it but reward him by offering a toy to play with instead.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not much help here.
the first dog I recall, lab/Chessie lived to carry! fetch rocks to the point her canines wete flat topped.
but she was good with kids, and clearly had a soft mouth...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
To answer a few people's questions. Things are going well. The spray concoction I mentioned above worked incredibly well for the around the house landscaping rocks. The constant attention and the "leave it" or "no" while removing followed by praise has continued to work. It hasn't ceased completely as this oral fixation is something normal to labs. At least it has been for all seven of mine. This guy just started off doing it more than I can remember any of mine in the past. Additionally, it seems this guy has more toys than my kids ever did. From day one we have had a constant supply available to him both in the yard and in the house. As to someone's training suggestion above, that has been on ongoing thing with him, regularly. Thanks for any and all input.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.