Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've fallen into a Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm.

My son had one for a few years and I was impressed.

I was just wondering what y'all used for magazines? Are there any worth avoiding?

What kind of optics worked for you?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have one of the first generation models, before they got all tactical looking. I just use oem 10 round mags in mine. There are apparently higher capacity mags out there but I've never tried any.

I mounted a scope on mine when I first got it but quickly realized a scope on a 9mm carbine was total overkill, and took it off. A red dot would probably be nice but the iron sights work just fine, for what it is.

It is a fun, cheap plinker. I like banging away at steel plates with mine. People turn up their noses at it until they actually shoot it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had a newer style about 4-5 years ago . Did buy a redball? Brand 20 round mag . Never had an issues fun enough to shoot. But a P.I.A. to clean

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I never bother cleaning mine. Lol

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have the newer tactical version in 45 acp, Model 9545 I believe. I use the factory 10 round mags at the range, and keep a couple of 20 round Redballs close by. I removed the iron sights, including the removeable top half of the 3 inch tall front blade, and removed the lower plastic pic rail. Then I installed a Vortex Sparc II RDS with the tall spacer on the top rail. Then I put on a new longer bolt handle from MCarbo and that's it. The Sparc II works great, gives me a 2MOA dot which covers 4 inches at 50 yards (I know, the math doesn't work, but that's what it looks like). I can fill that hole with 45's offhand at 50 yds. The factory manual says wipe out the bore every 300-500 rounds, and strip it for cleaning every 3000 or so. I stripped it a couple of times using a you tube video and it was not difficult, just time consuming. It is my favorite plinker at the range, and my go-to 20 to 75 yard defensive perimeter defender. As you can tell, I really like this weapon. Two bads--if you don't have a stash of 45 acp's then its going to be mighty expensive to plink. Two, I fired it for effect at 100 yards and those old 230 gr cannonballs drop about 14 inches and the group opens up to about a foot. Thus, my view of it as a 20 to 75 yard gun only. finally, dont buy the MCarbo trigger spring or recoil guide--they don't work and the recoil guide causes the bolt to crack. MCarbo has recognized the problem and will buy back the guide from you on request. Enjoy.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You will love it!!
Bought mine both for $150 new in the box at the same time....back when when they were not highly regarded.

I have 2 of them, the old style stocks, and they are my favorite 9mm carbine to shoot.

They make one hell of a good truck gun....especially for pigs at 100yds and under.

They eat everything I have put in them 95 grain to 150 grain loads.

They are accurate and will work very well, congratulations in getting one.

Shooting golf balls or tennis balls at 75 yards is easy.

I will never sell mine...they are that good.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 06/11/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Can't say anything about the 9...but the 45?
Never misfired
Never jammed
Never been cleaned
Hits 2-3" at 50
No recoil worth mentioning.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is interesting, their 9mms pistol is a jam-o-matic. Last one I saw was about 10 yrs ago, brand new & jammed every 2-3 rounds no matter what brand ammo. What makes these carbine so dependable, & what are they going for?

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
This is interesting, their 9mms pistol is a jam-o-matic. Last one I saw was about 10 yrs ago, brand new & jammed every 2-3 rounds no matter what brand ammo. What makes these carbine so dependable, & what are they going for?

Ive got a 9mm compact hipoint pistol. Goes bang every time and has for the last 20 years. Never a bobble. Standard pressure, +p, +p+. And you can beat someone to death with it.

Also a carbine for close to that. The ergos on the carbine stock are amazing. If it just was more rigid lol.

MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
the newer ones seem to be very reliable, and for the price you cant beat them. they even offer it in 10MM and 380ACP. I have often wondered why the Ruger pistol caliber carbines never caught on

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 10mm version might be fun. If going 9mm, I’d prefer the Keltec Folder over the Ho-Point. Smaller and more compact, and used Glock mags.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Worked on one for a deputy once.

It was a hoot to shoot and hit at a longer range than i thought it would.

Only thing i didn't like is he only left one mag.

When having shooting the 9mm you need more than one mag. grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's funny these ugly cheap guys
Seem to liked when they are played with

Who would have thunk it would happen that way

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I retrieved the carbine from the LGS last night.

It came with:
a forearm grip
3 10-round mags
the mag clip for the stock
a really nice plastic case

It did not come with an adjustment tool. I'll have to contact Hi-Point.

One of the reasons I picked this up is that my son had really good luck with his. I cooked up some 125 grain plinking loads using the Lee 358-125-RF mold, and I still have about 500 of them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 9mm carbine I bought new 6 years ago and it's great. Accurate enough at 50 yards and has never jammed, and I know for a fact I have shot over a case of tula through it with no issues. Cleaned it once after about 1,500 rounds. It might not be pretty but they're a good carbine and make a good truck gun

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
. . . so the one thing that was missing was the adjustment tool.

I called Hi-Point yesterday. The short of it is that they're mailing me one for free. The long story is that they've got a new phone system at the Mansfield, Ohio location and it took me at least a dozen attempts to get through.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.