Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15806611 02/18/21
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I was looking at my floating fly line today. I think the one on my reel is an old Mastery with a lot of miles on it. Seeing that time has left me by, what are considered excellent fly lines in this day and age? I think it is time to cash in some Cabelas points.

GB2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Interested to hear suggestions also. Due to replace a couple WF floating lines myself.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I just replaced two Wolff Triangle Tapers with two more of the same. Been using them for about thirty years now and still happy with them.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I fish both SA and RIo lines. Even Cortland, Airflo etc make good lines. Don’t buy the cheap one! Clean it occasionally and don’t step on it all the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer Rio.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the rod and what you want to do...

Rio Gold is a great all around taper, but it is also .5 line weight heavy. So a Gold 5 weight is really a 5.5 weight.

If you want a true-to-weight line for a softer rod, Rio Lightline or Scientific Anglers Trout taper are both fantastic.

I prefer Rio products but have some Scientific Anglers as well. Keep whatever line clean, free of chemicals and it'll last a good while.

Last edited by GuideGun; 02/20/21.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Should have specified that it will be used on a 6 wt. Helios rod (original series) which is fairly fast action, will probably get a weight forward line to better cast in the wind here in Montana and will be using it for both dries and nymphs, maybe once in a while a streamer. I have never had a Rio line, what do you like about them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Depends on the rod and what you want to do...

Rio Gold is a great all around taper, but it is also .5 line weight heavy. So a Gold 5 weight is really a 5.5 weight.

If you want a true-to-weight line for a softer rod, Rio Lightline or Scientific Anglers Trout taper are both fantastic.

I prefer Rio products but have some Scientific Anglers as well. Keep whatever line clean, free of chemicals and it'll last a good while.

+1.

Couldn't have said any of it better.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for RIO Gold.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If there is anyway to test the lines that is the best way to find out. If you don't have friends with the lines you want to try maybe a fly fishing club or some shops will let you test their shop lines.

The Helios is a fairly fast rod but for your application I would get a line that is close to the AFTMA weight. I would not buy a line if the first 30" weight is not given. All of the major line makers make good products SA, Rio, Cortland, Air Flo, Orvis (not sure who makes these?) and others. I look for lines on Sierra trading post or on close outs so I always have a back up for each set up.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Long time SA user, but I think I like Rio even better. I'm not sure I could put my finger on a specific reason and argue for it, just ... like the feel. (Maybe familiarity?) Cortland lines seem sticky to me even cleaned. Cabela's store brand lines are fairly decent.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I love the Rio Gold fly line taper but Rio lines are known for not being real durable, and the ones I have used have supported the not as durable reputation. Now that said Rio has introduced a new coating on their line recently that is suppose to be more durable and slicker. I have purchase one of these for my 4wt and will see how it goes.

I prefer Scientific Angler lines for their durability and the trout taper in the Amplitude Smooth line is perfect for all but the fastest of rods, with the Infinity taper best for super fast rods or for uses other than dry fly fishing, i.e. streamer nymphing etc. I do not like the textured Amplitude line but you may. I don't like the sound it makes going through the guides or that the rough finish picks up algae.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've received good recommendations on good lines. The problem is that it is difficult to try a variety of lines on your rod. One man's preference should not necessarily be yours. With your rod "A" in your hand, you will prefer one line over another. With your rod "A" in my hand, I may prefer a different line over the one you think is the best and may even think that your selection of best, when used by me, may be my suggestion as the worse for your particular rod. Yes, it is indeed that subjective. Choose a good quality line from Scientific Anglers, Cortland, Rio, Orvis, etc. and you will be good to go as to quality of lines. The same applies to fly rods. I'm sure you didn't know that your starter Scientific Anglers fly rod sucked until you were eventually able to cast that Helios. You've chosen a great hobby. Enjoy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I just replaced two Wolff Triangle Tapers with two more of the same. Been using them for about thirty years now and still happy with them.

Same here,,,,fishy lines,,, many huge rainbows on Orvis Rainbow Plus / #6 Triangle Taper with huge caddis,,mouse patterns here on the Copper River!

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My new favorite 2wt and 3wt lines are Cortland Trout Boss

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My current favorite is the RIO Trout LT ... the only WF 0 weight I've found. .. if they'd only offer it in 000 I'd be truly happy. DT .. not my preferred style.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by waterrat

Same here,,,,fishy lines,,, many huge rainbows on Orvis Rainbow Plus / #6 Triangle Taper with huge caddis,,mouse patterns here on the Copper River!

Same here, but for different reasons. I favor short rods because most of my local venues are brushy small creeks, and the Triangle Tapers suit me and my casting/fishing style. I never have a desire to punch huge flies through the wind, rather sub-#20 midges are my typical choice, and the TT allows for delicate close range presentations - yet has the moxie to handle a heavy fly at longer range if called upon.

None of my rods are over 7' in length, and primarily bamboo, so your mileage may vary.

My only gripe is the cost. But lo and behold, the 4wt TT floater I just bought wasn't very much more expensive, if at all, than the one it's replacing which I bought longer ago than I care to admit to.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by waterrat

Same here, but for different reasons. I favor short rods because most of my local venues are brushy small creeks, and the Triangle Tapers suit me and my casting/fishing style. I never have a desire to punch huge flies through the wind, rather sub-#20 midges are my typical choice, and the TT allows for delicate close range presentations - yet has the moxie to handle a heavy fly at longer range if called upon.

None of my rods are over 7' in length, and primarily bamboo, so your mileage may vary.

My only gripe is the cost. But lo and behold, the 4wt TT floater I just bought wasn't very much more expensive, if at all, than the one it's replacing which I bought longer ago than I care to admit to.

We must be brothers from another mother, Gary. Our styles are about identical. It's rare that I have more than 10-15 feet, or so, of line past my rod tip...and most times, less than that. Truth be told, I probably roll cast more than anything. I have longer and heavier rods, from when I was going to Alaska every year, but my go to trout rod is a 7' Orvis 1oz 4wt. Even dinks play like a tiger on it.

Regrettably, my grandad's bamboos all hang on my brother's wall and don't get fished. Even if he would let me, I'd be too anxious that I might break a tip or worse. I content myself with taking his deer rifles for a walk each year. But I digress

I'd like to talk to David on our trip, about the possibility of building me a similar light 7' 3wt or 4wt.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/18/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd give another vote for the Rio gold but would also consider the Rio Grand or that rod if you are not a very experienced caster.that rod id fairly stiff and the gold is almost a full size heavier so you will be able to feel the rod load better particularly inside 40'. Depending on the size of the water you fish.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I made the classic mistake recently of judging a line's viability by only lawn casting it. 6'6" 4-piece graphite travel rod, nominally 2-weight (it weighs 1.7 ounces). I tried a 3-weight triangle taper line in the backyard and it was marvelous for 20 foot casts (long distance for the creek I ventured into a couple days later). Lo and behold, when the line got wet, cold, and a little heavier it decidedly overwhelmed the rod. I knew better.....

2-wt line now on order.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.