Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
My son (he’s 30+) is a Senior HVAC tech and last year told me about the “I-Wave” that really knocks down dust in the house….
It is a small device that sits in the bottom of the furnace and Ionizes all the dust / pollen … particles in the air that makes them stick together and get removed by normal filters.

I finally put one in my place - the damn thing works !
Not only did it knock the dust down, it removed the pollen and my allergies in the house are almost none existent….

The things cost 325 if you buy them directly, and most companies will charge you a grand for them….. so I recommend “if you know a guy”…

they hook to 24v, or 120v and have 2 brush like posts, and it has an arm that rotates to clean the dust off the brushes, but it only turns every 10 hours.
It comes with a 2 or 3 year warranty.

Glad my kid’s a HVAC guy - it only cost me buying it.. and a Ribeye and Beer, that we would have ate anyway.

It’s this think https://www.amazon.com/i-Wave-R-iWave-R-Residential-Generator-Sold/dp/B07WSF4J3D

Last edited by Spotshooter; 06/17/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this a new version of the electrostatic filters?
It sounds like a good idea, especially at the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Is this a new version of the electrostatic filters?
It sounds like a good idea, especially at the price.

Another version of ionization. Might want to check the lawsuits prior to purchasing. Also, many studies are coming out that are not favorable. Ionization seems to break down large VOCs (volatile organic compounds) into their smaller components that are breathed deeper into the lungs. Not a good thing. Some generate ozone. Ionization and the resulting lawsuits are what drove Sharper Image into bankruptcy. ALWAYS look for independent, control group, peer-reviewed studies. Ionization can help with odors and dust, but the downside is steeper than I want to deal with in most cases.

Ionization Lawsuits

Electrostatic is another matter. A charge is introduced into the media that attracts opposite charged particles. Overall it is good. The downside is that efficacy drops off as it loads or the charge dissipates. Some manufacturers use it to artificially enhance their MERV rating for testing. It can cause a filter to test at a higher MERV rating than the actual mechanical MERV rating. Look at the appendix J rating. It will read as MERV 8,8A or MERV13,10A. The A rating is the appendix J or mechanical rating after the charge dissipates. Purely electrostatic washable systems have created a secondary market for replacement pleated filters. They lose efficacy as they load, are a pain to wash, and can promote mold issues if not thoroughly dried after washing. The Honeywell replacement filters are aftermarket replacements for electrostatic systems that people tired of.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have put several of them in houses or businesses, they do seem to work well. I have 2 of the mini versions for the mini split heat pump system I installed in my own home but have not had time to install them yet.

On the mini split units it is supposed to help prevent the crap from growing on the blower wheel, if they work for that then they will be well worth the money because getting the blower wheels out of them is a major PITA.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

It’s not an elec. filter - it charges the particles of dust so the clump and stick to the filters…

It works really good…

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And if one is not running a central air and heat system? No workie?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Negative ion generators in a grow operation, oh yeah

Alpine Air purifiers. I used to peddle those things for $499 20 years ago.

Had a few people said it dried their noses out and caused nosebleeds.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
And if one is not running a central air and heat system? No workie?

They do make fans with ION things built in.

The big thing is to make sure you get one that is self cleaning - they have arms that flick the dust off them…. Otherwise you have to do it manually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How much power does it use? Does it only run when the fan runs?

I suspect a HEPA filter would cost less and work better. My friend installed a UV lamp in his AC and the bulb burns out every 6 months.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

It runs all the time, not sure on the power it pulls.

IC B3

_
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
_
Just bought 3 air scrubbers. Filter down to 0.3microns. Invisi clean. 4 in 1 aura air purifier. Look it up real quick. You might be impressed. I was

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.