Print Thread
Hop To
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are firearms allowed in the Kenai Nat'l. Wildlife Refuge??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Are firearms allowed in the Kenai Nat'l. Wildlife Refuge??

L.W.

Yes

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Fortunately, their injuries were not severe enough to prevent them from paddling back up to the campground for cell service and help.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
makes me just shake my head ! > many times people that are attacked by a bear its their own fault , i have had black bears around my home , grizzly and black bears at camps ,black bears at deer stands ,bear baits, dumps , many times all my life . some people are just idiots around bear areas and bears in camp or in the wild.

Last edited by pete53; 06/14/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pete53
makes me just shake my head ! > many times people that are attacked by a bear its their own fault , i have had black bears around my home , grizzly and black bears at camps ,black bears at deer stands ,bear baits, dumps , many times all my life . some people are just idiots around bear areas and bears in camp or in the wild.

Fairly "arrogant" and condescending........I notice that you appear to have very little experience with bears attacking your tent with you inside the tent. It is stimulating experience. Any experience with having (7) Seven Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in your camp at the same time, and after five hours of constantly chasing them out of camp on dark rainy night, say "Screw-it".

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Interesting

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gaseous colloids meet ticklish orifi...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

How would have handled this any better........??? This was roughly 50 years ago. We knew Al Thompson.
https://redoubtreporter.wordpress.c...mauling-story-garners-lots-of-attention/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Fairly "arrogant" and condescending........I notice that you appear to have very little experience with bears attacking your tent with you inside the tent. It is stimulating experience. Any experience with having (7) Seven Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in your camp at the same time, and after five hours of constantly chasing them out of camp on dark rainy night, say "Screw-it".

oh we had a bear try and come in the tent , and even had bears try and come in my home a few times ,but those bears all left in a hurry . > arrogant no but you seem to feel you know alot and brag about lots of bears in camp at same time at night in the rain . no i have no experience with Alaskan bears but i am sure grizzly bears in the mountains do have just as bad a attitude as bears in Alaska which i have had in the camp site and when i was riding a mule way back in the mountains i even had at 60 feet momma grizzly with 2 - 1 1/2 cubs ,she was a good momma bear she left , i have also seen some cougars and black bears that get nasty too. >> as far as you bragging about bears at your camp site in the rain sounds like you don`t have much experience on how to pick a decent camp site,\ or how to set up so bears don`t bother you. maybe some of these Alaskan guides on here can help you with tips on how to pick and set up a camp site in bear country. good luck >> P.S. hope these guides can help you out with some bear safety tips,Pete53

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're out of line.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pal

You're out of line.

pal, your either are a city - it and/or have not seen these fools in the wilderness.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now

as far as you bragging about bears at your camp site in the rain sounds like you don`t have much experience on how to pick a decent camp site,\ or how to set up so bears don`t bother you. maybe some of these Alaskan guides on here can help you with tips on how to pick and set up a camp site in bear country. good luck >> P.S. hope these guides can help you out with some bear safety tips,Pete53

I am always interested in learning, so I look forward to any guidance. However you might not be aware that when you get dropped of in the Alaska wilderness, on a remote lake on the Alaska Peninsula. With a camp and equipment to guide (5) Five hunters, you are deposited with a hell of a lot of tents and equipment. And for the record I was at the time working for a Alaska Registered Guide. And I was also a Alaska Registered Guide, with at that point about 40 years experience. Sometimes there are very few options for a camp, and generally we use and reuse locations we have experience with........especially the game in that area.

But....Yes, after those five moose hunters, and the "so'called" Assistant guide were flown out. I did move what I needed from that camp over to "Battle Lake"........to finish up the 86 day "Fall" season guiding Brown Bear hunters. There were far more Brown Bears there at Battle Lake.....but they were pleasant to live with.

Last edited by AGL4now; 06/14/21.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well good for you ,be safe

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Some follow-up information........Having first-aid supplies and knowledge to apply, was of value.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/06/16/good-samaritan-helps-skilak-lake-bear-mauling-victims/

Last edited by AGL4now; 06/16/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hiked that same trail a couple of years ago, we spent six weeks hiking our way around Alaska, based in Palmer. We put 5,000 miles on our rental car in that six week period. I carried a Glock everytime I left the car. Thankfully, we never had to use it but a local fellow was killed on Eagle River the same day we were there, just a couple miles apart. Residents have local knowledge, as a tourist, better safe than sorry and always carry. I live in FL and generally know how to avoid sharks, gators and snakes. I see tourists do some of the craziest things and just shake me head.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Am in "bear country" right now. We keep cooking, food storage and sleeping areas separate as terrain allows.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
" i (sic) have no experience with Alaskan bears" Pete you sure have a lot of knowledge of Alaskan bears despite never having set foot in the state. Please lecture us some more,

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
since you have so little experience with bears maybe get a hold of Big Stick he knows more than i do since he lives in Alaska .good luck,Pete53

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t have near the experience as many that post here

But do have enough experience to know that if you spend enough time in bear country you’re apt to get some bear encounters of the close kind.

Have always cooked in our tent in high country, when not backpacking usually have a designated cook tent, but not always.

Tent, camper or cabin have had from curious to aggressive bears show up.

Dealt w accordingly

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.