24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The laptop that I gave to Wabigoon is one I bought on eBay (for $75) to test drive numerous Linux distributions (or versions). It's a 2012 machine, and there were some distros of Linux that would not load or even test-run from a USB stick. I tried nearly 20 different versions of Linux on that machine, of which only two or three would not load. So it is possible that a given machine and a given OS will not be compatible, especially older machines and cutting-edge Linux distros. Not a big deal, as there are literally hundreds of Linux variations. The three I'd strongly recommend looking at are definitely Mint Cinnamon and then Feren or Zorin Core, the latter two for less-capable machines.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may have a recovery partition.

On some Dell's you access it with control + F11 at first boot. Or maybe just f8 then select recovery.

Like others have said Linux works well on older hardware. And in my limited experience its best on intel chipsets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if you don't know what is on it buy a new hard drive and a usb drive enclosure, and build a fresh system.
you can then examine the old drive to see what is on it and scan it for malware and viruses...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's nothing better than winning or being gifted something that turns into a project you never wanted in the first place. wink I'd rather they give it to Goodwill instead of running it through me first.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Borrow Hilliary’s rag to wipe it..😡

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Much depends on what' level the password is at, could be anything from bios, disk encryption or just windows.

But yes, you have someone else's laptop DO NOT PUT THIS ON A NETWORK. Wipe it clean and start from scratch. If you don't know how to do this, any geek shop can help you for a few bucks.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Unless a guy is looking for learning experience with computers, and/or wishing to experiment with a new OS, It might well be cheaper and much less frustrating to just drop the free laptop into the garbage can. Then go down to Walmart or Staples and see what you can get for three hundred bucks.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
_
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
_
A hammer…. Works everytime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A new OS shouldn't be daunting. You've probably learned a smart phone's Android or iPhone system. That's a new OS. You managed that, right? Trust me, a Linux system will look and feel familiar. And the only thing you need to find out is a USB stick/thumb drive.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I forgot to mention it was in a bunch of stuff in an auction, So that is why they had no knowledge of password, when fired up it shows TJ as the owner and it is asking for the password.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if dip switches still exist, but years back I could switch pins on the mother board and eliminate the need for hardware password. One might still be forced into a password by Windows though.

Just did a upgrade to 10 from 7 on this workstation and it was smooth sailing.

1Minute
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A new OS shouldn't be daunting. You've probably learned a smart phone's Android or iPhone system. That's a new OS. You managed that, right? Trust me, a Linux system will look and feel familiar. And the only thing you need to find out is a USB stick/thumb drive.

I keep threatening to set up a multiboot system. But just have not had the nuts to do it yet.
I want it to boot to:
Win 98
XP pro
And a Linux distro.

I want to introduce the grandkids to all of these thirty year old games and and combat aircraft sims still sitting on the shelves.

I am not sure what hyperspeed, multicore processors will do to the game play or video rendering.

I have original install discs for the operating systems, if I can get past Windows Validation because they have been previously certified on another MB.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
tag

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Partsman
I forgot to mention it was in a bunch of stuff in an auction, So that is why they had no knowledge of password, when fired up it shows TJ as the owner and it is asking for the password.

You bid on an unknown box of crap?

Wow, what a score!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partsman

I was thinking that or storage unit buyout kind of thing.
if you have a working computer you could just pull the hard drive from the auction machine (usually removal of one to five screws required) put it in an enclosure and run virus malware scans on it as a slaved drive.
the directory lists will tell you what software is on it.
geek squad could probably rebuild the HD for you, but I would put a solid state drive in if it doesn't have one.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I've said my piece. Partsman can have a fully functional laptop for no additional cost and about an hour's time if he just does what I suggested.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 89 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.