-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll admit, don't have one..........yet, but I've got the itch. How about a thread for some drone photos?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own one either, but a friend gets some good landscape shots from unique angles. For their size, the images are quite good with lots of depth of field. Looks like fun, but don't post of images of running wildlife as one might be charged with harassment.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Several years ago my three kids got together and presented my with the Mavic 2 Pro drone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The above are random "stills" shot on Galveston Island.

If I had known then what I know now I might have asked them to get me $2K in good Canon Glass. But perhaps not.

Do some research before you jump in.

The following is based on my understanding and is subject to correction.

IIRC any drone that weighs over 500 grams is subject to FAA guidelines and regulations. The Mavic Mini line come in at 499 grams IIRC.
So if your drone weighs over 500 grams it has to be registered with the FAA.
One must keep a copy of his registration with him on his person.
One must keep the registration number both on the outside of the drone and inside the battery department.
With the Mavic Pro, one had to download the DJI App, then take a test on that app before he could start the UAV.
It probably took me about 30 hours between Friday eve and following Monday to get ready to fly.
Nowhere in all the video's that I watched nor in the instructions does it tell you how to turn on the drone and controller. I finally figured out that you have to push the power button once and let off immediately then press and hold a second time on both the UAV and the controller in order to power up and sync.
Even if you do not have a Drone Operator's license (which is not easy to get) you are subject to FAA rules & regs (and they have severe penalties).
If you are within close proximity to an airport, whether the terminal is manned or unmanned you may not be able to get your craft off the ground. The software controls that. If you can get your craft off the ground and you are near an airport you assume full responsiblity for any damage or infractions.
I typically go three weeks to a month between flights. The day before i plan to fly I check for software updates. I do so because, IIRC, one cannot take off without first updating the software and Aircraft and if you are in a remote location and do not have access to wi-fi you may drain the charge in your controller and cut down considerably on your flying times.

If you do buy a Mavic, spend the extra and get the "Flymore Combo" It is well worth the extra expense.

Finally,
IIRC, in addition, the FAA is proposing that in the near future all drones must have included a tracking devise that will emit a signal that allows the exact location of the drone to be known/recorded when it is flight. If I understand it correctly , it will be a violation of FAA rules to fly any drone that does not have this capability, thus obsoleting any and all UAV's that do not have this capability built in, if this rule is implemented.

Anywho,

Here is a short clip I did. This was at my south Texas deer lease. I had some clearing done with a dozer two years before and the grass/brush had grown up a bit. I had a friend do some mowing with his "shredder". This is on private land and the owner of the rig asked me to take some footage of him on his rig.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My kids got me a drone a couple years ago. Fun to play with but I never got much into it. I flew it out to my pond and saw a goose family swimming around and decided to get a closer look. Note: Geese are not afraid of drones, especially when they have young. Last view I had was of wings and beaks attacking the drone then it went dark. Drone now resides at the bottom of the pond, never did find it. Wish I was filming when the attack took place.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.