Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll type it again....the NF #4 reticle isn't a traditional thick #4.

It's opening between the outer plex is 5 times as wide as the the same opening in the Forceplex.

The outer bars on the 4A are 1 moa while the outer on the Forceplex are .75 moa....the inner plex of the 4A are .2 while the Forceplex is .125......so it is a little heavier.

I'd like to take a look at one but I'm doubtful it would be much, if any, improvement over the Forceplex.

The Tract Toric 2-10 that Pappy348 mentioned is a very nice scope. That's not a knock on the SHV at all. I like and use both of them. The zero stop option on the Toric is a big plus.....Tract incorporated a great design in that for a hunting scope. It's not an extreme long range scope but it's a solid dialing scope for most hunting situations.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
While we're wishing, perhaps a "hunting" version scope in 3-10 SHV or 2.5-10 NXS with 1.5-2" LONGER tube for more scope mounting latitude sans a rail.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by horse1
While we're wishing, perhaps a "hunting" version scope in 3-10 SHV or 2.5-10 NXS with 1.5-2" LONGER tube for more scope mounting latitude sans a rail.

Or have them simply bring back the NXS 2.5-10x32. The smaller objective is plenty bright for me at legal shooting light, gives much more mounting flexibility. And it weighs a skosh under 19 oz. a plain plex or simple ballistic reticle a la Burris would be fine, as would a #4. And while they’re at it, how about deleting the lighted reticle stuff including the left turret/illumination dial (maybe save a couple ounces?)

Last edited by GF1; 10/18/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and thousands of other Alaskans have for the last 50 years done just fine with a 2nd FP scope and a Duplex reticle. I mean year after year all species have been taken with that kind of a set up with a scope in the 3-9 power range. I only know one guy that uses a FFP scope and he is a long range shooter that does lots of practice and has attended classes ran by top instructors.

My main rifle is a custom Mod. 70 in .338 with a SHV 3-10 illuminated Force Plex reticle. It has the Kenton Industries ballistic tape on the elevation turret and is supposed to be good out to 650 yards. I will find out this next spring as I have not shot it past 300 yards and in over 50 years I have never shot a moose past 450 yards.

One of my favorite reticles is the one Leupold's defunct Custom Shop used to offer, a post-duplex. It is about half the thickness of the German #4 in my Leupold 1.5-5x20. That reticle really aids the shooter when the light is dim and the woods are thick. Which describes a lot of moose hunting scenarios, especially near the road systems.

If I have over 10 power I want a parallax adjustment and really don't need a scope over 6 power for almost any of my Alaskan hunting. I currently have only one FFP scope and that is a 3-9x42 SWFA on a Tikka 6.5 T3X Superlite. I bought that set up to improve my shooting out to 800 yards and for the grandkids to use.

I am hoping to find a sale on the Athlon 2-12 FFP scope I am hearing good things about. If I do I will swap out the WFA 3-9 on the 6.5 Creed. It will be fun to play with at the range, but I don't need that big scope to shoot game

I still have the old K4 Weaver with the post reticle I used on my first rifle, a 03A3 Springfield 30-06 my Dad modified into a good hunting rifle. That scope is now on his old Mod. 99 300 Savage. By todays standards it is lacking in about every area, except reliability. For way over fifty years the scope has worked and taken caribou at over 300 yards.

It all comes down to what a person believes they need to reliably anchor the animal with the first shot. Any riflemen worth a hoot can take a 4 power scope and kill any North American big game animal out to 300 yards all day long.

My 2 cents...........

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'll type it again....the NF #4 reticle isn't a traditional thick #4.

It's opening between the outer plex is 5 times as wide as the the same opening in the Forceplex.

The outer bars on the 4A are 1 moa while the outer on the Forceplex are .75 moa....the inner plex of the 4A are .2 while the Forceplex is .125......so it is a little heavier.

I'd like to take a look at one but I'm doubtful it would be much, if any, improvement over the Forceplex.

The Tract Toric 2-10 that Pappy348 mentioned is a very nice scope. That's not a knock on the SHV at all. I like and use both of them. The zero stop option on the Toric is a big plus.....Tract incorporated a great design in that for a hunting scope. It's not an extreme long range scope but it's a solid dialing scope for most hunting situations.

JCMCUBIC makes a good point here. There is no "standard" on subtensions of any particular reticle design. Also, there is no guarantee that a reticle design will be the same across product lines within the same company. You can't always trust the depicted image of the reticle the manufacturer advertises either. Study the subtension diagrams if you can obtain them.

Many here have shown praise for Swarovski's 4A reticle. I am also a fan of this reticle....but the 4A reticle that Swaro includes in the Z3 line is not the same 4A reticle they include in their Z6 line.

What is advertised (MidwayUSA shown for convenience):

[Linked Image]

What you get:

[Linked Image]

Compare that with the Z6 version....what is advertised (again, MidwayUSA):

[Linked Image]

What you get (I did not bother to turn on the illumination):

[Linked Image]

Granted, the illumination on this scope would essentially negate the purpose of the 4A reticle and it's bold bars since you shouldn't need the heavier reticle in fading light if you have the lit dot. Still, this reticle is very fine and in my opinion, even worse than Leupold's wide duplex reticle when it comes to general hunting uses.

Like JCM mentioned, Tract's T-Plex reticle is VERY good and essentially on par with Swaro's Z3 line of 4A reticles (sorry, I didn't think to take pics of the reticle's in my own Tract scopes).

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a big fan of the german #4A reticle. It is simple and effective. Just what you want for a “normal” (i.e. not super long range) hunting scope.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Scope makers have really learned how to screw up a useful reticle by making them wide and thin, and then misrepresenting them in their illustrations.

Seems like they sell more disappearing reticles to broad daylight target shooters than hunters that actually get into the woods and hunt.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I was reminded on my MT. antelope last Sunday why I like the Swaro 4a so much, I had to make a quick shot (173 yards) after dropping prone as he was trying to slip away, for me that reticle quickly brings my eye to center and promptly on target, still my favorite hunting reticle for my normal hunting situations.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Many made fun of the Bushnell Fireflys but the reticle is absolutely visible and useable past most legal shooting hours. Never mind “charging” it with a flashlight; there’s no need. The bold triplex works very well in acquiring targets quickly whether stationary or on the run. Wife has a 2-7 on a Browning Micro Abolt and a 1.5-4.5(?) on a Ruger Deerfield.44, I and my son have the 2-7 on a pair of stainless Model 7s; his a .260 and mine a 7/08. Son also has the 2-7 on a .50 muzzleloader shooting max Blackhorn loads with 250 gr Hornadys. So far none have died and all are bloodied.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Night Force durability and reliability with a hunter-friendly German #4 Reticle, count me in. Sounds too good to be true.

I've been looking for something like that.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.