Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anyone know what steel is used and tempered hardness?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was that the early knives made from the Ford model t leaf springs?

Maybe another maker I’m thinking of.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I thought they was Studebaker springs?..... Whatever, they are clunky, ugly dam things......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think mine is ugly or clunky. Has worked quite well on elk and black bear. Also works efficiently around camp, too. Sharp as a razor and stays that way. Might be made from Studebaker springs? Don't know. I bought it from Ruana in 1984. I think I'll keep it. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I thought they was Studebaker springs?..... Whatever, they are clunky, ugly dam things......

Yes. Studs baker sounds correct.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I think mine is early 90s skinner. On the heavy side, “some” might call it clunky, but not ugly to my eye. A gift from my wife when we was dating or just married.

Don, ya done hurt my feelers! 😁

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the 21A bought 25 years ago. Still going strong and sharp. Gutted lots of deer and antelope and a few elk with it. I don't consider it heavy or too light. I don't want something I have to worry about breaking if used rough. It has at times and hasn't been a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Used rough"... What does that mean?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you guys think that a too-thick blade with a big wad of aluminum up front, and on the ass-end of the handle, with a tiny little sliver of bone/horn in between those clunky blocks of silver chit isn't ugly........ Well then, enjoy the holy hell outta them, uhh, 'beauties'.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC

breaking down split-rim tires.... who needs a prybar when you have one of these?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you guys think that a too-thick blade with a big wad of aluminum up front, and on the ass-end of the handle, with a tiny little sliver of bone/horn in between those clunky blocks of silver chit isn't ugly........ Well then, enjoy the holy hell outta them, uhh, 'beauties'.....

Agreed Don. Appreciate the craftsmanship but can’t like em

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
More power to anyone who likes them but I'm with Don on these

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC

Driving one into a tree, as step to get into a hunting stand ?

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
almost like a wannabe Randall, but not nearly as classy

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Sorry I dont know either. I had one and the steel seemed soft to me. Easy to dull, easy to sharpen.

To my tastes it was crude, because like Mannlicher..I'm kinda used to Randalls.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

First sheath I ever made, for a friend' Ruana

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Later on I purchased this one as it had been signed by Vic Hangis ( Son of Rudy Ruana)

Biggest negative to me was the length of the grip between the bolster and the butt cap.
In due time it followed someone else home.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/20/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Rudy began making knives as a blacksmith/farrier in the Army in the early 1920's. Ruana Knife Works dates from 1938. The R.H. Ruana Stamp dates from 1943 to 1984 when Rudy retired. He passed in 1986. Vic Hangas was Rudy's son-in law. He worked with Rudy from 1964 until Rudy's death, then himself passed in 2019. Vic's sons - Rudy's grandsons, have owned/run the business since.

The idea that Ruana's are copies of, or wanabee Randall's doesn't pan out since Rudy was making knives a decade before Bo, and both companies are officially dated from 1938. In my world of remote Idaho as I grew up in the 1960's-1970's there were Ruana guys and Randall Guys at the high end, and pretty much Western factory knives under that. My own take is that it is a well known fact that Bo was a Bill Scagel apprentice, though that is never printed of Rudy. I think Scagel is the father of ALL of these guys.... take that for whatever my musings are worth!

Anyway:

Ruana used the Ford vanadium spring steel from 1938 to 1941, and Studebaker SManganese steel from then to 1962.

In 1962 they switched to 1095 for hunters/skinners and 5160 for the Bowies, and that remains through today.

As to hardness...Ruana's have differential hardness through zone tempering that yields the spine a couple points lower than the edge.

The 1095 hunters/skinners are nominally 56-58 HRC.

The Bowies are nominally 57-59+

Last edited by Journeyman; 06/23/21.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Rudy began making knives as a blacksmith/farrier in the Army in the early 1920's. Ruana Knife Works dates from 1938. The R.H. Ruana Stamp dates from 1943 to 1984 when Rudy retired. He passed in 1986. Vic Hangas was Rudy's son-in law. He worked with Rudy from 1964 until Rudy's death, then himself passed in 2019. Vic's sons - Rudy's grandsons, have owned/run the business since.

The idea that Ruana's are copies of, or wanabee Randall's doesn't pan out since Rudy was making knives a decade before Bo, and both companies are officially dated from 1938. In my world of remote Idaho as I grew up in the 1960's-1970's there were Ruana guys and Randall Guys at the high end, and pretty much Western factory knives under that. My own take is that it is a well known fact that Bo was a Bill Scagel apprentice, though that is never printed of Rudy. I think Scagel is the father of ALL of these guys.... take that for whatever my musings are worth!

Anyway:

Ruana used the Ford vanadium spring steel from 1938 to 1941, and Studebaker SManganese steel from then to 1962.

In 1962 they switched to 1095 for hunters/skinners and 5160 for the Bowies, and that remains through today.

As to hardness...Ruana's have differential hardness through zone tempering that yields the spine a couple points lower than the edge.

Great info and write up, thank ya sir. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Anyway:

Thanks, journeyman!

Do you recall from where that info came?

My example of one via the skinner pictured above.

Just been pulling knives out of different storage locations and wondered about this Ruana. M

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, when I got really into knives I started buying examples from the "hall of fame" type makers, roughly in order of their rise, to personally experience the changes as the American knife industry matured. In my Ruana phase I bought several knives and the book "Hear the Hammer", the history of the company and Rudy's autobiography, if you will. I don't know if it is still in print, that was in the 90's.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.