Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In an attempt at 100 yds. RIP.
"coroner will conduct an autopsy on Friday to confirm the cause and manner of his death" Well, um, I can make a fairly good guess at it - covid, right? I guess this isn't any more dangerous than jumping off a cliff in a squirrel suit.

Washington state motorcycle stunt rider dies attempting to break world record
The Grant County coroner will conduct an autopsy on Friday to confirm the cause and manner of his death
By Bradford Betz | Fox News
A motorcycle stunt rider died from injuries he sustained while attempting to break a world-record motorcycle jump in Washington state.

Alex Harvill was attempting to jump the length of a football field on his motorcycle during a performance for the Moses Lake Airshow when he crashed, the Grant County Sheriff’s Office said.

Horrifying footage of the crash shows Harvill launching his bike off a ramp, flying through the air, and landing on a dirt mound, just a few feet from where he would have been in the clear. From a distance, he can be seen flying over the handlebars and tumbling across the top of the dirt mound before slamming to a stop.

Harvill was taken to the hospital for his injuries, but later died, officials said. He was 28 years old.

The Grant County coroner will conduct an autopsy on Friday to confirm the cause and manner of Harvill’s death.

The sheriff’s office said Harvill’s family has been notified and extended its "deepest sympathies" to his family, friends and loves ones.

Harvill previously set a world record in 2013 after jumping nearly 300 feet between two dirt ramps, Q13 Fox reported.

He was from Ephrata, a town of about 8,000 people, located in the center of Washington state.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We shot a Harvill into the air,
He came to Earth precisely there.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember the guy out here at Magic Valley Speedway that tried a jump that ended up with him stuck in the back of a flat bed semi trailer that was supposed to be the landing ramp? I think he lived but is paralyzed. Something Brown if I remember correctly. Bad deal.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just found that one on youtube. ouch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrw2n9FFEUE

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doesn’t seem like a worthwhile endeavor to die for.

If he would have succeeded, I guess his name would have placed him in Guineas right under the black chick that ate the most mattress foam in one sitting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Darwinism.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Landing ramp definitely configured to punish failure.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tough way to try and make a living.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He died doing what he wanted. I have no problem with that. At least he was out doing something. Not just waiting to get old and die.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
Just found that one on youtube. ouch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrw2n9FFEUE
I don't know anything abut that one.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by travelingman1
He died doing what he wanted. I have no problem with that. At least he was out doing something. Not just waiting to get old and die.
Now his young son can grow up telling his friends how Daddy killed himself. This life isn't about 'me'. He had a family to look after and he failed as a father.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Plus 1

It’s not the life for me and as a parent there’s something to be said for risk evaluation but a clean lifestyle and your time and mentoring are what are owed to your children. Your occupation assuming that it’s legal and doesn’t keep you away for extended time is up to each to decide for themselves. He likely better financially supported his child in life and almost certainly in death (guessing the insurance policies that the promoters are required to take out are astronomical) more than he could have done so doing anything else. He did what he knew and loved and will be missed by his family but I wouldn’t call him a poor father or son for following what he enjoyed and I’m sure he never expected to end up dead doing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I see videos of stunt riders, I wonder how they ever made it to the point to where they got good at it.
One would think that there's not much margin for error to avoid a serious injury.

It's a good thing they did autopsy.....

"Washington state motorcycle stunt rider dies attempting to break world record
The Grant County coroner will conduct an autopsy on Friday to confirm the cause and manner of his death."

I hope someone shared the gospel with him and he made the right decision before the last time he climbed up on the bike.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Now his young son can grow up telling his friends how Daddy killed himself. This life isn't about 'me'. He had a family to look after and he failed as a father.

Yup, exactly. Kids won’t have a father, and we may end up supporting them.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I casually knew him due to friends that grew up with him/ knew him well. From all indications he was a great guy and great father. Pro racer who gave back to the local racers and kids getting into motocross. Lots of people undertake dangerous careers, no difference then people who choose to be firemen, policemen or any other dangerous occupation.

Sounds like he went out doing what he loved and that’s a life well lived in my book.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
He told them to make the landing area 100 yards away but they made it 100 meters. 😮

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hitting the down-side is very important - over-jumping and hitting a 'flat-lander' is a hard impact . Coming up short and hitting into the back side as Alex Harvill will get you .

Rest in peace Alex .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (2UP, 44mc, 257 roberts, 35, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.