Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cowman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So wife wants to check this out late July, probably will have kids with (19-23) All good with hiking and looking forward to that. Any other must see things in the area while we are there? Fishing opportunities out there as well? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Will you have 19 to 23 kids or kids 19 and 23 years old? grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Reservations are necessary as it might be crowded. With the CV19 one never knows how busy the park will be. Great place to visit and there's a lot to see.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bryce Canyon NP is like 1-2 hours from Zion. North Rim of the Grand Canyon is like 2-3 hours from Zion. The North Rim of Grand Canyon is better in my opinion.

There are trout streams and lakes not too far from Zion near Panguich.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There have been numerous threads about Utah vacations. Anywhere you go here is simply amazing.

This year may not be the best to visit, though. The entire area of the five national parks is in Exceptional Drought status, which is the worst category possible. By late July there may be severe water restrictions in place that could impact a visit. At this moment, that's only a possibility, but it would be terrible if you arrived and everything was suddenly closed.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
My family did the Big 5 last year. Beautiful area! Get reservations! The crowds are bad and much worse this year. No joking. We were unable to secure reservations so we were unable to see part of Zion. We had hoped to hike angels landing and the narrows. Without reservations you can’t even get near that area.
I know someone who arrived today to hike angels landing. Arrived at 3:30am to get in line and wait on the shuttles that take them there. I personally would not put that much effort to hang with a crowd. I prefer solitude!
Good luck and enjoy the parks.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its gonna be hot. Understatement of the year.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great basin nat park in Nevada was a unknown jewel back when I worked there. Well worth a couple days, like being in a paperback western.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cowman
So wife wants to check this out late July, probably will have kids with (19-23) All good with hiking and looking forward to that. Any other must see things in the area while we are there? Fishing opportunities out there as well? Thanks
Bryce Canyon ..Been to 45 states and Bryce is in the top 3 places..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bryce is astounding. You arrive through an unremarkable sage flat, go through the entrance and walk down a plain pine-bordered path. You turn left and climb a few stairs up a 10-ft embankment that blocks your view to the east.

And at the very top, you will stop dead in your tracks, your jaw drops, and you become utterly speechless at what plunges away in front of you. It is a moment and a sight you will recall the rest of your life.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^ What Rocky said, in spades. Very spectacular place. Take binoculars, there's lots to see.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Anywhere you go here is simply amazing.

It truly is. It is also highly varied. It's like a completely new world with almost every mountain pass you top.

cowman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas, when you say reservations, are you talking shuttle reservations? My wife thought shuttle passes were discontinued May 28. Sounds like Bryce is a must for us...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I may suggest you get a National Park Pass before the trip to save on all the entrance fees. You might stay in Cedar City and visit Kolob Canyon just a few miles south of there on I-15 as an "appetizer" for the other parks. And don't miss seeing a play at the Utah Shakespeare Festival - one of the finest in the world. You can make day drives to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, and the others from there. On your way through Bicknell, DO stop for lunch and a slice of pickle pie. Really.

Each park will have different rules about how many visitors they can handle and when. Some do require time slot reservations. Go to each one WELL in advance (like NOW) to see if you need to book a time slot or arrange shuttle bus seats.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Just to point out - it rhymes with "lion".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

By the end of July maybe the temps will be lower/better...prob not

Although Zion elevation varies...expect 4000' average

Bryce is where ya wanna be in July at 8000' plus

Expect traffic/crowds of course

Highway 12 east of Bryce & Boulder are worth the drive/look see

Oh yea.....bring your own water.....really......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cowman
Thanks fellas, when you say reservations, are you talking shuttle reservations? My wife thought shuttle passes were discontinued May 28. Sounds like Bryce is a must for us...

coming from Iowa ?

Hiking at Utah elevations if not climatized can be issues for some...just a thought

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It will be hot and crowded but still worth the effort. If you can read a map and are in decent shape there are places to access the backcountry that see far less traffic. If you don't have a gallon of water per person at hand at all times stay in the towns, this is unforgiving country once you leave the pavement.

I have traveled the world and Southern Utah is a unique gem in natures crown.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

for example.....

105-108* all this week coming.....

Maybe reconsider.....

High Unita Mtns in NE Utah........low 70 highs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best thing to do in Zion this time of year is to hike the narrows. At least you are in the water for some of it and can cool off - along with 1000 other aholes who are going to be wanting to do the same thing. Too hot & crowded for Zion NP this time of year IMHO.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 06/19/21.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.