Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Better question is why did they start it.

Lazy fugking parents is why.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We still have it,I think it helps.
Oldest 2 took it,youngest couldn't due to covid.
Youngest really doesn't give a hoot about driving.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever happened to turning 16 and going to the DMV to get your learners permit? I turned 16 in 1966 and I can recall guys who skipped school on their 16th birthday so they could go get their learners permit. I didn't do that but felt like a nerd because it still took me over 4 months after turning 16 to get a license. Took driver ed in 1967 in a 67 Chevy on loan from the local dealer with one of the gym teachers who also taught driver ed. Even got to watch a couple of those gory car accident movies. I see 20 year olds today who have never even gotten a learners permit yet.....WTF ???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Liability.

probably teachers teaching the kids about "inspiration point" parking.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
They still teach it here in south Arkansas you have to provide proof of insurance before your kid can actually drive!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Buck720
They still teach it here in south Arkansas you have to provide proof of insurance before your kid can actually drive!

Same in our area.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Whatever happened to turning 16 and going to the DMV to get your learners permit? I turned 16 in 1966 and I can recall guys who skipped school on their 16th birthday so they could go get their learners permit. I didn't do that but felt like a nerd because it still took me over 4 months after turning 16 to get a license. Took driver ed in 1967 in a 67 Chevy on loan from the local dealer with one of the gym teachers who also taught driver ed. Even got to watch a couple of those gory car accident movies. I see 20 year olds today who have never even gotten a learners permit yet.....WTF ???

What's a learners permit?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Still have it here. It's not the only option, but you can still take it inside the school.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the movies were a right of passage. "wait til you see the gory DE movie". late 40's, early 50's tanks wrapped around trees. most probably staged. me and my buddy took it together. used to burn a fatty out back of school and then go drive the mercury zephyr around town. teacher would be like "hands at 10 and 2". "check your mirrors", "signal to merge". meanwhile we were friggen toasted like cheech and chong.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We still have it here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll never forget the look on Coach Cousins face when he got handed the blinker handle.

We don’t need no steenkin blinker !

I’d been driving on our farm & dirt roads & a lil bit of asphalt for a couple of years before I took drivers Ed, so had an advantage over town kids. It was between hilarious & frightening riding w some town kids when it was their turn.

I couldn’t get my drivers license until 2 mos. into my junior year, I lived in the biggest podunk town in a county of podunk towns. They only gave the test on Mondays.

I turned 16 on a Thursday, so I skipped school the next day w my best bud who had turned 16 in Feb. of our sophomore year & he drove my grandparents LTD to a neighboring county to a town that was our arch enemy in football. The only game on our schedule that we played on Saturday afternoon instead of Fri. night due to all the past violence between the two schools.

Since it was a Friday I had on my white jersey that all the footballers wore to school that day since we had a home game that evening where we’d Don our blue jerseys. I was nervous as hell they’d fail me for being where I was from.

But I passed ! Yippeee! And would have my dl for the weekend 💪🏼 The examiner did take some points off cause he said I drove too slow. I made up for that over the next several years, by driving too fast.

In my 71 Charger or his 68 gto we’d often cruise to places doing 120 mph. The Bible says god looks out for fools & lil children & I had pretty good heaping doses of both in those days . I

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The less involvement a school has in anything, the better.

Of course, I don't expect our taxes to come down as a result. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a mandatory class called Safety.
My understanding was you watched graphic movies, and wrote extensive reports. Only after you passed Safety, could you take Drivers Ed.

There was a summer safety course with a different teacher, much easier.
And not the fat, lazy, perv that normally taught it.

I was Vo-tech. We had to lose a mandatory credit to meet scheduling.
Safety was it.
I wasn't going to pay for summer school, and lose work.
So, 🖕!

Yep. I paid 10% of 600 dollars for several years.
But figuring in the $100 fee, and a weeks money, and I didn't have
do do the BS stuff. I was happy.

Spent 5 weeks in truck driving school.
Two, on the road training.

Later spent a week in a trainer training course.
And three years as a trainer. On road and in house.
So, I guess I eventually got wrapped up in Drivers Ed.

Some one mentioned "Mom and Dad lessons".
Wife also went to CDL school. And drove long haul.

One daughter has been through Mom and Dad school.
Still gets "refresher" training. And put in the seat when we go
to high traffic places.
The 14 year old tomorrow daughter has been getting situational
lessons since her sisters training started.

I'll put our training up against any paid course.
We might not come out on top.
But will beat most.

How many set up cone obstacle coarser.

A bunch!

How many back through it?
Using the side mirrors?
Not a marked lane, but serpentine. Like on a CDL course.
But with 5 cones.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 06/20/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I remember Coach Stiggins showing us this old Dick York classic. This was 50 years ago! 🤣🤣🤣 He did in on purpose so we’d all get a laugh!! Was corny as hell!

Who's the good lookin' doll in the passenger seat?

Kissma, Kissma Windscreen

you a funny dude sometimes!

smile

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little off tangent but vividly remember going in for the final Va test/driving session. Kid ahead of me was firing up his brother's cammed up 4 on the floor Dodge that he'd obviously not driven before. It was parallel parked with a rig behind and pickup ahead. Kid started letting the clutch out and the Dodge literally leaped into the rear end of the pickup ahead. Without a word, the DVM guy calmly stepped out of the car, ripped the test/performance sheet in half, and left it on the passenger's seat. Big brother was none too happy, as I think he had at least 4 headlights and maybe a grill and bumper to replace.

Had no troubles with mine as I'd schooled up on a 3 on the tree 58 Ford, but the old man acquired a huge 63 wide track automatic Pontiac station wagon the week before I went in. The parallel parking exercise was the most feared portion of the exam. As I recall, I don't think we even had to buckle in back then.

Thank God gas was cheap then. If one floored that Pontiac to get around the rig ahead, the gas gage made an obvious advance toward empty by the time one was pulling back into the right lane.

Here in this small Oregon town, the now retired lady that administered the driving test never ever passed a kid on their initial try, as she could always find some fault in the driving exercises. I don't recall a single parent voicing a complaint either.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/08/21.

1Minute
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They still have a form of driver's ed at the high school I teach at in TX. Just sayin...

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I took DE for the insurance discount, after I had my license. We would take the PE teacher who taught it, to Dunkin Donuts.

Both my kids attended Dads Driving School. They are not fans at the time, but appreciate it later. They've both told me about ass holes that would not have passed my class!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably because it is a well-known fact that all parents are much more qualified to teach than anyone else.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good one happened last week.....

One day last week, right at daybreak, it came a shower. Not much rain, but enough to get the roads good and wet. About 9 am, beeper went off..... single MVA , gave the location, no entrapment. We get up there and it's a drivers ed vehicle. I see it's a girl student and woman teacher. My first thought was, this isn't gonna be good for the student driver, but come to find out, the teacher was driving. Went around a curve too fast and slid off the road. Teacher and student ok.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.