Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Dirt farmer sorry to hear about your friends wife.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
Dirt farmer sorry to hear about your friends wife.

Yeah, that was a bummer. The guy is a successful businessman and a retired pastor. He and his pastor son preached her funeral.

Now, you gotta be plugged in pretty tight with the Higher Power to successfully pull something like that off and do it well.

I wasn't able to go, but my Bud said it was one of the finest funerals he'd heard. It was recounted how she lived, the people she influenced during her lifetime. Reportedly her sphere of influence and her ministry were quite extensive and note worthy. Her reward is on the other side, for sure. There's gotta be Peace in that.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
416 rigby is a keeper. I’m in love with the horse power got 400 Aframes well under min of buffalo.

Im in the process of regulating the sights now.

Are you going to mount a scope on the .416 Rigby?

Yes. I took the scope off got my 400 grain A Frames absolutely perfect at 50 yards. Had to take .075” off the sight. Next is getting the first flip up on at 125 yard and the second at 200.

The scope is a Leupold 2.5 compact it has about 5” of eye relief. Amen. It’s 1” high at 50 yards.

I have settled on the 400 Aframe and the 400 hornady solids land about 1/2 higher that the Aframes and perfectly in line.

I have 2 1/2 boxes of 350 Aframes and a box of Barnes 350 tsx
And a bunch of old Barnes X bullets I’m going to have to trade off for 400 grain Aframes.

Good choice on the scope DD!

Just a suggestion, why don't you get the second flip up sight on at 200 yards and not worry about the other two.

I enjoy the hell out of shooting the rifle, so getting the two flip dialed ups is a good time. Kinda figure the more rounds I fire from it the better I will be come game time.

True, the more time spent shooting it the better you will be when the moment of truth arrives. I just think a 200 yard zero with the iron sights will cover any shooting you will do with the .416.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
416 rigby is a keeper. I’m in love with the horse power got 400 Aframes well under min of buffalo.

Im in the process of regulating the sights now.

Are you going to mount a scope on the .416 Rigby?

Yes. I took the scope off got my 400 grain A Frames absolutely perfect at 50 yards. Had to take .075” off the sight. Next is getting the first flip up on at 125 yard and the second at 200.

The scope is a Leupold 2.5 compact it has about 5” of eye relief. Amen. It’s 1” high at 50 yards.

I have settled on the 400 Aframe and the 400 hornady solids land about 1/2 higher that the Aframes and perfectly in line.

I have 2 1/2 boxes of 350 Aframes and a box of Barnes 350 tsx
And a bunch of old Barnes X bullets I’m going to have to trade off for 400 grain Aframes.

Good choice on the scope DD!

Just a suggestion, why don't you get the second flip up sight on at 200 yards and not worry about the other two.

I enjoy the hell out of shooting the rifle, so getting the two flip dialed ups is a good time. Kinda figure the more rounds I fire from it the better I will be come game time.

True, the more time spent shooting it the better you will be when the moment of truth arrives. I just think a 200 yard zero with the iron sights will cover any shooting you will do with the .416.

Agree 100%. I was going to set the number 2 at 125, and the number 3 at 200.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
You may laugh at me, but take it out rabbit hunting. Try and get real close to them without them knowing you're there. Carry what you're going to hunt buffalo with and stalk the country for bunnies. IMO, that will be more helpful than anything else, if you can hit bunnies regularly with the .416 then buffalo will be easy-peasy.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You may laugh at me, but take it out rabbit hunting. Try and get real close to them without them knowing you're there. Carry what you're going to hunt buffalo with and stalk the country for bunnies. IMO, that will be more helpful than anything else, if you can hit bunnies regularly with the .416 then buffalo will be easy-peasy.

Then he can move up to a .460.... wink

Dem wabbits be some tough critters, don't ya know....

You not going soft, shootin' them with a .404J, are you...??

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
DF, not yet.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Elk,
I reserve the 458 for rabbits they are tougher than normal rabbit 🐇. 450 Aframes at 2320fps with 77.7grains of AA2230.

Farmer. The 458 has a 1-6 trijicon on it and I agree they are very nice scopes. I considered a 1-4 for the 416 but kinda dig the 2.5x and the ability to take it off and run the irons.

This years goal is to test the 416 on elk! Fingers crossed.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
DD, something tells me that the Rigby will do just fine on a elk. wink

The .458 will do just fine for those tough bunnies and the A-Frames will just barely over penetrate.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
DD, something tells me that the Rigby will do just fine on a elk. wink

The .458 will do just fine for those tough bunnies and the A-Frames will just barely over penetrate.

😂😂

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I can't imagine shooting some of the cannons talked about here. Biggest thing I have ever shot was a 300 Wby Mag. For some strange unknown reason I do have a hankering for a .375 Ruger guide gun. It just seems sexy to me.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cotis
I can't imagine shooting some of the cannons talked about here. Biggest thing I have ever shot was a 300 Wby Mag. For some strange unknown reason I do have a hankering for a .375 Ruger guide gun. It just seems sexy to me.

Of course, you deserve one.

Good site for enablement, we here to help... grin

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by cotis

I have an eye for the 416 guide. I have three boxes of 350 Aframes to get it started. But I’m pretty sure that you will love the 375 ruger.

As to recoil it’s just a big push. 😂👍

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
DF, hope your Bud uses the 400gr Partition on Buffalo, cant wait to hear how it works if he does.

He's long been a NPT fan, but seems the PH is an SAF guy. At least he'll have both.. Bud has used the SAF in his 338 Win in AK and S TX (nilgai), so he likes them, just prefers Partitions. He may be able to convince the PH to use NPT's. We'll see. Either bullet should do the job. Doubt anyone could tell the difference, doubt the buff could, either...

10 solids, 20 each of NPT and SAF, plus 50 7RM 160 NAB's (over 67 gr. RL-26), two plastic 50 rd, boxes in a locked TSA type ammo box, weighed 10#'s 8 oz, under the 11# max limit.

DF

Nice, if he cant get by the PH, could always use dead Buff for bullet testing with the NPT.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The hunt is the client's, he is paying for the hunt and the guide. He can use whatever bullet that he wants to use.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

The hunt is the client's, he is paying for the hunt and the guide. He can use whatever bullet that he wants to use.

True enough.

But, it's his first buff hunt and he's wanting to stay on the reservation, so to speak.

His thinking, why hire a PH and not listen to his advice, just as he doesn't appreciate a client trying to tell him how to try a case in court.

So, that's his take and his reasoning for listening to his PH.

As has been posted here more than once, PH's are largely expert hunters, at the top of their game. Most, however, aren't gun people, their rifles but tools of their trade. So, they tend to go with conventional thinking, don't branch out much, even when better stuff becomes available.

And, it may be a regional thing. My bud who got a buff in Zim said .416's and TSX's were in favor there and I've read the same. South Africa is where softs and solids are being recommended. I'd be curious to hear opinions on regional bullet and round preferences. I'd think PH's probably swap tales and discuss equipment among themselves.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would choose the Rigby.I once shot my PH's in an old MK2 magnum.It was REALLY accurate -much more accurate than my 458 Lott's.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Barret

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll make you a deal on a .404 Jeff project if you still need to scratch the itch. Action was an original German .300 Weatherby magnum, lightweight Walther barrel, sculpted scope mounts, barrel band, 3 pos safety, NECG front & rear sights and Weibe bottom metal. I have the metal work done and a nice stock blank. Needs the wood carved, metaI blued, and final tuning. I have a large collection of projectiles and dies to go along with it.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not intending to sweep in for the steal ... but you have my interest about this 404J in case the original poster declines.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.