Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Hey Frank500,
I’m gonna try Trail Boss in my 41 magnum as well using bullets made with the mold I got from you. It makes great bullets. Thanks again.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried to like it, I really did, but I got decidedly dismal accuracy results in .30 rifle cast target loads compared to 2400, RL7, 4227 and 4759. For light backyard plinking with .30 rifles and handguns accuracy was ok but it took twice as much powder as the same loads built with Bullseye. There in lies my assessment of poor bang for the buck, especially since it comes in 8 or 10 ounces in a one pound powder can for nearly the same cost. If I had some on the shelf I'd use it but I'm not buying any more.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
One of the biggest reasons I like Trail Boss is because as a long-time rifle cartridge hand loader, I like seeing a mostly-full case of powder before I seat a bullet. Just a mental thing I know, but those fluffy little TB doughnuts really fill a case and it make it easier to double-check everything before seating a bullet. Then, all the virtues others mentioned kick-in. Trail Boss under a 158gr LRNFP in my .357 Mag. is crazy accurate and fun to shoot! It will punch little groups farther out than I can see my bullet holes, it is my rabbit handgun of choice, and I would not hesitate to chase our little desert javelina with it as well.

AZ Southpaw,
That LRNFP is the exact bullet I’ll be loading in 357 brass for mine. If you don’t mind sharing, how many grains of Trail Boss are you using in that load?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
V
V
I use it in my .357 magnum and my .44 magnum, good stuff.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply, VA300WM. And I see you have been a member for a good while with few posts. You might as well keep’em coming. Nobody on here really bites, even though sometimes it can get a little rough.

Doug
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
One of the biggest reasons I like Trail Boss is because as a long-time rifle cartridge hand loader, I like seeing a mostly-full case of powder before I seat a bullet. Just a mental thing I know, but those fluffy little TB doughnuts really fill a case and it make it easier to double-check everything before seating a bullet. Then, all the virtues others mentioned kick-in. Trail Boss under a 158gr LRNFP in my .357 Mag. is crazy accurate and fun to shoot! It will punch little groups farther out than I can see my bullet holes, it is my rabbit handgun of choice, and I would not hesitate to chase our little desert javelina with it as well.

AZ Southpaw,
That LRNFP is the exact bullet I’ll be loading in 357 brass for mine. If you don’t mind sharing, how many grains of Trail Boss are you using in that load?

I settled in at 4.0gr of Trail Boss sparked by a small pistol mag primer. I have since used standard small pistol primers and it doesn't seem to make a ton of difference.

I first tested the load off-hand at an indoor range at 7 yards and the bullet holes were all over each other, and point of aim to the notch and blade of my Ruger Vaquero. Then I slid the target out to 25 yards and shot another group. At that distance, my eyes cannot see bullet holes. I took 5 shots and slid the target back in to find a group about the size of a baseball and still point of aim of those sights. I have other handguns to fit other purposes, so I have no intentions of trying to get any more or less out of this particular .357 Mag!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Southpaw. I appreciate the info.

Doug
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Trail Boss is a fast burning pistol powder and is not necessarily a low recoil powder. It is "designed" to "fill the case" of large case capacity black powder cartridges to aid in preventing double charges. This is why it is tailored to Cowboy Action shooting.

The myth is that anyone can fill any case to the base of the bullet and be safe, that is very misleading and can ruin your day. That "myth" derived from the advertisement of REDUCED RIFLE LOADS and is NOT related to the larger case capacity black powder cartridges it was designed for.

Here is the quote from IMR;

If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to
follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
This quote is where folks misunderstand IMR's instructions. First and foremost, use IMR's load data for a particular cartridge. If IMR does not offer load data for your cartridge...THEN...you can use the formula.

EXAMPLE:

Lets use the 44-40. IMR offers load data for this cartridge. IMR's published load for the 44-40 is located here: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/hodgdon-trail-boss They claim to start with a charge of 5.5gr and a max of 6.5gr. This goes against the caseload formula. However, using said formula https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf I can fill the case to the base of the bullet and get 9.3grs. Here are my results....

6.4gr resulted in chamber pressures @ 7,224 psi. Well below the SAMMI max of 11,000psi
9.3gr resulted in chamber pressures @ 15,182 psi, exceeding the SAAMI max by 4,000 psi

My 44-40 TrailBoss Test Results

On top of all of that, the 9.3gr charge had a velocity of only 1,250fps from my custom 1 1/4" x 20" testing barrel. The 6.4gr velocity from a 24" rifle barrel barely hits 950fps. However, this 6.4gr is fairly accurate for plinking...even at 265 yards!!

Last edited by SavvyJack; 06/18/21.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I use Trail Boss loading .38 Special and 45-70. I think it really shines under a 405 gr slug in the 45-70 and I may decide to take an elk with it one day. Burning 13 grains of Trail Boss and buying the cast bullets online, my 45-70 reloads cost me 40 cents each.

I've loaded and shot Blue Dot in some rifle ammo before. Guess I don't see the reason to sneer at whether a guy likes Trail Boss for some applications over other choices. Truthfully I wouldn't be afraid to shoot an elk with that 405 grain slug over TB and it's easy on the shoulder and ears.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's great for surpressed subsonic rifle loads.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When my daughter was first learning to shoot, I loaded her up some 38 special rounds with a light weight bullet and a very light load of Trail Boss. It was like a popcorn fart going off. Recoil was nothing and she enjoyed shooting it. Later I gave her some that were loaded a little hotter until she was able to shoot standard ammo without worrying about recoil

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use Trail Boss in 38 Special, 44 Special, and 44 Magnum, and I’ve gotten great results. I also have A BUNCH of Trail Boss on hand, and in the current ammo/reloading component situation, I still get to shoot as much as I want when others can’t.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by midnightson

I use it for suppressed 308 loads, great powder for that.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by lastround
Thanks Tikkanut,
I’ve looked at their site, along with Hodgden’s Annual manual and notice both show using magnum primers in 357 magnum loads, but only standard primers if loading in 38 Special brass with the same powder charge. I assume because of more space in the 357 casing. I don’t have any small pistol magnum primers, so wondering if standard primers will work okay. I also don’t have any 38 Special brass.

Load 38 special load data in 357 brass to COAL listed for 38 special brass.

That will give you identical internal capacity behind the bullet and identical pressure curve as loaded in 38 special brass.

They might look unusual, especially if the ogive of the bullet is below the mouth of the case. But they will function flawlessly in your 357 revolver.

Credit given to Dr Ken Howell.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by midnightson

For instance? Do share per favore.

I mean I get .308 out of a bolty .... but you typed "loads" as in plural.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
R
R
TB is great in magnums for those that can’t handle magnums but still want to shoot them. For example, I load 500S&W with a 440gr cast boolit at 600fps for an arthritic friend I shoot with, he loves it! Feels like a 38spcl.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.