24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: MIKEWERNER] #16175932 06/16/21
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,638
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
S
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,638
Remedial?

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Way over my head there.....SLM. Just a common guy here.

But still, perfectly content the way things are, if you are.

Reality.......so to speak.

Originally Posted by SLM
If I were you, I’d get on bismuth subsalicylate for that free flowing mouth problem first.


BP-B2

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: SLM] #16175962 06/16/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
Are you insinuating Jordan Smith and I are related?

Back to ancestry.com

Jordan may be a good guy, after all.

Originally Posted by SLM
Remedial?

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Way over my head there.....SLM. Just a common guy here.

But still, perfectly content the way things are, if you are.

Reality.......so to speak.

Originally Posted by SLM
If I were you, I’d get on bismuth subsalicylate for that free flowing mouth problem first.




"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16176201 06/16/21
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,638
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
S
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,638
Why would I insult Jordan?

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: SLM] #16179474 06/17/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
I guess brevity isn't always the soul of wit.

Originally Posted by SLM
Why would I insult Jordan?


"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16179514 06/17/21
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,993
R
RIO7 Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
R
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,993


Mikey, When it comes to wit, you are 1/2 right. Rio7

IC-A

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: RIO7] #16179541 06/17/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
Never give up on me, RIO!

You got that high fence fixed yet? How many fair chase animals escaped?

Originally Posted by RIO7


Mikey, When it comes to wit, you are 1/2 right. Rio7


"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: BuzzH] #16185621 06/20/21
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,088
R
ribka Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,088
Buzz why is BHA supporting an anti hunting eco terrorists to run BLM?





Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
How many elk have you lost, Buzz? Ever witnessed any problems with a 243?

As most everyone knows........you have to buy a doe tag when drawing an Iowa buck tag.

Sometimes........when a hunter fills the buck tag......they will go back out with the doe tag......and maybe a video camera.

Get a little excited when I'm trailing a boogered doe (after proper waiting)........and the hunter says something like: "Screw it.......it's not like it's a 150 inch buck......let's call it."

The biggest surprise of IRO was the wound rates. Everyone is an expert before and when they arrive.

When they want to poke the bales after a morning hunt........go check the stand location for blood (hint).

Last November.....saw an old fat man shoot a cow elk in the lower front leg (3rd shot)......100 yards from his truck. The leg was swinging. Any guesses how far he tracked it? 30-06, looked like a 721 with a steel tube Weaver.

Kinda now convinced.........it's the norm.

After all, it's only a 'lowly' doe or cow.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Buzz,

Why the obvious disdain for public land?

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Most all the GF guys/gals know who I am in this part of the world, including the Director, assistant directors, commission, biologists, wardens. I've worked with a lot of them for a long time.

Why would I give a chit who outfits Cow creek? Most of its public anyway.



What disdain for public lands?...you sound confused.

BTW, did you actually read the elk regulations yet? Probably still confused about those as well....




You're all over the map...I can't help you with your choice of friends or who you guide on your place. Maybe pick better friends or better clients...not my pig, not my farm.

Same with the elk that you saw wounded...not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK.

I lost one elk with a rifle, that I eventually found. A spike bull that I just flat made a bad shot on at about 80 yards with a .338 and 250 grain partitions. Shot 17 other elk with that rifle as well as numerous deer, a dall sheep, black bears, shiras moose, etc. and it worked fine, not much different than the other rifles I've shot big-game with. Still have it but the last time I shot it was at a muskox in AK several years ago.

No, never witnessed any problems with a .243 on deer, elk, pronghorn, bears, bighorn sheep, and watched a friend kill a moose with one in Montana as well with a 100 grain sierra...one shot and that was that. The folks I hunt with are top shelf and know how to hunt, shoot, etc.


trans gender non binary transcendent mermaid queen-king
Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: BuzzH] #16185677 06/20/21
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,088
R
ribka Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,088
APT Requests Documents for Biden Nominee Regarding Troubling Connections
June 17, 2021
Today, APT filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Montana Governor’s Office and related agencies regarding Tracy Stone-Manning, who has been nominated as the Director of the Bureau of Land Management under the Department of the Interior. APT has requested records for her past roles in Montana state government over selling political access and her associations with extremist groups. Given the significant authority she would be given at the Bureau of Land Management, it is critical that the American public have confidence in her ability to lead this agency. In this role, Stone-Manning would be granted extensive authority over federal lands. Yet, as recent reporting shows, there are some concerning questions regarding her past. In one instance, Stone-Manning received a personal loan from a political donor, with interest rates below market value. This loan was given at the time she worked for Senator Jon Tester and would have been subject to certain Senate gift rules. No records have been produce to indicate that she complied with such rules. Additionally, news outlets have reported that Stone-Manning was part of a federal criminal investigation for eco-terrorism activities and involved with a radical environmental group.




great nominee Buzz. selling our public lands so we have no access. What does BHA do again?







Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
How many elk have you lost, Buzz? Ever witnessed any problems with a 243?

As most everyone knows........you have to buy a doe tag when drawing an Iowa buck tag.

Sometimes........when a hunter fills the buck tag......they will go back out with the doe tag......and maybe a video camera.

Get a little excited when I'm trailing a boogered doe (after proper waiting)........and the hunter says something like: "Screw it.......it's not like it's a 150 inch buck......let's call it."

The biggest surprise of IRO was the wound rates. Everyone is an expert before and when they arrive.

When they want to poke the bales after a morning hunt........go check the stand location for blood (hint).

Last November.....saw an old fat man shoot a cow elk in the lower front leg (3rd shot)......100 yards from his truck. The leg was swinging. Any guesses how far he tracked it? 30-06, looked like a 721 with a steel tube Weaver.

Kinda now convinced.........it's the norm.

After all, it's only a 'lowly' doe or cow.

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Buzz,

Why the obvious disdain for public land?

Originally Posted by BuzzH
Most all the GF guys/gals know who I am in this part of the world, including the Director, assistant directors, commission, biologists, wardens. I've worked with a lot of them for a long time.

Why would I give a chit who outfits Cow creek? Most of its public anyway.



What disdain for public lands?...you sound confused.

BTW, did you actually read the elk regulations yet? Probably still confused about those as well....




You're all over the map...I can't help you with your choice of friends or who you guide on your place. Maybe pick better friends or better clients...not my pig, not my farm.

Same with the elk that you saw wounded...not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK.

I lost one elk with a rifle, that I eventually found. A spike bull that I just flat made a bad shot on at about 80 yards with a .338 and 250 grain partitions. Shot 17 other elk with that rifle as well as numerous deer, a dall sheep, black bears, shiras moose, etc. and it worked fine, not much different than the other rifles I've shot big-game with. Still have it but the last time I shot it was at a muskox in AK several years ago.

No, never witnessed any problems with a .243 on deer, elk, pronghorn, bears, bighorn sheep, and watched a friend kill a moose with one in Montana as well with a 100 grain sierra...one shot and that was that. The folks I hunt with are top shelf and know how to hunt, shoot, etc.

Last edited by ribka; 06/20/21.

trans gender non binary transcendent mermaid queen-king
Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16186401 06/20/21
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 515
S
Skatchewan Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Limiting shots to 300 yards and under what bullet would you use? Any success stories or pics would be great.


The .243 would not be my first choice, but I would likely choose a partition.

Having said that, I saw a very large cow shot with a .243 and am SST bullet. One shot.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16194053 06/23/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
There are enough pro-243 posts to liven this elk forum up forever.




"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC-B

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: ribka] #16194099 06/23/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
WT….?

Now………Buzz likely just dove into a deep prairie dog hole, never to return.

What do you have against whack-a-mole?

He’ll probably just fall back on selling cookbooks.

Originally Posted by ribka
Buzz why is BHA supporting an anti hunting eco terrorists to run BLM?



"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: MIKEWERNER] #16194529 06/23/21
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
M
MIKEWERNER Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
M
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,768
Brad and his proverbs…..

Quote

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. ... I have seen what is good called evil and what is evil called good.


Originally Posted by Brad
You definitely resemble the proverb; “those that know the least say the most.”




"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16201541 06/26/21
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 527
W
Wrapids Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 527
Do mucking forons never get tired of bullshit?

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: 444Matt] #16201802 06/26/21
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 36,676
S
Seafire Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 36,676
I'm from back east ( Virginia) and live out west ( Oregon)...

I have to think its funny that people who don't live in elk country think a 243 is adequate for taking down an elk.

Yet people who actually live in Elk Country, many think a 243 is just fine for elk, and do so on a regular basis...

There are a few guys I know who have chimed in, in favor of the 243...

and i can tell ya, if those guys say it, its been because they have done it.. and more than once..

and I know you can take that to the bank, with no doubts...


"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: Seafire] #16234865 07/08/21
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,266
Anjin Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,266
Yup. I personally wouldn't use a 243, simply due to my confidence level in my own limited experience, but there are surely many in the Western States and Alaska who think nothing about using what they've always had.

In fact, indigenous folks commonly are said to use 556 FMJs. Just saying.

Norm


Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Re: Cow elk and the 243 Winchester [Re: ribka] #16236733 07/08/21
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,867
Mackay_Sagebrush Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by ribka
Buzz why is BHA supporting an anti hunting eco terrorists to run BLM?








Ribka
Where does BHA fit into all this?


THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
553 registered members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1sgLunde, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,057 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.29 Page Time: 0.058s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8687 MB (Peak: 1.0229 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-07-28 13:27:09 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS