Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
fire this morning destroyed nearly all my camping gear. I spend about 35 nights a year in my sleeping bag, so my stuff gets used!! For years I have used a +20 cabelas boundary waters down sleeping bag. it was very large yet compressed down to a pretty small size, I can't find anything else like it. after looking around at what the sleeping bag market has out there I wonder does anyone actually sleep in those things? I HATE MUMMY BAGS!!!!! all the large rectangular bags are massive car camping type bags,

large, lightweight, packable and down. it looks like the industry has totally moved away from this, even LL bean quit making their comparable bag. any ideas? I do have a cabelas instinct zero bag that I have been also using for cold weather as in below 25 degrees. that is easy to replace. I just want to get a replacement for that warmer bag.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Feathered Friends Condor. Available in 10 20 and 30 degree versions. 900 fill power down, pertex outer, made in USA. It doesn't get much better than FF.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear about the fire, CC.

Budget? Look into a down quilt from UGQ or EE, or a semi-rectangular bag like the Western Mountaineering Ponderosa.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
you guys are great keep the options coming. never seen feathered friends. I just emailed them with a question on that condor. pretty expensive!!! but if its what I like I don't care. wiggys is the other I have been looking at. I keep my stuff in a giant cabelas dry bag, I call it the body bag. its fully ready at all times to just grab and go, in fact I was using it friday and saturday, loaded with all my kuiu stuff, sleeping pad, and often times even a dome tent for boat trips. all I need to add is food and drink, and I am ready for pretty much what ever. most everything is replaceable. that large down sleeping bag and I have spent upteen nights in, I was sick about losing.

my wife was like, umm the car got burnt, the motorcycles burnt and you're worried about a sleeping bag?!?! I was like umm yeah!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you are straying from down the Wiggy's is a good choice. I have used his Hunter bag for >than 25 years. You can store it compressed and wash it at home when needed. Get their compression stuff sack, you can store it compressed w/out damage.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry about the loses at your home. We had a fire before that took out a couple of rooms. Lost some hunting gear along with household items.

Upside....Homeowners insurance rewarded us financially, as it should.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If you are straying from down the Wiggy's is a good choice. I have used his Hunter bag for >than 25 years. You can store it compressed and wash it at home when needed. Get their compression stuff sack, you can store it compressed w/out damage.

mike r

I have a few, and they make them big/wide, but, even compressed they're big, and they're heavy.

I love them for some things, but they are not my go to for backpacking.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't sleep in a mummy bag either. I've been able to compromise with a semi-rectangular bag .. not rectangular but still has a much larger foot area and a bit more hip room. Check out western mountaineering. I have 3 of their bags ... 40, 25, and 5 degree. Another option would be a down blanket. I have one by thermarest. It tucks in around your feet well, drapes nicely, but you can also stick out body parts to cool if it is too warm and you can get out of it in a hurry if there's a need.

Sorry to hear 'bout the fire. frown

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a side sleeper and very much like the pad pocket on the Big Agnes bags. They offer more than just mummy bags, with good prices if you can find them on their outlet page.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
I'm a side sleeper and very much like the pad pocket on the Big Agnes bags. They offer more than just mummy bags, with good prices if you can find them on their outlet page.

Which bag are you running. I looked at feathered friends and I don’t think their largest bag is going to be big enough. It’s 64 inches inside and if I put my arms and elbows down on my side. 64 inches is barely enough to go around. Leaning toward wiggy unless something else comes up

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry to hear that Cummins, hope you had good insurance and good luck with the new gear selection.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Which bag are you running. I looked at feathered friends and I don’t think their largest bag is going to be big enough. It’s 64 inches inside and if I put my arms and elbows down on my side. 64 inches is barely enough to go around. Leaning toward wiggy unless something else comes up
I use the Lost Ranger - Long, but it's no longer listed on their site. The one I have, and I've had 2 over the past 20yrs, have been down and I have been very happy with them. I went with the long for the extra girth as I'm fat. Thier Echo (synthetic) and/or Diamond (down) Park series is 80" at the shoulder.

Last edited by pointer; 06/21/21.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I use the Lost Ranger - Long, but it's no longer listed on their site. The one I have, and I've had 2 over the past 20yrs, have been down and I have been very happy with them. I went with the long for the extra girth as I'm fat. Thier Echo (synthetic) and/or Diamond (down) Park series is 80" at the shoulder.

so is your lost ranger the same setup as the diamond? I have been using a exped outfitter LXW pad, is that diamond really setup for big agnes pads only. I think my pad is bigger. although I may be replacing that pad. I can't tell if its damaged beyond cleaning just yet. should know tomorrow. big agnes pads?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I can't sleep in a mummy bag either. I've been able to compromise with a semi-rectangular bag .. not rectangular but still has a much larger foot area and a bit more hip room. Check out western mountaineering. I have 3 of their bags ... 40, 25, and 5 degree. Another option would be a down blanket. I have one by thermarest. It tucks in around your feet well, drapes nicely, but you can also stick out body parts to cool if it is too warm and you can get out of it in a hurry if there's a need.

Sorry to hear 'bout the fire. frown

I’m another big fan of the Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bag. I also hate mummy bags, and mine gives me all the room I need (a Sequoia with microfiber shell). I use a Sea to Summit air mattress that is terrific as well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You might want to look at Enlightened Equipment's Convert. Great bag and be a bag, a quilt or even a blanket. They run just over $420 for a 20 degree, 850 fill.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry to hear about the fire.
I think a down quilt with a good sleeping mat is a great option for someone that doesn’t like being restricted by a bag. I use a UGQ quilt and Exped Downmat and like the combination a lot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i concur with a quilt/blanket. about the only time i use a bag is extreme cold

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Kifaru Slick "wide" bag will do it all.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by iddave
Kifaru Slick "wide" bag will do it all.

Dave

I really like a quilt combined with a good mat, but I think you’re right on this for some people.
I always wanted to try a Slick bag for winter weather and picked up a good deal on a 0 deg, regular length, wide bag. I knew it would be longer than I need, all regular bags are for me. And I also knew it would be too wide, but I thought for cold weather and possibly going to bed with clothes and coat on, it might be fine. I way underestimated the size. Longer than any regular length bag I have, and the width is obviously made for giants. I got my 6’ 2” / 225 lb friend to try it and it was too big for him as well. Even a regular/regular would be way too much waisted bag for me.
So I can’t see any reasonably sized human ever feeling constricted in a Slick bag lol.

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/24/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

so is your lost ranger the same setup as the diamond? I have been using a exped outfitter LXW pad, is that diamond really setup for big agnes pads only. I think my pad is bigger. although I may be replacing that pad. I can't tell if its damaged beyond cleaning just yet. should know tomorrow. big agnes pads?
The pad sleeve will work for any pad that will fit. The different bags list the size of pads that will work. I have both an insulated and uninsulated BA pad and have been very pleased with them. The Lost Ranger would be similar to the 20Âş Diamond Park bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.